Dave's RSM 500 Adventure

Heli Dave

Well here we go, hope you all enjoy this.

I ordered the RSM 500 in white yesterday, got an email today that it can be delivered by Red Sea from 5th Jan.

Will be taking it slow to enjoy the adventure!

Current thoughts are;

Full reef set up with live rock, plenty of corals and a few fish.

Looking at using the red sea reef care program.

I am sure there will be lots to learn and discover along the way.

All comments and thoughts greatly received.

Will keep you posted as the adventure progresses.

David Shaw

That's such good news! Well done you.

You plan is exactly what i did. I bought in some Dr Tim's one and only, and it helped cycle the tank in a matter of days. Now my readings are back to normal. Definitely worked for me, so i recommend getting couple of bottles in for set up day.

Get a piece of plywood, cut to side for the frame footprint, as this will help distribute the weight and you cannot see it as it is hidden under the tank once it is assembled.

I transferred my old live rock and got additional rock from Oasis who have great quality, flu of corralline. You can hand pick it. I also bought 3 tubs of live sand before it arrives and that is about the right amount unless you want a deep sand bed.

Also you will need to get a 300 watt heater to sit in the sump, along with a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter so you can operate from the power centre.

I am not sure if you make up for own salt water, if not Oasis arranged to have the water delivered to me on set up day, which saved a lot of time and hassle.

Make sure you rope in some friends for assembly and lifting, it is at least a 2 man job, 3 in my case as i can't even put up a shelf.

David Shaw

If there is any info you need from me just shout. Can hardly wait for you to get yours so we can compare notes and experiences :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Awesome!! Can't wait to see it set up!

Do you have to be named Dave to get one of these?

Heli Dave

Hi David the floor support should be okay for the tank as it will sit in an area that was reinforced previously when I had a large Discus tank. I am intending to make my own salt water, have the RO unit and pressure pump ready to mount ( looking to do over Christmas break). How much live rock do you have?

David Shaw

I have about 80 pounds of live rock as i am not a fan of using too much. I like space around all sides (to clean) and to have lots of swim though caves and holes.

Looks like my tank has cycled now as my tests today show 0 Ammonia, <1 Nitrate, 0 Nitrite.

Heli Dave

I have about 80 pounds of live rock as i am not a fan of using too much. I like space around all sides (to clean) and to have lots of swim though caves and holes.

Looks like my tank has cycled now as my tests today show 0 Ammonia, <1 Nitrate, 0 Nitrite.

Just had a look at the Mr Saltwater video on Dr Tims one and only, definitely will be using. Can I cycle with just live rock as the ammonia creator?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Can I cycle with just live rock as the ammonia creator?

Yes... there should be enough die off, unless it's real cured and was moved quickly - you can always add a deli shrimp, that's how I have cycled every tank I have owned & worked great for me :dance:

David Shaw

Just had a look at the Mr Saltwater video on Dr Tims one and only, definitely will be using. Can I cycle with just live rock as the ammonia creator?

With a tank of over 400 litres (if memory serves), he recommends putting fish in to create the ammonia spike claiming no stress or damage to the fish. Apparently it is a product used on non domestic aquariums also who don;t have the luxury of allowing a tank to cycle. For smaller tanks he suggests a deli shrimp etc. I put a little over the recommended dose in, as he said you can't overdose when using one and only. You can always use shrimp etc if you are wary. My ammonia rise was minuscule as a result of using his product. My test results for the last few days have been perfect so i have now put the fish in and they are happy and healthy. I am going to go to Oasis on thursday to pick up some turbos and a couple more shrimps and maybe some corals :)

David Shaw

Thats a big help for you Dave. My lounge wasn't that organised on my set up day. Neil needs to offer a visit and set up service :)

Heli Dave

Hey Dave,
Sorry for budging in, but I think you might find the next link helpful.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...a-max-s-line-assembly-videos.html#post1016515

All the best, and good luck.
Aviad

Hi Aviad

Thanks for the link to the video, very well put together and should make assembly really easy. The design of all components looks very good, one point with regard to the doors. I can understand drilling both sides for the hinge attachment to ease production of one common door versus left and right, it is a bit disappointing though that no colour plugs are included to fill the unused hinge holes.

Regards

Dave