Dave's RSM 500 Adventure

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
010.gif
:clink:

Heli Dave

With a tank of over 400 litres (if memory serves), he recommends putting fish in to create the ammonia spike claiming no stress or damage to the fish. Apparently it is a product used on non domestic aquariums also who don;t have the luxury of allowing a tank to cycle. For smaller tanks he suggests a deli shrimp etc. I put a little over the recommended dose in, as he said you can't overdose when using one and only. You can always use shrimp etc if you are wary. My ammonia rise was minuscule as a result of using his product. My test results for the last few days have been perfect so i have now put the fish in and they are happy and healthy. I am going to go to Oasis on thursday to pick up some turbos and a couple more shrimps and maybe some corals :)

So what did you buy from Oasis today?

David Shaw

I am going tomorrow Dave, going to pick up some water and perhaps some snails and shrimp, perhaps a nice coral too :)

5th Jan, wow, that's great. Keep us posted! Hopefully you will get an AM delivery, so it gives you the day to assemble. Those videos should help enormously!

Heli Dave

I am going tomorrow Dave, going to pick up some water and perhaps some snails and shrimp, perhaps a nice coral too :)

5th Jan, wow, that's great. Keep us posted! Hopefully you will get an AM delivery, so it gives you the day to assemble. Those videos should help enormously!

Yes watched all the videos, think I will use them along with the printed instructions during the build. Here's to an early delivery.

David Shaw

If you rope in a couple of friends you should be up and assembled by the end of the day on the 5th. Fingers crossed!

I would offer to help but i am working that week so i hope all goes well!

Any word on US pricing ? My LFS quoted me over 4000.oo us for this tank.... Seems like they are raising the prices again.....

Heli Dave

If you rope in a couple of friends you should be up and assembled by the end of the day on the 5th. Fingers crossed!

I would offer to help but i am working that week so i hope all goes well!
I am lucky that family are close by with good muscles so should be okay for delivery day, thinking at the moment of moving the pallet into the garage on delivery and then bringing parts in for assembly? I am back at work on the Friday so may have to start tweaking over that weekend.

Heli Dave

Been shopping today and bought a refractometer, also been looking at different makes of heater for the sump, not sure which to go for, any suggestions greatly appreciated. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas, 9 days till the 500 arrives.

steved13

PREMIUM
I like the Rena Smart heaters, never heard of a problem and it's not glass. There is a more popular brand though that most use, I can't think of it at the moment.

David Shaw

I have always liked the Rena's, really reliable. Make sure you get one of those 3 pin to 2 pin adapters so you can use it in the power centre.

Tick tock to delivery, i bet you are SO excited!

Heli Dave

I have always liked the Rena's, really reliable. Make sure you get one of those 3 pin to 2 pin adapters so you can use it in the power centre.

Tick tock to delivery, i bet you are SO excited!

Yes sooooooo excited, watched the assembly videos several times, even been out and bought a new mallet and spirit level.
Have all the parts now for the RO/DI unit so will be putting it together ready for next week.

David Shaw

I wish i had the time and space to use an RO unit but sadly i don't. Happy to get my 2 weekly cans of salt water from the LFS, makes life easier and works for me.

Take lots of pics of the assembly so we can see how you are going on.