Daniel's tank upgrade to RSM 250

CDMSeaLife

Hi Daniel, I was looking through your thread and I found where you first install led strips and than noticed you changed them slightly to:
- a 24 " True lumen actinic Pro LED strip in the back,
- a 36" True Lumen actinic Pro LED in the front (door that open),
- a 36" Ecoxotic pink / blue Stuner LED strip in the front.

I really like the TrueLumen actinic Deep Blue, but I'm not sure if 36" will fit in my RSM 250 C, I'm wondering if it's slightly shorter in width. (With lid all the way up the hinges are in the way for install in the back and in the front it's right at 36") Do you think two 24" would work. Also, if not to much of a hassle, do you have pics of current led strips installed? One more thing; it looks like I have to buy transformer and splitter to string the two strips together, is that correct? Sorry for all the questions :dunce:

Danreef

Hi Daniel, I was looking through your thread and I found where you first install led strips and than noticed you changed them slightly to:
- a 24 " True lumen actinic Pro LED strip in the back,
- a 36" True Lumen actinic Pro LED in the front (door that open),
- a 36" Ecoxotic pink / blue Stuner LED strip in the front.

I really like the TrueLumen actinic Deep Blue, but I'm not sure if 36" will fit in my RSM 250 C, I'm wondering if it's slightly shorter in width. (With lid all the way up the hinges are in the way for install in the back and in the front it's right at 36") Do you think two 24" would work. Also, if not to much of a hassle, do you have pics of current led strips installed? One more thing; it looks like I have to buy transformer and splitter to string the two strips together, is that correct? Sorry for all the questions :dunce:

Cheryl, all the time I am doing questions, and reading postings from others to learn. So, " do not be sorry for asking questions", happy that you do it !!!!.

Yes, I changed my setup a little because I had a problem with one Ecoxotic Stunner strip. The one I place first in the back. It was juts bad luck, it came faulty from factory and 4 LEDs stop working. I changed it for a True Lumen Pro actinic strip and I added the 36" True Lumen Pro actinic in the front.

Here are the pictures:

They are NOT Screwed to the lid. I didn't want to make holes that could allow evaporated water enter in the hood electronics. They are attached with 3M Exterior double tape. The strongest that you can find of this tape. They support humidity. As you see, the True Lumen Pro LEDs legs are attached by the double tape and over it I added the same tape "Just in case". When I open the hood, I always take a look to the attachment. I had a similar setup in my 14G biocube during 7 months until I decided to open the hood and install it inside. So I know by fact that they are waterproof. Moreover, I dropped twice the 36" Ecoxotic, by accident, inside of my 12G Mr Aqua tank (the one pictured on the firsts postings with the SPS that I upgraded to this RSM250) and they can be under the water without issues. """That do not mean they are built for underwater use""". Just waterproof !!

Let me know if you have any more questions, please.

Cheers
Daniel

newo11

Wow - just read through your full thread. Very impressive. Incredible growth and color. Some of those recent additions are very, very nice. I really liked the bonsai - that was a nice size piece you have!

And I echo the comments about a TOTM nomination!

newo11

Thank you Joeys !!!

Yesterady, Saturday, a LFS did a free cookout to promote the new local. This LFS is an excellent one full of corals and each time you go, it is very difficult to return home with your hands free. Anyone knows if there exist "Corals Anonymous" ? It will be nice to assist to some group meetings to stop buying corals. Bottom line, after 2 burgers, 1 hot dog, a nice glass of soda and 15% discount :eek:lsmile: I came with 3 new corals for the RSM250 :dunno:

Here they are:

Plate purple Montipora

Name????

Name for these 2 colorful corals ???

Cheers to all
Daniel

Middle pic looks like a cyphastrea. Bottom pic - on the left is dragon soul favia

newo11

Yesterday I was at the house of a Boston Reefer Society member. He sell corals to pay for the hobby (has a HUGE tank and lots of frag tanks). I was there to pick up some zoas, Palies, a red goniopora and mushrooms. But I couldn't resist and came also with another Acro and extras.

So here are the new guys:

ACRO (Please, don't ask for names, I am a disaster on that mater)

??????????

New Zoas

New Ricordea and Mushroom (They are VERY SMALL !!, the camera zoom makes it big)

From a local Reefer in my town......a GIFT....is the broken tip of an Acro I liked from his tank. It less than a half inch long. Let see if he grows.

New Zoas and Palies

Red Goniopora

Full Tank

Love that first pic - looks like a garf bonsai to me. Very, very nice!!! Really colored up well in the later updates!

Danreef

Two weeks I have not posted any picture. So here we go.

Love that first pic - looks like a garf bonsai to me. Very, very nice!!! Really colored up well in the later updates!

Newo11 The coral "like a garf bonsai" started with STN (Slow Tissue Necrosis) in the base from the back to the front. When I saw it, I took it out and covered all dead tissue area with superglue. The coral is recovering, well at least looks like there is no advance and I can see a slow tissue growth over the superglue. The other way to stop the STN will be to cut all the healthy branches, glue them to a rock and trash the rest of the coral. But because the superglue worked before I decided to use it again. First picture is from 8/4 and second picture from today.

8/4/2014 after the superglue treatment. All the white area is superglue. I covered also part of the good tissue.

Today 8/17/2014. No STN progression and I believe some tissue growth. We need to wait.

Well, now some shots of the tank as it is today 8/17/2014

The YELLOW LEATHER coral on the right bottom of the picture came from my 14G Biocube. It grew too big so I have to cut branches and trade them. I kept one for this tank.

The green ACAN is a new addition of last week. Traded for a Branch of the yellow leather coral

Last edited:

Oxylebius

The coral "like a garf bonsai" started with STN (Slow Tissue Necrosis) in the base from the back to the front. When I saw it, I took it out and covered all dead tissue area with superglue. The coral is recovering, well at least looks like there is no advance and I can see a slow tissue growth over the superglue. The other way to stop the STN will be to cut all the healthy branches, glue them to a rock and trash the rest of the coral. But because the superglue worked before I decided to use it again. First picture is from 8/4 and second picture from today.

Today 8/17/2014. No STN progression and I believe some tissue growth. We need to wait.

Looks like a Pocillopora next to it (top right), perhaps a little stinging action was/is happening, they are semi-aggressive. I'd give the acro a little more space, away from the Poci.

Danreef

Looks like a Pocillopora next to it (top right), perhaps a little stinging action was/is happening, they are semi-aggressive. I'd give the acro a little more space, away from the Poci.

Oxy....the pink Pocillopora had always acros nearby it. Almost touching in my 12G tank. Thank you for the suggestion but I belive is more a sign of stress. Since I setup the dosing of Ca and Alk in June I did not modify it. Yesterday I measured and it was a little low. Ca=380 , Alk : 6-7 dKh (more around 6). SPS are growing. So I started to increase the dosing slowly. Could be also when it was cut. The coral was in a stone. The stone was cut with a circular saw (heat ?) Plus at home dipping. Plus new environment. ...etc

As of today the STN in the coral has not increased neither reduced. I will keep an eye on it and I hope I do not have to frag the branches. If I see progresion I will.

Thanks again

Daniel

Koestby

Good reading Daniel, and what a good looking tank U got...! Hopefully mine will be something like this aswell :) Kudos !