Daniel's tank upgrade to RSM 250

Danreef

Well......this is all for now. Now I will update the thread more sporadically. I will keep my fingers crossed praying that nothing goes out of balance. Using real ocean water (Petco) helps a lot. The parameters are always the same. I just measure the salinity of the Ocean/Petco water and the 2 part supplements because I need to know what will be the new dosing.

I hope in some months the tank looks more "real" and not a bunch of glued corals ...... LOL

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

Roy Page

Dan, I have never seen many corals in a 250, did they all come out of the other DT ?

I would love to see a photo with each coral annotated with its name and type.
Would give us some idea what to put in our 250.

They look very healthy and some great photos as well.
What camera are you using ?

Roy

Danreef

Dan, I have never seen many corals in a 250, did they all come out of the other DT ?

I would love to see a photo with each coral annotated with its name and type.
Would give us some idea what to put in our 250.

They look very healthy and some great photos as well.
What camera are you using ?

Roy

Thank you Roy......Yes, ALL came from the 12G MrAqua book-shelve rimless tank. Now you understand why I did the upgrade. the red clown fish was in that tank and with almost no space to swim without touching a coral. You can see him under the big montipora in the center to the left of the monti.
Some of the corals broke when I was taking them from the rocks, but, yes, they are all from this nano. I lost one Acro due to the alk spike I had and wrote about it. Amazing, in 24 hour or less it was all white / dead, not bleached.

Look these pictures and you will find them all:

some are hidden in the back of the 2 rocks. no space to have them in the front. I learned a BIG LESSON........Never ever I will do such a crazy thing. TOO MANY in such a small space. I never thought I will be able to growth them. They were small-medium size frags.

NAMES ?????? o boy, I am not the correct one. See what happened with your "hammer"....LOL.

You can see also some zoas. those came from the 14G biocube. In between the SPS i will add zoas, some Palies and mushrooms. But for now I want to allow this to achieve an equilibrium. The bioload is important and for the first year the tank is always cycling. I can have a break of Hair algae in some months or Cyano, etc. So now I have to be very careful !!!!!! Keep the husbandry, dosing and keep watching every day all the details in the corals. YES.... as you said they are healthy "today" and I have to see them exactly like that in the following months. As soon as something is out of order, they are the best indicators. Watch them every day and any moment you can. Teach your family too, also the ones that do not care. When I am traveling I call them and ask questions about the corals that provide me hints to know if something is going wrong.

CAMERA: Just the Galaxy S5 camera that come with the phone.

Your tank is pointing to be a MAGNIFICENT TANK !!!! you will see it.

Read, read and read more and never stop reading. You did great following all the indications of the experts in this forum. I am not one, of those.

One last advice of this guy: If you want to go with SPS.... do not be afraid. You can have all those SPS without the need of sophisticated equipment. Moreover, let say that you want "some SPS" , like 70-80 % soft corals and 20-30%% SPS/LPS. Then you will not need dosing. With a 10-20% water change every week the SPS will grow and will do OK. Start with the hardy ones and place 1 or 2 Acros, not expensive, or small frags and let it go. You will see all will go OK. Yes, some coral will die, I lost corals and I will lose corals for sure. But most of them will growth and drive very healthy.

EXAMPLE: My 14G Biocube. Most soft coral and juts a few SPS with one Acro. They are all doing great. Tank has 15 months

Picture upside down:

With zoom. In the middle to the right side, green pale is the acropora. NO dosing at all. All the Ca and Alk is for them. The tank has around 10G of water (after sand/rocks) .I change every week 2 G.

Roy Page

Thank you Roy......Yes, ALL came from the 12G MrAqua book-shelve rimless tank. Now you understand why I did the upgrade. the red clown fish was in that tank and with almost no space to swim without touching a coral. You can see him under the big montipora in the center to the left of the monti.
Some of the corals broke when I was taking them from the rocks, but, yes, they are all from this nano. I lost one Acro due to the alk spike I had and wrote about it. Amazing, in 24 hour or less it was all white / dead, not bleached.

Look these pictures and you will find them all:

some are hidden in the back of the 2 rocks. no space to have them in the front. I learned a BIG LESSON........Never ever I will do such a crazy thing. TOO MANY in such a small space. I never thought I will be able to growth them. They were small-medium size frags.

NAMES ?????? o boy, I am not the correct one. See what happened with your "hammer"....LOL.

You can see also some zoas. those came from the 14G biocube. In between the SPS i will add zoas, some Palies and mushrooms. But for now I want to allow this to achieve an equilibrium. The bioload is important and for the first year the tank is always cycling. I can have a break of Hair algae in some months or Cyano, etc. So now I have to be very careful !!!!!! Keep the husbandry, dosing and keep watching every day all the details in the corals. YES.... as you said they are healthy "today" and I have to see them exactly like that in the following months. As soon as something is out of order, they are the best indicators. Watch them every day and any moment you can. Teach your family too, also the ones that do not care. When I am traveling I call them and ask questions about the corals that provide me hints to know if something is going wrong.

CAMERA: Just the Galaxy S5 camera that come with the phone.

Your tank is pointing to be a MAGNIFICENT TANK !!!! you will see it.

Read, read and read more and never stop reading. You did great following all the indications of the experts in this forum. I am not one, of those.

One last advice of this guy: If you want to go with SPS.... do not be afraid. You can have all those SPS without the need of sophisticated equipment. Moreover, let say that you want "some SPS" , like 70-80 % soft corals and 20-30%% SPS/LPS. Then you will not need dosing. With a 10-20% water change every week the SPS will grow and will do OK. Start with the hardy ones and place 1 or 2 Acros, not expensive, or small frags and let it go. You will see all will go OK. Yes, some coral will die, I lost corals and I will lose corals for sure. But most of them will growth and drive very healthy.

EXAMPLE: My 14G Biocube. Most soft coral and juts a few SPS with one Acro. They are all doing great. Tank has 15 months

Picture upside down:

With zoom. In the middle to the right side, green pale is the acropora. NO dosing at all. All the Ca and Alk is for them. The tank has around 10G of water (after sand/rocks) .I change every week 2 G.

Just great ! What else can I say !
I appreciate you doing your best to help us. We are intending to add another coral this weekend and now have some candidates to look for at the LFS.
I think we need some more education in regards to the water chemistry, not fully understanding how each metal interact with each other and are needed or not needed by various corals.
We will get there, but it may be a long way down this road.

Roy

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Great post Daniel, pics & advise ! Everything is looking really healthy, impressive sps growth ! You look like an expert to me :)

Danreef

Great post Daniel, pics & advise ! Everything is looking really healthy, impressive sps growth ! You look like an expert to me :)

Thank you Glenn

Here is the weekend update. I said I was going to post more sporadically now, but I still setting up the tank with electronics. So here we go:

Added 2 Ecoxotic strips (36" blue and purple LED and 24" all Blue LED). These will provide the Sunrise and Sunset. Plus always add a little more of color and shimmering.

Added the Jebao WP25. It is working very well and was only $80. See video for waves and how corals looks with the LED addition PLUS the Reef Spect T5 from red Sea. Well I just saw the video and it isn't the best one for image, but waves can be seen very well. Next week I will try a better one.

http://s1106.photobucket.com/user/dematosdg/media/20140622_193847_zpsfe4aa8c7.mp4.html

I took out the media basket and the Macro Algae (Chaeto) is growing very well.

Started to setup the electronics and dosing pumps. In the following pictures you will see the controller for the Jebao WP25, The controller for the Ramp up/down of the LEDs, 2 Dosing pumps (BRS 1.1 ml/min) and the Reef Keeper Lite components ( Two PC4, 1 SL1 for pH ).
Sorry for the Soda bottles, but the 1 G flat containers for dosing from BRS have not arrived yet.

From this guy I control lights, pumps, dosing pumps, heater(s) (I plant to add another heater for winter as backup), etc.

That's is all.

Daniel

Lexinverts

That looks really nice, Dan. We've got the same dosing pumps, Jebao, and chiller. How do you like that Reefkeeper Lite controller? How about an auto-topoff? Have you considered getting one of those? I have the Tunze Osmolator, and am very happy with it.

Danreef

That looks really nice, Dan. We've got the same dosing pumps, Jebao, and chiller. How do you like that Reefkeeper Lite controller? How about an auto-topoff? Have you considered getting one of those? I have the Tunze Osmolator, and am very happy with it.

Thank you !!!

See page 1 postings of this thread. I have the nano tunze osmolator. I was using it in one of my nanos tanks. It has been working very weel for the last 4-5 weeks.

The Reef Keeper Lite is FANTASTIC. I have 5 of those. One on each tank (2 freshwater and 3 nano reef). Of the 3 nano reef tanks I am left over now with one, the 14 G Biocube and the RSM 250. So I will have an extra RKL as a backup. The Lite Model is the basic model, but unless you want to deal with internet, you do not need anything else. When I got the first one was to use it as a heater controller. You set it up in a way that if heater goes over, let say 78 F, the RKL shut the electricity to the heater. Later I started to use it in ALL. In Internet is ful of info and for $119 you can't find anything better.

The Jebao WP25 is working incredible well (OK I had t for 24 hours :).....but I had for almost a year the WP10 in the nano and no issues ) I need those waves for the SPS/Acros.

Danreef

Well....time for an update: Tank started May 11 2014....so almost 2 months now. On June 17 I finish transferring all the Corals to the RSM 250. So far so good. SPS growing OK.

Added a fan (extracts hot air) controlled by temperature:

Full Tank Picture

Some close-up pictures

Added the yellow leather coral

Danreef

Tank looks fantastic!

Is that a paint stir stick holding the fan?

JA JA JA JA......I was waiting that question. GOOD EYE !!!!! Yes it is !!!! I needed a thin piece of wood to hold the fan. I was going to cut one with the saw when I turned my head and guess what I saw..."The paint stick". It was excellent because it is a thin and not heavy piece of wood. With a small hand saw I did a cut to follow the fan circle and screw them together and the stick to the stand. Done !!!

The idea was to leave as much as I could of the original opening in the stand. I was watching others set-ups and they place the fan in a wood with a hole for the fan and the wood screw to the stand taking a lot of the original opening, like the Red Sea Fan that covers all around the fan. In this way I was able to keep almost all the opening and have the fan generating an extra front to back air current by expelling out air.:chainsaw:

Thank you all for the good comments about the tank. :clink:

Last edited: