Daniel's tank upgrade to RSM 250

3dshooter

Beautiful tank man.

I haven't started a tank yet but reading what everyone says about Sps has me a bit scared of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danreef

Beautiful tank man.

I haven't started a tank yet but reading what everyone says about Sps has me a bit scared of them.

I was thinking the same. But is not exactly like that with today's knowledge and so many SPS grown in aquariums (not wild).

Start your thread and I will follow it and will help. Others will do the same.

If you have read this thread you will see that out of the standard equipment of the RSM 250 I have added an extra pump and using a refugium instead of chemicals. But this last is personal preference. Last I dose for Ca and Alk and that is very easy and can be done manually each day or pumps. No more science in my tank.

The same was in the 13 G I upgraded and you have the pictures on this thread.

Just do it !!!!! And we will help/guide you.

Daniel

3dshooter

Will do. Just holding off on it as the tank is not home yet. Wife has me doing a few weeks of home repair projects before I get to have my fun.

If she stays happy I get to play so I don't mind the extra work.

Danreef

Will do. Just holding off on it as the tank is not home yet. Wife has me doing a few weeks of home repair projects before I get to have my fun.

If she stays happy I get to play so I don't mind the extra work.

Fantastic !!!!

- first....do not be afraid.
- Second....do not rush with the tank cycle.
- Third....start with hardy/colorful SPS and some zoas and mushrooms.
- Fourth: When more confident add hardy Acros.

Done
Ps: keep fish number in the low range.

Danreef

Yesterday I was at the house of a Boston Reefer Society member. He sell corals to pay for the hobby (has a HUGE tank and lots of frag tanks). I was there to pick up some zoas, Palies, a red goniopora and mushrooms. But I couldn't resist and came also with another Acro and extras.

So here are the new guys:

ACRO (Please, don't ask for names, I am a disaster on that mater)

??????????

New Zoas

New Ricordea and Mushroom (They are VERY SMALL !!, the camera zoom makes it big)

From a local Reefer in my town......a GIFT....is the broken tip of an Acro I liked from his tank. It less than a half inch long. Let see if he grows.

New Zoas and Palies

Red Goniopora

Full Tank

Pat24601

I envy your tank. :)

Video of wp25 in action was good. I wanted to see what that looked like.

Last edited:

Danreef

Thanks all for the encouragement

I took some pictures today, and wanted to share with you all an example of how SPS are growing in the RSM250.

First pictures were posted in this thread on 6/17/2014 when they were taken (http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...els-tank-upgrade-rsm-250-a-2.html#post1257225). The second pictures with arrows are from today. I pasted all in PowerPoint and saved as a JPG file.

First, upper coral, I believe is a Pocillopora (Please, help in ID). I was told they are hardy and easy to growth. The second one is an Acropora. Please see arrows in both pointing the growing. In the Acro is a little more difficult to see the new tips growing, but you can see them.

I do not know if this is fast or not. The main point is that they are growing and that makes me happy. As I said before, this is my first experience with a tank full of SPS.

Now these 2 pictures goes in full size.

Taken 6/17/214

Taken today 7/13/2014. Acropora... See in one of the left branches the new tips that I believe will develop in new branches

Cheers
Daniel

Danreef

UPDATE........

I took out the refugium to see if there was Chaeto growth and YES, it is growing very well.

The refugium was setup on 6/1/14....here is the link : http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...niels-tank-upgrade-rsm-250-a.html#post1254659

Picture taken on 6/1. The Cheato is filling space but is lose. I took them from the old refugium. But in the following pictures it is compacted.

Pictures taken today 7/27. Significantly compacted Cheato compared when I placed the first bunch

The brown tubes that you see are feather duster worms

Those feather dusters are like these ones that I have in the tank

You can see the brown tubes on this picture

Now some pictures of the tank: All is going OK there too. SPS growing well.

Tank parameters:

Alk: 7-8 dKh
Ca: 420-430
pH: Night 8.0-8.1 Day 8.3-8.4
salinity : 1025

Dosing Ca and Alk from Kent Marine

Water: Natural Sea Water from Petco

Water Changes : 7 Gallons / week (this tank had a final volume of 50 G after sand and rocks)

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:

Joeys Tank

Great job!

So many amazing photos in people's threads makes me start to daydream about a camera purchase.

Danreef

Great job!

So many amazing photos in people's threads makes me start to daydream about a camera purchase.

Thank you Joeys !!!

Yesterady, Saturday, a LFS did a free cookout to promote the new local. This LFS is an excellent one full of corals and each time you go, it is very difficult to return home with your hands free. Anyone knows if there exist "Corals Anonymous" ? It will be nice to assist to some group meetings to stop buying corals. Bottom line, after 2 burgers, 1 hot dog, a nice glass of soda and 15% discount :eek:lsmile: I came with 3 new corals for the RSM250 :dunno:

Here they are:

Plate purple Montipora

Name????

Name for these 2 colorful corals ???

Cheers to all
Daniel

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
In the last pic, I think the one on the right is a Christmas Tree favia.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Very Pretty!! Coral addictions-R-Us
You'll exercise more control only when you run out of room ;)

Danreef

This is just such an impressive tank.

Thank you Pat !!!!

I was drinking a coffee this morning watching the sunrise in the tank. I opened this thread and looked the pictures posted on 6/17 page 2. I have to say that I couldn't believe the growth of some corals. During the week, with time I will take again the same pictures from the same position so we all can see the growing I am talking about.

See you guys !!!
Daniel

Danreef

I anticipate a TOTM nomination in the near-future! :ponder2:

Filling in nicely

Thank you Oxylebius !!! But that is far away on the road. This tank needs more months on maturation and SPS growing. I keep my fingers crossing every day I do not do any mistake and keep it as it is going. So far, I am astonish on the coral growth. Remember, this is my first tank in my life with all these SPS.

I found in my 3 year old camera a setting that is "Underwater". Here goes some pictures with that setting. And finally I was able to see in my pictures the explosion of color and life I see every day

ENJOY !!!!......the underwater world !!!!

Last edited: