Daniel's tank upgrade to RSM 250

Oxylebius

Yeah, I haven't seen much aggression with mine either (looks the same as your pink Pocillopora). I have several Pocillopora, Seriatopora, and Stylophora species and they do have 1 inch sweeper tentacles and are considered semi-aggressive, though they don't seem to use them much, at least not what I've noticed. The chalices that I have are much more aggressive with sweepers out every night. I make sure they have plenty of space.

Danreef

8/30/2014

New guys in the tank

MALE ANTHIA

NICE FRIENDS

PINK / WHITE ACROPORA

PINK / REDDISH CORAL

I HAD ONE EYE OF THIS CORAL (POSTED SOME WEEKS AGO), BUT I COULDN'T AVOID TO BUY MORE EYES !!!!! I LOVE THOSE COLORS

NOW SOME TANK PICTURES

ACAN GARDEN

Last edited:

Danreef

Your tank is so stunning! It makes me realize how far I have to go. :)

Thank you Pat. Your tank looks great also !!!

As of today my tank is moving forward. I had an issue this week with Ca. It was low. Took me 3 days to correct it. Yesterday was on track again : Ca 390 and alk 8 dKh. I found Ca was at 300. I will have to start measuring more frequently, like weekly until I gain confidence again of tank consumption.

The 2 blue Acros had nice polyps extension during the day. Now no. That flag an alert. I hope with the Ca correction those 2 Acros return to normal polyp extension. Will see.

Today is Water Change day. I have to prune some Pulsating Xenia to keep them under control. I will take pictures before and after. After the pruning I will do a 20% WC. Normally I do 10% per week.

Cheers
Daniel

Danreef

Nice additions. Tank looks great as always.
Wow, your ca was low.

Yes....WOW.

I will explain better writing in the computer.

I had for the last year the Red Sea (RS) kits for Ca and alk. My value was always 380. I went to the LFS with my son and got the new tank additions. They had the RS kits too and because I couldn't remember the exp. day of my old kits I decided to buy new ones. The exp. Day in the new kits is in the bottle. In my old ones was in the box and the box went to the trash one year ago.

The new Kit measured 300 and I said WOW, what is this. Pick up the old one and 380. I though the new kit is faulty. Went to LFS and got Salifert and API kits. All measured 300 (well the API 320). Then I used my brain and I remember that I have a control water to validate the results. I am so used to use the Natural Sea Watre that I did not though about it. The NSW returned a value for Ca of 380 with the new RS kit and the others.

I went to the online calculator. Placed all my data, what I am using for Ca and Alk dosing and the calculator told me the amount of Kent Marine I have to add. I added it during 2 days and increased the Ca levels to 400. Let it for 24 hours to see if the dosing amount I am using will keep it. Next day it was at 390 (yesterday). I will check later today to see if my dosing volume is enough to keep it at 390, now for 48 hours or I have to increase it.

Joeys Tank

A bit of a journey with the test kits, but thank you for sharing. It is a valuable lesson I have yet had to learn and I will be a better reefer from reading about your experiences.

Pat24601

What'd the coral red with green eyes? That's extremely cool and I'm looking for corals for my sandbed.

Also, is there a acropora you would recommend fir newbies or should I wait?

Danreef

What'd the coral red with green eyes? That's extremely cool and I'm looking for corals for my sandbed.

Also, is there a acropora you would recommend fir newbies or should I wait?

I sent s TXT message to the LFS, from where I got it, asking the name. Will tell you later.

Acro for newbies ???? . I will tell you that if you are able to keep your water parameters OK and a Ca/Alk within the values you have read. GO FOR IT.

I did that. This is my first time with Acros and an all SPS tank. Go, and buy a small frag, one that looks healthy, with good polyps and place it in your tank. I was never crazy with the placein the tank. I glue them where I can or I like. I never did light acclimation. YES....I lost some frags and you will too. At this stage do not buy any expensive one. $ 5-25 frag price will be OK.

Good water parameters (you have those), good water flow, not to much food to the fish (fish have to finish the food in 1-2 minutes, if not is too much), good light (You have that).........and that is all.

Try it !!!!!!

Daniel
PS: Unless you get the frag from a friend's tank, that you know is pest free, dip all the frags and any other coral

Danreef

A bit of a journey with the test kits, but thank you for sharing. It is a valuable lesson I have yet had to learn and I will be a better reefer from reading about your experiences.

Did today's measurements:

Ca 380-390

ALK 7.6

Used Salifert Kits. Same values as yesterday. Will increase in some ml the dosing of Ca and Alk to be more in the safe side. But this is very good.

Daniel

Danreef

9/1/2014

Due to my Ca issue I measured today my tank parameters and also a fresh sample of the PETCO Natural Sea Water (NSW) I have been using for almost a year now.

Here are the results

My tank water was taken at 2:30 PM . I finish dosing at 11 AM (dosing starts at 11 PM to 11 AM).

Petco NSW was heated and aerated with a pump for 2 hs.

SALIFERTS KITS:

NSW (Petco)

Alk 10.2 dKh
Ca 400 ppm

TANK

Alk 8.2 dKh
Ca 380 ppm

RED SEA KITS

NSW (PETCO)

Alk 9.5 dKh
Ca 390 ppm

TANK

Alk 8 dKh
Ca 370-380 ppm

MAGNESIUM...... I only have Red Sea Kit

NSW (PETCO) 1360 ppm
TANK 1360 ppm

My tank has 100% NSW from Petco (Catalina's water). I do 10% WC/week and dose for Ca and Alk because it is almost 100% SPS.

Daniel

Pat24601

These parameters help. They are actually in better balance than I thought for my normal params.

Danreef

9/3/2014

Parameters looks stable with my dosing regimen.

Sample taken at 9 PM. Dosing pumps start at 11 PM (Ca 2.30' & Alk 2.10') (pumps rate ~1.48 ml/minute) and ends at 11 AM

Ca 380 ppm
Alk 7.6 dKh

Salifert kits.

I will measure again in 48 hours

Danreef

9/6/2014

Parameters still stable.....Great !!!

Water sample taken at 8 PM.

Ca 380 ppm
Alk 7.3 dKh
Salinity 1025

Danreef

THANK YOU !!!

Parameters still stables BUT, that issue did not came without collateral problems that I am still fighting.

Let start with the BAD NEWS: I had some STN in acros.......let see pictures

Look the blue acro with shape of a tree. It has white under the branches (in the main body). That is superglue y added to cover all the tissue with STN. Polyps are retracted during the day (before they were out) and a little out during night. I believe it will survive.

I have been growing this very small blue acro frag for a year. All the new tissue has died (white in picture). The old Remanent of the frag has still some blue tissue. I will leave it in the tank. I hope that tissue will recover.

This acro had incredible polyp extension all day. Now polyps have been retracted. You can see the polyps out yet, but nothing like before

BEFORE

Last one....I had to cut all the branches of this acro. Cut on each branch the section with STN, I cleaned very well the "base of the coral attached to the rock". Filled it all with superglue and glue the branches again like if I was gluing them to a plug. I did it last week. I have the impression is going OK. It has very good polyp extension during day and excellent during night (as when it was perfect)....I believe it will be recovered.

Danreef

Now the GOOD NEWS: The tank overall is doing OK. Here are some pictures as always

First: Change wavemaker to the new Jeabo pump

NOW TANK PICTURES

NEW ADDITION....yellow/soft green plate coral

Danreef

This acro also was afected with some STN, see main body against the sand. But the tissue necrosis stopped last week. Is doing very well with excellent polyp extension during night, as always.

Strawberry short cake acro....... fortunately this one was not affected by the Ca / Alk issue

This is all my friends

Cheers
Daniel