Cuttlefish Eggs!!

theDeedo

yeah They live up to 2 years max I think.

What is the max and min temperature swing on Bandensis? Im setting up a 55gal fuge to feed into my sump which feeds into my 110gal DT. All this talk about cuttles has me thinking, and pondering questions if I could do some in my fuge. My temp though stays about 82 degrees atm. Im sure once the 55gal is hooked up that will lower because of the water mass.

Also what are you planning on feeding these guys once they hatch?

I have studied cuttles for about a year and a half now, so I am very excited for you, I wish you the best of luck with these guys. Maybe if they breed I will take some eggs :contract:

JandR

yeah They live up to 2 years max I think.

What is the max and min temperature swing on Bandensis? Im setting up a 55gal fuge to feed into my sump which feeds into my 110gal DT. All this talk about cuttles has me thinking, and pondering questions if I could do some in my fuge. My temp though stays about 82 degrees atm. Im sure once the 55gal is hooked up that will lower because of the water mass.

Also what are you planning on feeding these guys once they hatch?

I have studied cuttles for about a year and a half now, so I am very excited for you, I wish you the best of luck with these guys. Maybe if they breed I will take some eggs :contract:

The breeder I was talking about earlier kept her tank at 78 but then once they got older she kept it at 73-75. I will probably keep my guys tank at 76 once they move out of the breeder net. I am not sure what the max or min you can keep them in, I dont think many people want to experiment with them since they seem to be so delicate anyways lol.
I know they like highth in a tank so I am thinking of doing a hex type tank and also like to hide in macro algea so if you can lower your temp in ur fuge they would probably be fine in there with some macro. I have read an article where a guy did experiment with lighting (high to moderate to low) and showed no difference in live span or activity.
I plan on feeding them enriched baby brine shrimp when they are 2 days old after a few days I will start feeding live misid shrimp. After about 30-40 days I will start attempting to do frozen misid.

The guy that ordered these for me has a daughter about 5 or so that didnt want him to sell them once they came in lol so I am going to test it out an then he said he may end up getting some his self.
I think they are awesome little guys so I hope that more people will be wanting to learn how to keep them. I know that they are one of the few ocean wildlife that we can actually breed in captivity instead of catching wild. So hopefully one day all cuttlefish will be captive bred.

JandR

Oh if I do get lucky enough for them to breed I will keep ya in mind. I just hope if they do it doesnt shorten their life span.
But honestly I am a nervous wreck just waiting on these eggs to hatch LMAO!! :smack:

JandR

Update!! Last night after light outs I shined a flashlight in to take some quick shots. If you look really close you can see the baby cuttles in the eggs. They dont take up much room in the eggs they have plenty of room to swim around. I would have gotten some better ones but baby #1 (the completely round egg) kept rolling his egg away from the light and jumping so I though I may have been bothering him lol

100_1608.jpg

100_1606.jpg

100_1605.jpg

100_1600.jpg

100_1610.jpg

theDeedo

yeah it is definitely intriguing. I have heard of people keeping a few at a time. They said they do this because they will breed and lay eggs, and since the life span is so short they have new ones hatching as the older ones die, having a constant rotation of them. I will have to find the thread somewhere. I hear they are very very smart and will actually "beg" for food when you come into the room....but hey, my tang does that.

JandR

yeah it is definitely intriguing. I have heard of people keeping a few at a time. They said they do this because they will breed and lay eggs, and since the life span is so short they have new ones hatching as the older ones die, having a constant rotation of them. I will have to find the thread somewhere. I hear they are very very smart and will actually "beg" for food when you come into the room....but hey, my tang does that.

Yeah if these guys do good I will get some more eggs also just to make sure I have some. Well even if these guys dont make it I wll try again. I planned on getting more then 2 but I was scared to try more for my first time. I do hope these breed so I can have some more always, as long as they dont shorten their lifespan. I have heard about them begging for food too. I know alot of people say they are ALOT more personable then octopus, but my boyfriend still wants an octo lol. The one in the egg with the "gooey" stuff on it (baby#2 as of right now) seems to be younger as I still have not seen as much movement and dont see any legs. But baby #1 moves and shakes all the time =}

JandR

No hatching yet.... Last night when I peeked in on them with the flashlight again they were hopping from one side of the egg to the other and I got a really good look at the eyes on one of them. They are sooo tiny and are supposed to be 1/4 inch when they hatch, which they look like they are right now but I dont know if they are still needing to develop stuff or what. I am always sitting on the edge of my seat now LOL:dead:

Uslanja

We're sitting on the edge of our seat with you. Of course you'll need to post photos of the the little guys right away!

JandR

These pics I took last night again. I can tell they are getting bigger, or at least I think so lol. If you look at the 2nd egg you can actually see his body and his eyes.
100_1675.jpg

100_1673.jpg

100_1674.jpg