Cuttlefish Eggs!!

PIMPALA

:sigh:

im tapping my foot over here. Good thing I have a new mantis to keep me entertained while these things take their sweet time hatching. lol

zigginit

i can get the eggs for $8 or the cuttle fish for $12 here in souther cali. i wanted one but they will eat my hermits in my reef tank.

JandR

No not yet... I am going crazy though!! :verymad: I keep freaking out thinking they are dead cause they have not hatched lol. I bought a better breeder net for them that has an open top but mesh sides rather then the completely closed acrylic one I had. Since it is mesh I have a harder time seeing the babies in the egg with theflash light so last night I was about to cry cause I couldnt find them in their eggs lol. But I finally did and like always they got mad and were hopping away from the light. I hope am not disturbing them with it. They now have big eyes I can see alot clearer now and we think last night were could actually see their legs. I will take some pics tonight and post in the morning.
Thank guys for all the responses. I will let you know ASAP when they hatch!!!!

JandR

i can get the eggs for $8 or the cuttle fish for $12 here in souther cali. i wanted one but they will eat my hermits in my reef tank.

Thats a good deal!! Better then what I got, I would get the eggs for sure though because you canhave them longer as they are short lived.

I am keeping them in a seperate tank away from my reef as they like to hide in stuff and the corals like frogspawn and hammer coral could be bad for them so I will more then likely make a big macro algea tank. And use small bristle worms and such for cleaners, not sure yet about that or not. I would hate for them to get too big and hurt my cuttles

JandR

You know I couldnt find anything out about the eggs but I know the cuttles are. Even though alot of places say they are hardier then most cephalopods. I get mixed answers. Ii am just going to act as if they are lol

theDeedo

And use small bristle worms and such for cleaners, not sure yet about that or not. I would hate for them to get too big and hurt my cuttles

There are not to many creatures in the sea that can tangle with a cuttle and live to heal from it. I think they will be fine with the bristle worms...but the rest of your cleanup crew may get ate.

JandR

There are not to many creatures in the sea that can tangle with a cuttle and live to heal from it. I think they will be fine with the bristle worms...but the rest of your cleanup crew may get ate.

Yeah thats what I think too! LOL I am still going to wait till they get 3 months or so. I will most likely put some snails or hermits in there I have seen where alot of people have kept them together and they dont even pay any attention to them, but if for some reason mine are different well its not that big of a deal I just wont put any more in there lol.

JandR

OMG!!! I am scared to death right now... I got home from my fish guy's house tonight and one of my eggs was deflated a little... I looked around and dont see him in the net but we may have come home right when he was coming out. I am praying that he isnt dead since he was fine this morning when I checked on him. I will keep you updated and cross your fingers for me. My boyfriend says he thinks he saw him move in there but since it has deflated its alot darker and harder to see and I dont want to shine the light on them.
In these pics you can see where egg # 2 is smaller. Sorry not the best pics but my hands are shaking right now lol.

102_1676.jpg

102_1681-1.jpg

102_1681.jpg

JandR

You can see in these pics how much smaller the egg is then the other one I took these pics about 25-30 min after the others I posted...

102_1685-Copy.jpg

102_1686-Copy.jpg

102_1686.jpg

Oh I have my lights turned downto only 2 bulbs right now for them so its kinda dark

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hopefully the little one has just cracked open the shell and let some fluid out, and will be out soon. Fingers crossed!

JandR

Well no change as of yet.... I am pretty disapointed... I was talking to some people on Tonmo.com and someone said that the must no longer be viable, but I couldnt find any definate research on th topic of eggs dying like that... I have noticed that alot of people tend to buy the eggs in bulk like 20-30 and some people have a really good hatch rate and others dont. So I am gonna see how the other egg does and will probably order more next time. I just dont understand how the cuttle was fine in the egg earlier yesterday and I saw him moving and then it jus deflates.... I tried to shrine in a flashlight at him at 3am and I thought I could see him but it was so dark since the egg isnt stretched out anymore, I couldnt tell if he was moving or not. I told myself not to get attached and this was going to be a learning/trial but its hard not to get attached and excited :dunno:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That's not the news I was wanting to hear. :( I would think that if the egg wasn't viable that it would never have developed a young one inside. Still hoping.

JandR

Thats what I thought too... I figured "not viable" was when it didnt get fertalized or just didnt develop an embryo. I just looked in the egg and think I can see him but couldnt tell if he was still alive or not. I am not going to count him out yet but itdoesnt look too good right now... I dunno if he couldnt get outor what... I saw one thread (that I thought was crazy at the time when I read it) about a woman who "induced" hatching on her eggs if they werent hatching at the time they should... She cut a slit on the egg and the came on out... I would never be daring enough to do something like that but it does make me wonder if it is something common... Guess if anything I will try again and this time wont get so attached.

PIMPALA

That's not the news I was wanting to hear. :( I would think that if the egg wasn't viable that it would never have developed a young one inside. Still hoping.

Happens in every species.

Sad deal maybe, but thats life. I hope the other one makes it! I'm still excited!

:fishy: