Cuttlefish Eggs!!

JandR

Its confirmed!! After waiting and hoping I will be getting my baby cuttlefish eggs in tomorrow!! I am very excited to see them!! I am getting 2 to start with. Just to make sure I have one that makes it for sure and also so when they grow I dont have to seperate too many in a tank!! I will post pics when I get them home, wish me luck!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :whstlr: :whstlr: :thumbup: :thumbup:

theDeedo

Oh wow!! I love cuttlefish. It is my long term goal to one day have and breed these amazing cephlapods. They are my favorite animal, and one of the reasons I got into saltwater to begin with.

I am very envious :bow:

Keep us posted with plenty of pics and details. I for one will be following this thread. could you please PM me the place where you found these guys (the cuttle eggs)?

Uslanja

Hi JandR! Very nice! We just watched a documentary on cuttlefish. They are one very cool animal and display some very neat chameleon characteristics. We'll be following along. Good Luck!

PIMPALA

Awesome! I'll be watching this one for sure. What size tank? What are the plans for their new home?

JandR

Thanks guys!! I am very excited and nervous too! They are coming from LA. so I hope the eggs do fine in the transit... As of right now I am keeping them in a small breeder net with some macro algea till they get bigger since they will be only the size of a pinky nail when they hatch. Then after that I have a 37 gal that I may end up putting them in. I have read that the smaller species (Sephia Bandensis) can live in as small as a 20 gal but I will keep them in the 37 till they get full grown then maybe move them out to a bigger tank if they need it.

I have a coral guy that lives close to me that sells his stuff almost at whole sale prices, he is really nice and fair and he found them for me after he knew I wanted them, so I will have to ask where he got them. I know Ocean Pro Aquatics sells them occationally but I belive those are wild caught as mine are captive bred.

Thanks for following along, 6 hours and I will have them LOL I will make sure I post lots of pics!!!

JandR

Oh wow!! I love cuttlefish. It is my long term goal to one day have and breed these amazing cephlapods. They are my favorite animal, and one of the reasons I got into saltwater to begin with.

I am very envious :bow:

Keep us posted with plenty of pics and details. I for one will be following this thread. could you please PM me the place where you found these guys (the cuttle eggs)?

Another great place to get info is Tonmo.com, every few weeks they have several breeders that will post when they have eggs for sale. I was planning on getting some from there eventually, but then my fish guy got these so check them out and see whatcha think. its a forum dedicated to all cephalopods.

JandR

Sorry I have not posted pics yet, had a busy night (today is my day to do tank maint.) I am uploading pics on photobucket right now. Theyare hard to see in the egg but I tried to get some pics of them. They are sooooo tiny! But they seemed to do well in the shipping, they were both moving around afer I aclimated them.
The eggs are about the size of a grape. The babies dont even take up half the egg they stay at the bottom. The eggs when just layed are supposed to be pointy and these are already round so I am hoping it wont be too long till they hatch.
Pics in about 5 min =}

JandR

100_1501.jpg

100_1504.jpg

100_1505.jpg

100_1508.jpg

I tried to shine a flash light in them so you could see them but my camera isnt the best.

Even though they are just eggs right now, the eggs move around rolling all over the hatchery (not fast) so I dunno if its the power head or they are moving alot in side. My boyfriend says he sees the eyes and swears he saw one of them "kick" LOL

Uslanja

Very cool! Please, please, please give us lots of photos!!! What an awesome learning experience!

theDeedo

Another great place to get info is Tonmo.com, every few weeks they have several breeders that will post when they have eggs for sale. I was planning on getting some from there eventually, but then my fish guy got these so check them out and see whatcha think. its a forum dedicated to all cephalopods.

Yeah Tonmo is great. I have been a member on there for awhile. I dont post much though. Mainly because I dont own any cephs at the moment...unlike yourself!

They look great! I bet you cant sleep your so excited. I know I would be.

Hey quick question..what temp is the tank at they are in?

JandR

I was so excited last night, I stayed up forever to make sure they didnt prematurely hatch because of the traveling (which I heard can happen often in this species) I would head to the bed room and then come back with the flash light to get 1 more look lol. I was even dreaming about cuttles last night.

My temp right now is 78 F. When they get moved to thier tank I may lower it by 1 or 2 degrees. Mine being Sepia Bandensis can have higher temps rather then the Sepia officinalis (which gets HUGE) needs more cold water systems like 59-77 degrees F.

This is going to be a great learning experience, so I am nervous and excited at the same time. :bouncer: :bouncer:
They look the same today as they did last night of corse so when there is change I will post more pics.
Thanks guys for all the support!!

GrendelPrime

to bad u cant hook up a video camera to catch the birth, im excited for u and cant wait till the lil suckers pop out, whats the ave life span on the cuttles?

JandR

Yeah the camera thing would be awesome. I have read that they live 6 months to 1 year but some can live longer, but its rare. I know it has to do with reaching sexual maturity.
I was reading a tread last night about some one who had 1 female and 2 males and they started laying at4 1/2 months and layed every 2 days to a week. in 4 months she has 225 eggs. Then the thread just stopped. She was [posting everyday till then so I am thinking she may have passed away that would have put her at almost 9 months. I am hoping to at least get 6 months out of these guys.