Courtney's Red Sea Reefer 350

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I feed mostly frozen... PE Mysis shrimp and San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Saltwater Multi-Pack (I think they have this brand in the UK) and Rods Original and Nori - an occasional treat of Ocean Nutrition Formula One Pellet Food

Aquarium Fish Food: San Francisco Bay Brand Frozen Saltwater Multi-Pack

Four frozen foods offer delicious choices for your saltwater fish
* Individual cube packaging for convenient waste-free feeding
* Variety pack for herbivores, omnivores, and carnivores

A feast for your saltwater fish! This multi-pack contains twelve cubes each of four delicious frozen food choices for a nutritious and varied diet for all your marine tropical fish. Includes a diet for herbivores, omnivores, and carnivores in a convenient cube package. Simplifies feeding by separating each food individually into easy-to-give portions. Foil cover preserves freshness and prevents freezer burn. Each 1/2" cube is 4.2 grams.

Marine Cuisine is a blend of natural seafood ingredients, spirulina algae, color enhancers, and vitamins. A complete diet for your marine carnivores - provides the same nutritional balance found on a coral reef. Its familiar scent entices fish to feed aggressively.

Emerald Entrée is a complete nutritional package especially for fish that rely on microalgae and vegetable matter as a main nutrition source. Fortified with Omega-3 fatty acids such as EPA and DHA, proven to be important for optimal growth and disease prevention in marine fish. Also contains mysis shrimp, a natural attractant, to stimulate appetite and entice finicky eaters.

100% Squid is an excellent source of protein and a great supplementary food for carnivores such as triggerfish and groupers. Ornamental shrimp and other invertebrates such as crabs and starfish will also enjoy this nutritious treat.

Omega-3 enriched Brine Shrimp, with enhanced HUFA levels, promote fish maturation and breeding while increasing disease resistance. Excellent diet for saltwater fish where these special omegas are a must for the longevity of your fish.

Courtney

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for all the questions today as i got a bit worried when that guy told there might be something wrong with my tang so im just trying to find out as much information on good foods to help him get better.
By the way just seen some of the pics of you tank it looks amazing how many weeks was it before you started adding corals to your tank?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the nice compliment !

I added my 1st coral a week after my tank cycled, you can add corals faster than fish, corals are pretty bioneutral, where fish = bioload

Courtney

Would it be wise for me to add corals yet to my tank if my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are not yet at 0. Also what corals are the easy to keep?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would wait until the ammonia and nitrites are at or near zero - the nitrates may always be up a little, you can handle then with weekly water changes 15% - running some Seagel or CPE will help too

Lots & Lots of corals you can have great success with... zoas, mushrooms, rics, frogspawn, torch, hammer corals are a few

Look here for some ideas too Level 1 and 2 https://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/caresheets

Sensitivity/Difficulty:
Level 1 - easy to care for, good corals for the novice aquarist
Level 2 - require slightly more attention than level 1 corals, but
still generally tolerant

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
One more tip... Love snails for CUC - lots of snails... will really help too - something like this...

20 - Ceriths, 20 - Nassarius, 12 Margarita Turbos, 12 Astrea & Banded Trochus, 4 Mexican Turbos

Courtney

Thanks for all the information and links i will post some more pics and info on my tangs progress. Im a bit weary of adding snails as i have added them before and they live for a couple of days then they just die do the levels have to be really low for the snails to survive as i don't want to buy a load then they just die on me again?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You do want ammonia and nitrites are at or near zero before adding any - I am guessing you had a mini-cycle when you moved over the tank.

Cheers & All the best !

Courtney

well i tried to feed my tang some nori this morning but he didn't go for it. He used to eat loads of the stuff but he has stopped now i suppose that is my fault for not giving it to him for a long time but i will introduce it to him again.
I have also just done a water test the nitrate is still at 50ppm the ammonia is at 0ppm and the nitrite is at 0.5ppm should i just keep doing water changes or what?
Also i added in the filter floss as there was allot of particles and micro bubbles in the water should i take it out or leave it in im not shore what to do?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hopefully he will start eating the Nori ! I would just keep up weekly water changes - are you running any chemical filtration yet, in place of the stock carbon? This too will help...

Just rinse at the sink the filter floss every day or so... maybe more at the start

Courtney

Im looking to get the chemi pure elite but the place i rang hadn't got any in stock till next week so how many bags did you say use for the RSM 250?
Once i replace the carbon bags with the CPE do i just throw the carbon bags away.
I have rinsed the filter floss once already today since i put it in but i will rinse again tomorrow.

reeferman

hello and welcome!leave the nori in there,the tang will eventually have to check it out.its in their nature to constantly peck at algae.good luck with hlle,soak the food in garlic and vitachem before feeding.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Courtney

Thanks again for all the information i have read that vitachem reverses and cures lateral line decease so i will give that a go also how do i soak nori in garlic exactly?
and i have only had the carbon in the tank for about a week or so do you think i should let it dry out and keep it when i CPE or just throw it away?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
no exact right way...

but I think I would get 2 CPE's add one now with the stock carbon, then add the 2nd & replace the RSM carbon in 2 or 3 weeks

how do i soak nori in garlic exactly?
some member should be able to advise... I may get some vitachem & start using it too ...

Courtney

Do you guys know any difference between selcon vitamins and vitachem marine vitamins?
As im not sure what one to get as they both would seem to do the same thing bar a few differences i think or maybe i should get both and give feed the fish different vitamins on different days.
Also i think i will go with what you found glenn the kent marine garlic stuff as it requires no messing around or hassle lol.

Dweezil

I use Both Selcon and Vitachem...I switch them up at times. No particular reason
Do not buy Kent Garlic Extreme....don't waste your money. If you want to add garlic buy some of the minced garlic that you can get at the grocery store and just add a couple drops of the garlic oil to the food. At least this way you can use it for yourself as well. :) I have a little pill bottle that I put some food in, add a some water from the tank then a few drops of vitamines..sometimes a couple drops of the garlic oil. Let is soak for about 5 minutes then feed.