Chronicle to Christopher's 1st Reef Adventure!

rebekwl

Re: Yes! Everybody who likes new pics of a new tank

Hi there :wave: Looks like you're on the right track for the most part. I must say though, if you do not want to keep the Damsels long term it would be your best bet to take them out now, before you add alot more rock. They are VERY HARD TO CATCH, and if you don't take them out they will most likely kill any other fish you introduce to your tank. I had a hell of a time removing ONE from my tank because he was harassing everything. It's also very stressful for the fish to have to endure the cycle. Just a thought!! Good luck with everything!!

GeeWizzItsMe

Yay! I added 15 pounds of live rock, and I am waiting for the water to settle down so I can take some pictures! As for the titles of my pics, I love renaisaance art, so maybe it rubbed off on me lol! Thank you all for your compliments and help!

GeeWizzItsMe

Before!

fulltank2_edited-2.jpg

After!!!!

newliverock.jpg

Yes, I do need help on aquascaping, but my fish were in there and the rocks was big for my tank... Any suggestions tho...??

cioutlaw

i see you have volcanic rock in there...I would get rid of that...fish can get cut up pretty good on that rock.....

Agree & I thought I read where volcanic rock also had minerals that were bad for reefs too. iron or sulfer maybe?

edit: just read the rest of the thread & see you removed the rock.

GeeWizzItsMe

newscape.jpg

yay! I got a better picture! I kinda changed up the scaping a little... It looks much better with the rock. If I want to keep the damsels, how many should I keep? Is it okay to keep 2? Will they kill other fish? What should I use to clean the outside of the tank?

Raf

Looks good and would look even better with a black or blue background on the tank! :wave:

goldenmean

Hey your tank looks so much better with the new LR.
Great job on the aquascaping If you are like the rest of us obsessive reefers I bet you change it around some more as you are waiting for your tank to cycle!

Last edited:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM

Nice job on the scaping!:thumbup: Now sit back and watch the action!

GeeWizzItsMe

OK! I got my water tested yesterday, and the estimation is that my water will be cycled within a week!!! My pH is a little low, but I think that is it! YAY!

tippMANn98

Has been struck by the ban stick

I would get yourself a test kit, and start testing yourself, It will teach you how to test, and you will learn sooo much more about what makes up sea water and why you need good parameters. trust me, I worked retail for 7 years now, and thats the first thing I stressed when people kept coming in on a weekly basis for water tests. Tank looks good, glad you got rid of that lava rock.......that live rock looks good, is it fiji?

GeeWizzItsMe

I am not sure if it is Fiji... But, yes, for sure the next time I test my water, it will be me doing it! My dad just has to take me to buy a kit!

Frankie

RS STAFF

I would get yourself a test kit, and start testing yourself, It will teach you how to test, and you will learn sooo much more about what makes up sea water and why you need good parameters. trust me, I worked retail for 7 years now, and thats the first thing I stressed when people kept coming in on a weekly basis for water tests. Tank looks good, glad you got rid of that lava rock.......that live rock looks good, is it fiji?

Looks like fiji to me. Good advice on getting a test kit. I will bring in my water when i am not happy with my tests just to make sure i don't have a bad reading. But testing is done by me quite often and it is a good habit to get into. Even if some people say they can tell when something is up from looking at there tanks, I like to know before i can see it.

Snappy

Looks good and would look even better with a black or blue background on the tank! :wave:

I agree that a solid colour back ground will really help the look. Personally I prefer blue.

GeeWizzItsMe

Test results! Today I tested my water with my own kit for the first time! It turned out well!

pH-8.2
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0
Ammonia-0

YAY!