Chronicle to Christopher's 1st Reef Adventure!

Melanie

Re: Yes! Everybody who likes new pics of a new tank

Great job on your rock scaping. Looking good!

Anselth

Looks good! What are your plans for a clean up crew?

GeeWizzItsMe

good question Anselth... I know a cleaner shrimp and a few types of snails... what is recommended?

Anselth

Ceriths are good algae eaters, but I have a hard time finding them at the LFS. Turbos and Astrea are good, but you have to keep an eye on them as they can't right themselves if they fall. Margaritas and Nerites are also popular. I'd also suggest a few Nassarious snails to stir your sand bed and eat the detritus that will inevitably collect there. A lot of sites will suggest purchasing one snail per gallon, which is overkill, IMO. All you'll end up doing is needlessly starving your animals. Buy 5-8 and see if they can handle the tank. If not, add a few more. this way, you find what the tank's ability is to sustain them.

Anselth

Wait a couple days and test again. It's better to be safe than sorry. Did you see a nutrient spike in earlier tests?

GeeWizzItsMe

No, I did not see any spikes because I have only tested it this time and another time, and the other time was by the LFS... My tank has only been cycling for 2 weeks!

Anselth

5-8 algae eaters. 3-4 Nassarious should be enough for your sand bed. I'd test it again in a couple days, just to make sure. Cycles can last from a couple days (like mine) to a month or more depending on how well cured your live rock was before you added it to your tank. If you test on say Sunday, and you still have no nutrient response, I'd be inclined to believe your cycle is complete, although I'd feel better if you were seeing 5-10 ppm of nitrate. As the final stage of the nitrogen cycle that we test for, it means that Ammonia is in check when you start seeing Nitrate.

GeeWizzItsMe

Tests as of today:
pH-8.2
Nitrate-5
Nitrite-0
Ammonia-0
Specific Gravity-1.027
Temp-76 F

Good, except Specific Gravity...
The fish that was injured, I have discovered, was being pestered by the other tankmates. He always hides from them. Hopefully, he'll get better!

Anselth

SG is an easy fix. When you do your next water change, shoot for 1.025. That will bring it down slightly. Remember to make any changes to the tank gradually, or you'll shock the inhabitants. Your damsels should be pretty resistant to anything like that, but it's a good habit to get into. As far as the injured Damsel is concerned, if he's being harassed, there's no reason to believe that will change. He's not going to heal without being separated from the others.

GeeWizzItsMe

OK, is my cycle now over? Can I now trade in the damsels? Can I put the pair of clowns at the same time?

GeeWizzItsMe

The original thread wouldn't let me edit, so I'll put it here. My real stocking plan is.

2 false percs
1 royal gramma
1 coral beauty
1 cleaner shrimp
other cleaning crew

Anselth

I'd say yes, since you're seeing nitrates with no residual nitrites. It's time to do your first water change. Since you've been running with several damsels, you may be ok adding two fish at once when you remove them. I'll wait for a second opinion though before I tell you it's ok. Just remember to go slow, wait a few weeks to a month between adding fish. You'll generally get a mini cycle as the tank adjusts to the increased bioload, putting too many in at once can cause problems.

rebekwl

I'd say yes, since you're seeing nitrates with no residual nitrites. It's time to do your first water change. Since you've been running with several damsels, you may be ok adding two fish at once when you remove them. I'll wait for a second opinion though before I tell you it's ok. Just remember to go slow, wait a few weeks to a month between adding fish. You'll generally get a mini cycle as the tank adjusts to the increased bioload, putting too many in at once can cause problems.

I agree. I would think it would be ok to put 2 fish in once you take the Damsels out. Let us know how it goes catching those guys! Happy Hunting!

rebekwl

Well the easiest way would be to take out all of your rock and keeping it submerged in a separate container while you catch them. You could use a fish trap if you didn't want to do that. I made a trap out of a 20 oz. soda biottle that worked pretty well when I had to catch one. I'll see if i can find the thread and give you the link...

GeeWizzItsMe

No more damsels! My tank has now.
2 big snails (forgot their name...)
5 medium-sized snails
6 tiny hermit crabs
drumroll please...
and 1 ROYAL GRAMMA! it is really beautiful! It hasn't come out yet though.
The clownfish were not available, but a new shipment of clownfish and cleanershrimp on Tuesday, so I'll get those later.
3 healthy damsels were healthily (if that is a word) brought back, but 1 died silently in the quarantine...

With the new additions the aquascaping is much different and very cool! I can't wait to put up pictures once the gramma comes out. How long will that take?