Choff's RSM 650 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choff

I had 10 peppers in the tank at one point. When fish room 2.0 goes online I am moving the wrasse to the new refugium. I have no other plans for it at the moment. I am not going to grow chaeto. I initially planned on putting things I couldn't put in the DT like sexy shrimp, an urchin, crabs (porcelain, green and pom pom) possibly a nem, but I really don't want to spend money on strong lighting for it. So I am going to put the mystery in there and then buy shrimp for the DT and see what happens to verify it was him. If it was, then I will sadly have to trade in the mystery. He is my favorite fish, but it really bugs me not having any shrimp. I had 4 pom poms, a couple of porcelains. I'm all but certain they are all gone. I have not heard popping in quite some time so I think the pistol is gone too which means it almost certainly is the wrasse. :(

I'm sure I have more Aip, this thing was pretty big. Not anywhere near quarter size, but not a tiny little baby either. It was pretty tall too.

Thanks for stopping in guys.

armanslr

Man, Choff you are quick! Your progress makes me feel so slow haha! Anyways, Love all the updates and fish room 2.0 I like the staggered frag racks!

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Nice work choff. I would love to have a spare basement to do this, I'm currently looking into having a QT setup else where. Also I have been thinking a lot about a more Eco friendly means of cooling the tank. But you seem to be storming ahead with the new fish room v2.0. I'm going to have to get my arse in gear thanks for the kick up the butt mate :)

Alan

Choff

Heh, you guys have it all wrong. I'm slow. I have had that led kit sitting on the floor of my office for 3+ months. That was part of fish room 1.0 that was never finished along with cable routing. 2.0 starts next weekend... I hope. I planned on taking the FT offline, but now I filled it.

But thanks just the same :)

As far as Ecco friendly cooling, LED's + sump in the basement meant my chiller ran for a total of 8 hours this summer and has not come on in 6 weeks. Last summer it ran 6 hours /day and 2 hours /day the rest of the year. Those t5s are lousy with heat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Very jealous of the fish room. Anxious to watch it all come together. Thanks for keeping us posted in your thread.

Choff

OK, Sump is designed. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I am going to copy part of Tony Vargas' sump design and go with a drip plate.

It will actually be 6 pipes in on the left from the fuge, FT and DT. Water will flow from the pipes under the first baffle and up onto the drip plate. Should that clog, the water level would rise 2" and dump into the next chamber. There is 2" from the top of that baffle to the top of the tank. More than enough play. The drip plate will be made of acrylic and removable for easy cleaning. All the baffles will be glass. Middle chamber will house the skimmer and utility pump that will feed the chiller, UV and GAC/GFO reactors. Final section is just the return. Pretty simple design and I will no longer have any filter socks on the system. Just a single filter pad across the drip plate.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or see any issues.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Awesome layout! That looks like a really nice and simple sump setup, can't wait to see the final build :)

Choff

Thanks gents.

OK, back at it with sketchup. I added my sump, FT, Fuge baffles and I added piping. Well, kinda. I did lazy piping, but you will get the idea. It's a PITA in sketchup (at least for me).

-- DT Primary drain (1.5" ) is spliced into 3 lines. The bulk of the flow will be going through the FT with the remaining flow going to the Fuge. There is a line plumbed to the sump, but it will be closed and function only as a backup should I need to take the fuge and/or FT offline.

-- DT Backup drain (1" ) - sump only

-- FT to sump is going to be a bean animal overflow (3x 1" bulkheads with all 1.5" durso). Totally unnecessary, but I really want to build one.

-- Fuge to sump is 2 durso over flows (1.5" primary, 1" secondary). If it wasn't already drilled I would also go bean-animal, but the way the holes are drilled it would be a challenge to rig up a BA.

-- WC plumbing is 3/4"

-- Plumbing not shown in the drawing is the Mag 18 utility pump in the middle chamber. That will run the GAC/GFO reactors, UV , chiller and will also be used for WC exports with a line that runs to the back yard. All if 3/4" plumbing.

Other odds/ends:

I upgraded my return pump from a reeflo dart/snapper to a barracuda/hammerhead. Should pick up an enormous amount of flow. This redo is also removing the 90 deg elbow in the return line and will now be a straight shot up to the DT. I have a strong feeling I will be valving back quite a bit.

Lastly, I just picked up a Radion xr30 gen2 that was one sale for the FT and will use the Rapid LED kit I built over the Fuge.

I'm targeting the weekend of October 11th for the cutover. I'll take the sump offline on Friday and get the baffles silicone'd and then hope to get it back online Sunday night assuming that will be enough time for the silicone to cure.

Wolffman64

Thanks gents.

OK, back at it with sketchup. I added my sump, FT, Fuge baffles and I added piping. Well, kinda. I did lazy piping, but you will get the idea. It's a PITA in sketchup (at least for me).

-- DT Primary drain (1.5" ) is spliced into 3 lines. The bulk of the flow will be going through the FT with the remaining flow going to the Fuge. There is a line plumbed to the sump, but it will be closed and function only as a backup should I need to take the fuge and/or FT offline.

-- DT Backup drain (1" ) - sump only

-- FT to sump is going to be a bean animal overflow (3x 1" bulkheads with all 1.5" durso). Totally unnecessary, but I really want to build one.

-- Fuge to sump is 2 durso over flows (1.5" primary, 1" secondary). If it wasn't already drilled I would also go bean-animal, but the way the holes are drilled it would be a challenge to rig up a BA.

-- WC plumbing is 3/4"

-- Plumbing not shown in the drawing is the Mag 18 utility pump in the middle chamber. That will run the GAC/GFO reactors, UV , chiller and will also be used for WC exports with a line that runs to the back yard. All if 3/4" plumbing.

Other odds/ends:

I upgraded my return pump from a reeflo dart/snapper to a barracuda/hammerhead. Should pick up an enormous amount of flow. This redo is also removing the 90 deg elbow in the return line and will now be a straight shot up to the DT. I have a strong feeling I will be valving back quite a bit.

Lastly, I just picked up a Radion xr30 gen2 that was one sale for the FT and will use the Rapid LED kit I built over the Fuge.

I'm targeting the weekend of October 11th for the cutover. I'll take the sump offline on Friday and get the baffles silicone'd and then hope to get it back online Sunday night assuming that will be enough time for the silicone to cure.

All I can say is: WOW!!! My little future setup with RO/DI unit and water tanks is now completely embarrassing :dunce:

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
I'm totally impressed and very envious choff. Wishing I had the room and even access to that room from the tank. It's going to be epic.

Alan

Choff

I'm afraid the drawing is going to look better than the actual outcome. :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

jerry26

I'm afraid the drawing is going to look better than the actual outcome. :)

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk 4

i dont know about you but if i managed to build it 100% spot on it would only be about a week before i had such a mess you could never tell lol.

Choff

Thanks Greg and Jerry, oh so true. The room is a disaster as we speak with empty salt buckets, rags, misc tools and a small box of coral rubble that I dropped a few weeks ago that I continue to step on and curse (but don't clean up). I'm thinking in the back of my head that I'll surely keep my new room clean and organized! Sure...

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
LOL but it looks so clean in the sketch up! Maybe add some rubble on the floor in the sketch so we are not disappointed!

Status
Not open for further replies.