Choff's RSM 650 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeferman

I get lost in all this... but here a great :read: Mike wrote (mojo)
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ussion/72692-how-lighting-effects-corals.html

and here is a post about the newest leds he is building...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/oceans-design/92910-next-gen-led-lighting.html#post1273928

Do know Reggie (reeferman ) has always had a tank full of beautiful flourishing SPS too ;)

then we have GlennF's super sps tank running T5's

makes one think the husbandry skills play a HUGE part in SPS coral success

water quality is an even more important factor in stony coral growth and color than light is.it is the single most important factor.
thanks for the very kind words Mike and Glenn,means a lot

Choff

Reggie, did you know when I had my tank wipe out from the cfl bulb falling into my sump I lost 40 odd small sps colonies and frags. 3 survived. All 3 were from Bryan from your stock.

Rommels rainbow has held on for close to year not doing much of anything. Held its color, but never grew. Now, It's growing like a weed now.

reeferman

awesome Mike.mine are long aquacultured and that helps a lot when trouble arises.not saying theyre bulletproof by any means but they seem to be tougher.

Oxylebius

There are always strong opinions and debates on lighting, it has always been a hot topic for discussion and it has evolved over time and I anticipate it will continue to in this hobby. I know many do attest to getting both growth and color from LEDs (I expected such comments when I posted). Also agree that lighting alone is not the only parameter and issue in tanks for sps growth and color, all water quality parameters play a part. But, I still won't be switching anytime soon, I really like the options of light spectrum choices T5s provide and there is a lot of research that shows how various corals species react to the light spectrum of T5s (when all other parameters are kept constant). So, I can easily determine what spectrum of light I want in my tank based on this. I also know that I get the fastest growth during the fall and spring with natural light is hitting the tank from the window (not really sure what about this natural light allows for faster growth). If eventually I add LEDs I will keep the mix of T5s and LEDs. But, I haven't had any issues with my T5s and sps growth, so I don't anticipate changing something that isn't broken. My tank is 3 yrs old this month, the first corals that went into my tank went in when the tank was 5 months old, therefore the oldest corals I have in my tank have been in there for 2.7 yrs (all sps corals up until this past April when I added a few LPS and one softy).

Choff

Lol what in this hobby isn't debated with strong opinions? My rationale for changing was mostly noise related. With 10x t5s my chiller ran non stop and with my tank in the living room it was interfering with watching tv. :D

Of course, not only does my chiller not run, now my heaters run nonstop all fall, winter and spring which is much longer up here in New England . Now, I have been considering switching to DC return pump for quite some time and after more thought I'm going to plumb in a waveline dc12000 submersed in my sump, but I'm not going to remove my reeflo external. I'm going to run the dc pump most of the year, but will cut over to the external when heat becomes in issue in the height of summer. I'm hoping the heat from the pump will minimize the heaters coming on. It also gives me built in redundant return return pumps should one fail.

Finally, I've been on a spending spree. Just ordered 16 SPS with battle corals and cultivated reef. Also picked up a hot Lobo from the LFS that I'll take Picts of when it opens up. Added a harem of blue star leopard wrasses, but one do,I acted the rest and killed all the others off in brutal fashion. This was no simple harassment campaign, She literally rammed them to death. I'm going to catch her and sell her off. Picked up a tiny cute little Yasha goby too.

Status
Not open for further replies.