Choff's RSM 650 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry26

i really like those cannons too but man are they pricey. i would need at least three of them and ive been pricing bigger tanks. ive pushed that back though, decided to get my scuba certification instead and hit the reefs. hopefully one day it comes down a little and we can all get some.

Mdk16

Those look sweet Choff. How much per unit? Over the next few months I believe we are going to have many more options.

Choff

I was going to start building the new sump stand today, but a hangover got in the way. Instead, I spent the morning playing with google sketchup. I introduce to you, Fish Room 2.0 (minus the plumbing)

The DT will drain into both 40B's (controlled by gate valves) which will then each will independently drain into the sump so that either one could be pulled offline. I will also drop a primary DT drain line into the sump in case I ever needed to pull both FT & Fuge offline, but it will be closed in normal operation. The DT backup drain line will only drop straight into the sump.

The change is the sump is currently all the way in the corner and the FT stand is shifted out a bit. So I am shifting the sump over to the right approx 4' and then sliding the FT stand into the corner and making it long enough to handle 2 40B's.

I'm away the next 2 weekends, so this won't get off the ground until mid Sept.

Choff

Worked out my ATO.

Since my RODI line runs straight over my tank I'm gong to drop a line straight in from it. In series I will have 2 solenoid gate valves (default closed) that will be controlled by float switches via the APEX. They will both need to open before water will flow to a standard mechanical float valve. So all 3 will have to pass for water to flow into the sump. I will add in a 3rd float switch for a low water warning, but I'm not really worried about that scenario. I'm never away for more than a few days and the return section of my sump is plenty large. I am much more worried about my 150 gpd RODI dumping water into my system and rapidly dropping the salinity...not to mention all that water in my basement. :D

All in, should run me less than 80 bucks and I bet I can sell my Tunze Omsmolater ($110) for pretty close to that. It's only been used for about 3 months.

Choff

Thanks but, honestly it's really a minor upgrade on what I have now. Just shifting things around a little bit. Still pretty happy with my first attempt, but there is always room for improvement. If my sump baffle didn't break and I didn't need to take it offline to put in new ones this wouldn't even be happening.

My biggest gripe is the mess in the corner is where all the action takes place and it's the hardest place to reach. What you can't see in this photo is that I tucked my 2 charcoal/GFO reactors right next to the Apex monitor between the sump and FT. I also have 2 filter socks in that corner that are a challenge to change out. Overall, the re design should make it much more user friendly.

The drawing looks so much cooler than reality. :D

So i am basically removing the section of shelving you see in the 2nd picture and sliding the sump over to the right and then extending the FT/Refugium stand all the way into the corner where the sump was. I'll have just over 2 feet between the FT and the Sump. The FT will actually be 12" off the wall so in reality there is only about 6" of overlap. The 30G QT on the stand will go under the sump and a 40B refugium (not pictured) will replace it. The 20G ATO currently under the sump will go away. Those blue barrels are getting replaced with white see through barrels.

Choff

Thank Greg. I really can't wait to get started. The wires are driving me bonkers. Almost sad about going away the next 2 weekends....but not really. :D

armanslr

Looking great Choff, so jealous of your google sketch up skills!!!

If I knew I was setting my tank up at work in my office I would have done the same as you. Dedicated fish room with larger sump. The bigger the water volume the better!!!

Your setup would be very very simple to setup the renew auto water change system as well.

Looking forward to updates.

Choff

Shhhh I need not to be tempted any more than I already am! :)

Actually I'm hoping you get that bad boy up and running in the next 3 weeks (no pressure :D) to get your feedback. I forsee one of these in my near future.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nob35

You need to stop teasing all of us that do not have room to make a wet room. Lol. If i had the room or was build ing a house i would build it around a wet room and have it with a 1000g sump filtering a few large tanks but i guess its just a dream. Can't wait to see the new setup, since you are setting up a separate refugium what are your plans for the 120g sump? Will it be for just the skimmer, reactors and dosing or do you have other equipment in mind.

Choff

Heh, sorry nob. I know I am very fortunate. It was actually pure luck that the one unfinished room in the basement happened to be below where the DT went.

Yes now I am going with a simple 3 section sump. The fuge and FT will dump into a bare chamber in the sump that will have a detritus trap (no filter socks). I plan on using bean animal overflows to feed the sump. Totally unnecessary, but I really really want to try them. I'd like to mod the DT to use one. I think it could be done if we can drill the back panel. The middle chamber will house the utility pump and skimmer and then of course the last chamber is the return.

Choff

Ok, wife was digging the little cube tanks at MACNA so we decided to break down the kids fresh water tank and put a cube in the kitchen. It's going to be a nem tank and I will try to remove my pistol shrimp and put it I there. My last shrimp in my tank disappeared while I was gone. I really wanted a lot in my tank, but something keeps killing them. It either the mystery wrasse or the pistol. The mystery could end up in the new tank or my frag tank if he ends up being the culprit.

Choff

Great news this morning. Feeding the fish and what do I see dart out from the rocks to grab food? The wheelers goby I put in the tank over a month ago when I got the purple tang. I assumed he was dead. Never saw him after the 2nd day I put him in.

This almost balances out the loss of my last shrimp. Since I can't seem to keep shrimp I'm thinking about an eel.

Choff

Woke up this morning coming to my senses. No eel.

I did finish the DIY LED build for my 40B FT and got that running last night.

I quickly put it to use tonight. I finally got around to fragging a once beautiful red bushy acro that went into a fast decline when I slacked off on my tank a few months back. The base was pretty white and def had STN. Recently though the top and tips have really started to come back so hopefully these frag will do well.

Also last night, I spotted my first aiptaisa in the tank. Im not that shocked that one has made it's way into my tank, but I am shocked at how big it is and that I never spotted until now. The thing is giant. It was on the base of a large birds nest colony I have that has given me trouble before. I pulled my first bubble algae off this same base and I have had a few tufts of some other algae grow on this rock. It was time for the rock to go. I fragged the birds nest into 2 pieces.

Headed to Buffalo for a couple of days and then when I get back...fish room 2.0 begins!!

modulok

I know you don't have luck with shrimp... but I had some aiptasia size of a quarter and a real peppermint shrimp took care of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Mdk16

I know you don't have luck with shrimp... but I had some aiptasia size of a quarter and a real peppermint shrimp took care of it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

+1. I added 4 peppermint's after spotting a few tiny aiptaisa on a rock from my previous tank. I had used aiptaisaX in the past and while it took care of the ones I used it on, others kept popping up. Since I added the peppermint's I have not seen a single one and the initial one was gone overnight. I love those guys.
They probably won't eat a giant one but I would throw a few shrimp in as where there is one large aiptaisa there are generally more growing.

Status
Not open for further replies.