Choff's Modified RSM650 Reef Chronicle

Choff

I'm overdue for some Picts. Been a long time since I've been on the site.

I have not really done much with the tank in the last month. Been stressing over a slow moving lobophora algae that spreading and I need to deal with it. Google that stuff , it's pretty nasty stuff to get rid of. The good news is it's not unsightly, it actually looks like a dark patch of coralline. The bad news is it will overgrow coral and its approaching my joes rainbow frag I got from Bryan (PSU4ME) that is just starting to grow off the plug and I don't want to move it. I'm either buying a blonde naso or doing a peroxide treatment on it. I keep going back and forth.

The shipment I got from Battlecorals last month is just awesome. They are all sitting in my FT, but the colors are really really coming on. Once I deal with the lobo, I'm going to need to promote a bunch of the the DT. Finding room is the other issue. My DT is already packed.

salty23

Would love to see some of the corals from battle. Glad they are doing great. I've been in the verge of getting some!! Hope you win the battle with the lobophora algea!! Looking forward to new photo updates bud

Choff

I'll get those pics some day :)

Bought a blonde naso tang that arrived today from DD (bag is floating as I write this). They are one of the few critters that supposedly eat lobophora algae. The fish is a rental for a year or so before I will need to sell him. They really need an 8' tank.

...stupid auto correct

Choff

Naso is doing ok. Hiding in the corner mostly. The purple and the kole tangs have been giving him the business, but nothing to bad. Hopefully they will all play nice in a day or 2 and mr naso can get down to business and eat that algae.

Seagars

waiting to see the updated pictures/video as i am going to get a Gyre today and looking forward to see what other 650s owners have done with it.

Choff

Hey Gang, sorry I have been in tank maintenance mode the last couple of months. I think I have the winter blues with all this snow. I really haven't been around and done almost nothing to my tanks except clean the front glass. I've been trying to take down my fuge for weeks as its become over run with algae and I'm afraid its going to make its way to the DT, but so far so good. Love the new forum design, but not having it on tapatalk is tough.

How the 3 tangs are getting along is interesting. There is no fighting, but the Purple and Naso are not buddies like Purple and Kole. I mostly see the Naso at the top of the tank or in the extreme left. He is doing his job and has slowly taken care of my Lobophora algae problem. There are still tiny patches, but mostly gone. The Naso is also still very shy. Anytime I come near the tank he bolts to the back corner under the shelf. Since I've gotten him though I don't think I have put my hands into the DT. Unlike all my other fish who have gotten used to my constant meddling.

Anyway, I need to get off my butt one of these days. I really need to do some coral rearranging. I have some nice pieces in the FT that I want to move to the DT and vice versa. Overall tank is doing well. Color is awesome, growth is ok.

I'll get some pics up at some point. :)

LakeLivin

Hey Mike, Long time no chat... How are things on the reef front? I know you had a lot of projects in the works last time we spoke. I spent the summer mostly outdoors on the lake and ignored the tank. However, I'm back indoors more and finally finishing a couple projects that I had been planning for awhile now. I know you went with the gyre but I just saw a demo of the Vortechs and they were not lying when they said they were 90% quieter. I'm happy with the Vortechs and I have so many rocks they appear to work best for me. Consequently, I'll be picking up a pair of the quietdrives when they become readily available. The current drives are ab out the only thing that make any noticeable noise so it will be nice to replace them.

You might have saw that I finally got the DOS up and running and loving it. Works as advertised. Anyway, show us some damn pics. Curious to see how the 650 looks with the new vitarock now that they should be pretty well covered in corals

LakeLivin

I'm curious to see how things have progressed with your tank but I can wait until you are ready. Hope it's all going well and it has not crashed on you or something. :)

Choff

Hey, thanks for checking in on me. I have definitely been in a lull with the tank. I've been scraping along dong the bare minimum keeping the tank a float. I've had a recent cyano outbreak that has kicked me in gear though. I tore down my FT and did a thorough cleaning. Did the same with the sump. I'm going to hit the DT this week and then I'll post some pics. I'm almost embarrassed at my lack of growth though. It's very frustrating. If I didn't have such great color I would have scrapped this hobby long ago.

Choff

Been awhile since I posted, but I'm still just as much into my tank now as when I first started. [emoji41]

I have a significant change coming in a few weeks. I'm dumping the stock hood modified with 4 kessils in favor of an ATI hybrid power module. I've changed my philosophy from led supplemented with t5 to t5 supplemented with led. I've been trading frags with a local guy who is running an ATI sun power and cannot believe how much better the exact same frags look in his tank vs my tank. I typically run 4 t5s, but tried 8 and still didn't touch his ATI unit. Same bulb combo too.
The clincher was when I sold him my Colorado sunburst. It always looked good in my tank, but once it was in his tank it was the wow - stunning BTA I thought I bought.

I did go with the 48" unit instead of the 60" unit because I may use a Kessil on each end simply for the shimmer that I've gotten used to. The 60" unit is not also not dimmable and had an added shipping charge of $350.

My color has always been good, but growth has been so so. Most of the growth was directly under my kessils and because they are so close to the water I'm not getting a lot of spread. Im hoping this new unit solves all of that.

More to come.....