Choff's Modified RSM650 Reef Chronicle

Choff

Hi All,

Yes, I am starting a new tank thread. My first thread was a build thread and really the focus of my first 2 years back in the hobby has been all about the build and the system itself with really the coral and fish taking a back seat. Only very recently has my focus shifted to the corals and their actual growth. With that I decided to start a new thread as I kind of view this point as almost my new starting point. My old thread will remain in my signature, but will be locked shortly. I'm going to do a quick recap of my build here as a consolidation of sorts.

Key Dates:
03/19/12 - Tank Ordered
04/24/12 - Tank Delivered
06/01/12 - Tank begins cycle
07/01/12 - First fish purchased (2 ebony ocellaris still with me)
07/29/12 - First coral purchase (a candy cane still with me)
09/30/13 - Tank wipeout due to CFL bulb cracking in sump
11/10/13 - Back to back knee injuries - little tank work for 6 months
06/04/14 - Vidarock transition begins
08/01/14 - The new beginning

I am considering 8/1 as the new beginning with the primary trigger being the custom aquascape I purchased from Cermeco (Vidarock). For the first time ever I was really happy with my scape and the build out of the sump room was essentially complete. It was also the first time I locked in my corals with super glue as I used to move them around far too much. They were constantly being re-positioned due to a rescape or simply just because and of course them falling to their doom behind rocks or in the sand bed.

System (est 310 gallons total water volume):
  • Display
    • Tank: RSM650 - 150 gallons (Tank and Cabinet are the only OEM pieces left)
    • Lights:
      • 4 x Kessil 360w supplemented with
      • 4 x 80w t5's (2 x ATI blu+, ATI Actinic, ATI Coral+ and GE 6500)
      • 5 x Apex Moonlights
    • Flow: 4 stock RSM power heads + 2 MP40's
    • Bottom: DSB + Vidarock Scape
  • Sump
    • Tank: 125 gal show w/custom DIY baffles
    • Light: GE 6500 CFL for Chaeto ball
    • Flow:
      • Eheim 1252 utility pump
      • Reeflo Gold Hammerhead return pump
    • Bottom: Bare
    • Other:
      • SRO XP 3000i Skimmer w/Auto neck cleaner and waste collector
      • SRO 3000D calcium reactor w/aquarium plants regulator
      • Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
      • JBJ 1/3hp Chiller
      • 3 x 250w Eheim Jaeger heaters
      • NextReef SMR1 XL media reactor running Seachem Matrix
      • BRS Canister reactor running Seachem Seagel
      • BRS Canister reactor running BRS ROX carbon
  • Frag Tank
    • Tank: 40 gal Breeder w/bean animal overflow
    • Lights: Radion XR30 gen2
    • Flow: 2 x MP10
    • Bottom: Bare
  • Refugium
    • Tank: 40 gal Breeder
    • Lights: 2x 6500 GE CFL
    • Flow: 2 x Jebao RW-4
    • Bottom: DSB + 30# of live rock
    • Other:
      • Santa Monica Surf2 algae skimmer
  • Misc
    • Genesis Reef automated water change system
    • Apex controller
      • 2 x pH, 2 x Temp, ORP and Salinity probes
      • LSM, VDM, WXM and water sensors
    • Foscam F19826P Sump room camera
    • BRS 7 stage 150 gpd RODI (extra pre filter and dual DI chambers)

On to some Picts:

Sump room Design:

Actual:

Sump:

FT:

Fuge:

Genesis:

Display as of 8/1

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Choff

I plan on trying to take a FTS monthly to chronicle my (hopeful) growth of the tank:

Bryan, PSU4ME came over last weekend and did a tank "consultation" with me to rearrange my corals based on growth patterns (tables vs bushes etc), so yes I already moved my corals again, but should be for the last time unless something is unhappy in it's spot.

This is my October FTS

Choff

Order placed with Battle Corals for this frag pack. I'm also doing a pooled order with my local board from Cultivated Reef on Monday for Saturday delivery. Still debating what I'm going to order with them.

1 poison ivy
2 Rommel watermelon
3 crazy banana milli
4 BC bonsai
5 Gary's yellow
6 PC rainbow
7 beehive 2.0
8 the BPG ( blue polyps granny)
9 BC Xmas
10 palmers blue milli ( getting subbed out tbd because I have it)

Yes, they are fresh cut. Adam will hold them a week plus before shipping.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Wow, this is going to be an AMAZING TANK! Excited & thankful that you are sharing it's progress in this new thread. :yehoo:

Choff

Mega order day!! Battle Corals, Live Aquaria and cultivated reef. Some incredible, incredible stuff. While those wait to color up for pics here is some shots I took today. These are raw unedited photos using our cannon 60D w/cannon macro 100mm lens. LEDs set to 10K

Take note of the rock in some of the closeups. That look like ceramic to you?

Jason Fox Cosmopolitan. This chalice did nothing for 8 months. Nothing. Then in less than a month that lower shroud started to grow down.

Zoos!

Hammer time

Plates:

Lobo

Blasto:

All my SPS shots come washed out and don't show off their colors. I need to figure out how to use this camera better:

My 2 favorite corals, my rock flower and meat coral

Orange stripe chillin in his coral garden

How many fish do you see in this pict? (hint it's more than 2)

end on a FTS:

Thanks for lookin!!

Choff

Thanks guys... And the Picts are existing corals. The new adds are not ready for prime time yet

...stupid auto correct

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You scared the crap out of me when I saw you thread had been closed :p Awesome to see your new thread and pics though!! The tank is looking sublime and I love the rockwork :yup: it's already starting to look like it's been there for ages with the growth it's getting :) You've got some amazing corals in there and I love that rock flower nem of yours! :yup:

I'm really digging your fishroom setup too :) nice and neat and under control! Looking awesome mate!

Choff

Thanks gang. Wrangy, I'm going nowhere. I'm more into this hobby after 2 years than I ever was. Thanks for the kind words.

Yorkie, those Picts are with the pumps off. Anyone can have a clear tank if you let everything settle before taking pictures. :D

LakeLivin

Looking good Mike! I'll tag along with your new thread as I'm always interested to see what you are up to. My tank has been doing great (fingers crossed) and I'm finally at a point where I'm just maintaining and not making any changes. Still loving the Radions and my corals have adjusted very well. Have been running them at 35% while in acclimation mode and I just bumped them up to 40%.

Choff

Thanks for stopping by Tim. It took me a while longer, but I'm at the same point now.

...stupid auto correct

spiraling

I love your tank. I've been thinking about how man mad pieces of 'rock' could be a lot more visually compelling to aquascape with. I think you proved my theory.

Bryan, PSU4ME came over last weekend and did a tank "consultation" with me to rearrange my corals based on growth patterns (tables vs bushes etc), so yes I already moved my corals again, but should be for the last time unless something is unhappy in it's spot.

I would be very interested to know what you moved around on his advice. Can you show a before and after shot and explain why the corals were moved?

Choff

Thanks spiral , i appreciate the kind words.

The big thing Brian got me to do was to remount the tabling acros so their plugs were mounted vertically and not horizontally. I put all my frags in facing up. By making the switch this will make the corals grow out and up making a better use of the 3d space and more visually appealing as the coral will grow out from the rock. The other thing was to do some rearranging based on color and he suggested moving some less desirable pieces down to my frag tank. I had a few browned out frags I was trying to color up and that is better suited to my ft. I also had a couple of generic , not spectacular pieces that will be swapped out due to my recent order of goodies for battle corals and cultivated reef.

I'll take a picture tomorrow morning (lights will be off when I get home tonight) of a prime example of some of the changes.

...stupid auto correct