Choff's Modified RSM650 Reef Chronicle

spiraling

The big thing Brian got me to do was to remount the tabling acros so their plugs were mounted vertically and not horizontally. I put all my frags in facing up. By making the switch this will make the corals grow out and up making a better use of the 3d space and more visually appealing as the coral will grow out from the rock.

Thant makes perfect sense. ...and now I have MUCH better ideas for my tank. I, too, was thinking they had to be on tops of the rocks. But now I'm seeing them more in 3-D space. Thanks for the great aquascaping tip!

Choff

OK... I did something a little different last night. I converted my tank to white from black. Love it!

Sorry, no pics until tomorrow. I finished late last night and in the car early for my sons all day lax tourney.

If you recall, I almost moved this summer and the new house was all gleaming white so I bought the conversion kit.

On that note, if anyone is interested in a black conversion kit please let me know. I'll sell it cheaply. I have to look up how much I paid for my kit, but I'd be looking for about 40 pct of new. It's in excellent condition.

For my Triton test kit to. I popped that in the mail in Friday.

...stupid auto correct

Choff

Riptide delivered! I made 2 2 minute comparison videos.

I turned off my return pump for the comparison.

My regular pump set up has 4 front facing power heads that I think are 540 gph each and one has a spinner. Then I have 2 mp 40s set at 70 pct on each end of the tank.

Choffs regular pumps: http://youtu.be/lASN1GoIkJo

The riptide is set to continuous mode at 40 pct power.

Choffs riptide: http://youtu.be/MfBQAlifVDc

My take. Noise is a low hum. Above 40 pct it gets louder and higher pitched, but in comparison to an mp40 its quiet. There are 4 modes. Continuous, pulse (you can set the time between pulses), alternating which reverses the flow at set intervals and finally feed mode.

I thought I was going to like alternating because the low flow spot for me is right under the unitn(look that the yellow plate coral and bubble coral in the bids). Reverse would have cured that as well as given some variation in flow. Problem is in reverse its too strong directly below the unit. It might be great for other set ups, but not mine. I'm going with pulse and I think I'm going to keep 2 of the 4 front facing power heads on. This will solve my one dead spot issue, give me some variable flow and I need some flow in that back chamber to prevent stagnation back there.

They supply you with a spare set of rotors and cages. This leads me to believe that they know the life expectancy of these rotors is relatively low and something that may need to be replaced every 6 months to a year.

Overall very, very satisfied and would certainly suggest buying one if you have a lot of pumps in your tank and want to lean out the look and save some electricity.

...stupid auto correct

...stupid auto correct

StirCrayzy

Not bad.
I like the water movement, still get decent back and forth even on the sand bed under the rocks.
I think given the choices, I'd buy one over a MP40. Not sure what to make of the spare parts giveaway. Either it's a gesture of support, or a statement of lifespan.... Time will tell I guess.

Oxylebius

Ended up putting it vertically. It was too much flow on the sandbed

Was the flow on the sandbed concentrated in one area (e.g. one end of the tank vs the other side) or was the flow pretty constant across the whole sandbed (and in your opinion was more than you wanted)? This is an item I am seriously contemplating on buying in the near future, but my tank is not as long as yours, so trying to gauge it.

Choff

The flow on the sand bed is highest at the far side of the unit. The near side had flow, but a lot of it was blocked by the rocks.

I really really like it vertically though. I have it at 30pct and you cannot hear it.

...stupid auto correct

LakeLivin

Interesting, I guess it is probably too much for me seeing that my sand is much finer than yours. Between the one circulation pump, return pump and the two MP40's (running at 40% power) that I run I'm pretty satisfied with the flow I'm getting so I think I will leave well enough alone.

Choff

I got zero sand movement and I have fine sand on top. I use Miniflakes.

I also turned off both mp40s and 2 of my 4 rear powerheads. The best part is tank is silent now and I save a little money with 1 pump replacing 4.

salty23

Wow amazing thread choff . Can't believe I missed it.

My Gyre is coming in this week as well!
Where do you recommend I mount it? Vertically or horizontally? I have fine sand in my tank as well and I'm worried about it being blown.

Oxylebius

Thanks for all the great feedback on the gyre. I don't have mp40s or any other extra pumps, only filtration pumps. Since my sps are growing larger and are starting to block water movement more, I have to start to think about additional pumps. I really don't like the additional pumps that are added to the sides of the tanks, the extra cords, etc. I want a nice clear looking tank. This gyre has been the best option for me in what I've seen out there.

How is it mounted? Specifically what is on the outside of the tank to keep it in place? Are they magnets?

LakeLivin

I got zero sand movement and I have fine sand on top. I use Miniflakes.

I also turned off both mp40s and 2 of my 4 rear powerheads. The best part is tank is silent now and I save a little money with 1 pump replacing 4.

My bad.. When you said you had too much flow on your sandbed I mistakenly assumed you were saying it was moving the sand itself.

Choff

Wow amazing thread choff . Can't believe I missed it.

My Gyre is coming in this week as well!
Where do you recommend I mount it? Vertically or horizontally? I have fine sand in my tank as well and I'm worried about it being blown.

Horizontal was ok, but I liking pulse mode vertically. No matter which orientation I used my sand never moved even on full. It's hard to explain, but the water movement just seems gentler.

Thanks for all the great feedback on the gyre. I don't have mp40s or any other extra pumps, only filtration pumps. Since my sps are growing larger and are starting to block water movement more, I have to start to think about additional pumps. I really don't like the additional pumps that are added to the sides of the tanks, the extra cords, etc. I want a nice clear looking tank. This gyre has been the best option for me in what I've seen out there.

How is it mounted? Specifically what is on the outside of the tank to keep it in place? Are they magnets?

Held on by a magnet. The outside magnet is very very low profile, it runs the length of the unit.

My bad.. When you said you had too much flow on your sandbed I mistakenly assumed you were saying it was moving the sand itself.

I could see where you thought that. Any other pump would mean sandstorm, but for some reason the way the water flows it doesn't mess with my sand bed at all.

The longer I have the pump the more I like it. I extended the time between pulses so now the wave action seems more like the ocean. Crash, rest, crash and so on

Nob35

I'm doing some catching up on every bodies tanks. Glad to to see yours doing well and now have a reliable review on the riptide. Have you noticed if your temp has come down any since turning off the 2 rear pumps. I have been wondering how much heat those put out in to the tank. I know we can't go off your system for exact readings but if your tank gets .1 to .2 cooler it would probably translate to .5 to 1 difference for the rest of us. By the way still no word on my vida rock, thinking about trying something else or at least another vender.

Choff

Nob, get in touch with Greg at cultivated reef about the vidarock.

Can't say much about temp this time of year. My heaters are already running quite a bit. Can't tell if they are running more or less. I'm actually swapping out my external return pump for an internal pump for more heat in the system.

...stupid auto correct

Choff

My wave line dc12000 arrived today. Can't wait to get that hooked up this weekend. It will be less flow, but a ton less electricity and noise.