Choff's Modified RSM650 Reef Chronicle

Mdk16

Hey Mike. Just catching up on your new thread. Looks like you have been busy. Its nice to see you given some lovin to the DT after the two year fish room build. Everything looks fantastic. Nice additions!

Choff

Well, I had quite a thanksgiving. My return pump line where the pipe enters the tank sprung a pinhole leak at the joint where I cut the original pipe and joined my own pipe. Of course, this was discovered at 11 pm last night. I didn't have the exact fittings I needed on hand, but I could redo the entire line with a slightly different configuration. 3 hours later I'm ready to turn the pump back on. Upstairs everything looks great. Head to basement where things don't look so great . I botched one joint. Not a big deal, I cut out the section and then realized that the last Union I had was 1-1/4 and not 1-1/2. At this same time I drop the pvc cleaner into the sump. So I drained the last 2 sections, cleaned it and refilled it. 3 am now and still can't finish the fix. Going to have to wait till 6 to hit lowes. Fitful sleep for a few hours, lowes run and then permanent fix in place by 9 am.

Everything seems no worse for wear. Only a 2 degree temp drop.

Good times...

DaddyTLi

I'm glad everything eventually worked out. Yes, with less to no sleep and much frustration I'm sure.

Peace be with you.

Tom

Choff

Thanks for all the well wishes. It was a hellish night for sure.

Yes, love the gyre and probably going to pick up a second one and stop using all the rear power heads. I'm gong to wait though until they are controllable.

...stupid auto correct

salty23

Yes, love the gyre and probably going to pick up a second one and stop using all the rear power heads. I'm gong to wait though until they are controllable.

...stupid auto correct
My Gyre makes some noises when I'm running it over 50% on pulse mode. Are you experiencing anything? I might have to buy those extra pads to help silence it.

Choff

At 50 pct pulse mode sounded like my cellphone vibrating and drove me crazy. I kept reaching for it. I run at 40 pct. after a week of running i don't hear it now

Choff

I think the key to these for our tanks is 2 being run at 30 pct, ideally paired functionality. I hope they roll that out soon, but if I had to bet we won't see that until summer.

Joeys Tank

Following along makes me definitely consider this. Running two of them in a vertical orientation to get flow from behind the rocks to the front (left/right) and letting the return nozzle cause some disruption/turbulent flow top to bottom. If continuous flow, then now would be a good time to get them. If you are looking for synching up pulse modes, then a controller sounds like the best path (unless you fine tune the pulses which would have to be done each time you shut them off).

Choff

Got a shipment of sticks in from battle corals this morning. Last coral order until spring. : (

I'll post some pictures in a few days when they color up a bit.

...stupid auto correct

DaddyTLi

...stupid auto correct
I thought it comes with a controller.

Choff

It comes with a basic controller. There is speculation there will be an advancd controller that will allow you to sync more than one like the vortechs.