Changing Salt Question

Jackalope

OK, so ive praised Aquavitro Salinity for a tad over a year now and from what ive gathered from personal ex. and from others including my LFS which is actually a really smart individual lol. i have gained the fact that Salinity being a mech./chem. "man-made" salt a.k.a. synthetic, its come to my concern on Why i have not gotten much skeletal growth on my corals. my acans grow there polyps like crazy, spreading over my rock. the war coral has tripled in diameter and yet the skeletons being calcium based are... lacking? from reading a TON of boomer's threads from multiple places on the net, ive found that:

-the type of calcium and other minerals (trace) etc. are not as easilly picked up and utilized by corals for skeletal growth in Salinity.

-from what ive read on RedSea and what there new Coral Pro Salt is about and the proccess on which its made, im thinking on making the switch.

this is in part of reading from BRS and watching a vid. on how redsea makes/gains there salt. in terms its gotten From the red sea itself through i guess you would call de-salinization proccess. from this talking to my LFS owner, he said when he used it, His corals in his personal tank seemed to use up more calc. and mag., etc. from the salt, hence More water changes.... But WAIT! isnt "corals using up more materials" than before a good thing in essense?? being that omg, yes... you have to do more water changes. so? this cost half as much as Salinity but my corals will be healthier and use up more avail. elements they need in order to maintain a propper skeletal backbone from which to grow further? so i guess im tossing out the Q of:

Who has used RedSea's new salt: Coral Pro Salt? and is it indeed a good product possibly better than Aquavitro's Salinity?

TY all :apint:

jpsika08

James,
I have recently began using Red Sea Coral Pro, I don't have lots of corals but the few
I have are thrilling in the tank, even the montipora that went in there a week ago is beginning to shift form.

Here some positive facts,
1. It dissolves quickly in the water, just takes me 1 hour of mixing for fully dissolved and ready.
2. Water Params were almost as stated, just Calcium was a little lower than it was supposed to be but maybe my mix was not good (Water amount).
3. Packaging top notch even when opening the bucket for the first time, didn't need tools to do so.

If I think of more I will post them here.

Jackalope

Thanks Juan, always appreciated for your responses!

hey thats a nice looking fish on your avatar. is it new? what is it??
i finally got my DIY rocks done. they look awfull ugly atm with brown algae trying to thrive off it, but the bridge is in place!

jpsika08

Great news about your rock, pics please :)

Thanks about my avatar, it's my new Pygmy Multicolor Angel, a real beauty :D

Jackalope

well im DL'ing them to photobucket as of now, but on the phone with wife so i have NO idea how long my phone will take to send them out rofl. inc soon though.... i hope!

lcstorc

I have tried several different salts and my favorite is still TmProReef. Each one will have it's strength and weaknesses. If your salt lacks a certain element or if your corals are using it more quickly then you always have the option of dosing your tank with that element. Many people add calc particularly as you get more hard corals. Just watch your parameters and adjust appropriately.
I have never used their new Coral Pro but from what I remember I had some issues with consistency with the original RedSea.

GlassMunky

I'm almost finished with my second bucket of the new red sea coral pro salt and my corals LOVE IT!!!! All my SPS are growing like crazy. I noticed the difference immediately when I switched. Good salt.

mbdave

Please dont hit me!!!
I use Instant Ocean have for years with never any issues. I have used Reef Crystals on occasion and have a bucket in the garage for when this IO bucket is done. Both have been great just the RC seems to bring the mag up a bit better.
I usually dose some mag in the mix tub of the IO after testing it works well and it is cheaper:)