Big Al's "Mountain Reef"

Frankie

RS STAFF
So sorry about this Allen, terrible experience your going through.
Sounds like a complete crash from a possile power outage while you slept?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Forum Runner

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
That's a massive bummer mate!! I'm sorry to hear it, hopefully everything that's still okay bounces back really quickly!

Well darn brother!!! I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope you are able to get it worked out and get everything leveled out again. With your experience, I am sure you will have it looking beautiful again in no time.

Spikewire

Ohhhh Al. So sorry to hear this but try to stay positive. Hopefully you'll get it to bounce back asap. Hang in there.

I love the hobby but I definitely worry about the disasters that can happen to our expensive money pits. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Matt

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here's a 1 month update after the "Over Dose" situation.

I've been battling this "issue" with heavy water changes and then on top of it all the DRY side of my MP10 is going out. Talk about noisy and HOT to the touch. I've been running it at a very low speed during the day and OFF at night. I just can't force myself to pay the $110 for a new dry side after recently replacing the inside assembly.

Back on topic now... After the Kalk OD the GHA has taken off like crazy. Honestly I've never seen it grow this fast and this thick. Over the weekend I lost my original SW fish from January of 2007. Of course she was "Nemo" and after 6 years was really a part of our extended family. All of our friends were attached to her and it's with sad hearts she "disappeared". I'm sure with a robust clean up crew (including a purple reef lobster) the evidence vanished pretty quickly. Really you can't complain too much because she wasn't tiny/young when I bought her and that was 6 1/2 years ago.

Any whoo.... tonight I'm going to give the tank a huge going-over. I'm either going to "Nuke" all the rock in the tank or possibly just buy new rock and start over. I've lost all coral except some softies, all fish except 1 bangai cardinal but I still have a strong clean-up crew. If this new approach doesn't work the tank is going to be broken down and either stored for later use in a new house or sold off to someone local.

We'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
so sorry to hear you lost your original clown
1346.gif

Best of luck with the rebuild Allen hang in there mate !

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Very sad to read that lost your clownfish :( Hope your situation improves & that you don't give up the hobby that you love. Keeping a tank isn't easy but we know You can put a glass box together in beautiful style! :)
Hang in there, do what it takes & keep us updated so we can cheer you along!
Chin UP Allen! This might be your que to upgrade a size even? What da you think? I'd vote for that! :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks gang. I appreciate all the kind words and sentiments. That's part of this hobby and if you stay in it long enough you'll probably go through one of these "episodes" at least one time or so lol.

I'm not getting out of the hobby though. It would just be breaking this one tank down (only one at home) and when we get the new house built starting from scratch.

I've talked to a couple of local reefing pals and they are insisting I not break the tank down LOL! I'll probably just scrap the existing rock and go new after a thorough cleaning inside and out. I may even try one of those new Vortech competitor's pumps I've been reading about.

I'm going to clean the tank and try some "creative" approaches first and see where it goes. I'll snap some BEFORE pictures hopefully tonight.

JK1

Hi Al, so sorry to hear this. My heart sank when reading. This tank and you have been a huge inspiration for me and mine and I hope to see it bounce back even better than before. Best of luck.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear all that Allen :( keep your chin up and hopefully you get things back on track! You've been one of my greatest and most helpful motivators to really get involved with this hobby and I don't think my tank would be anywhere near half what it is at the moment without your help. I really really hope you get it up and running to its full glory as it has always been such a wonderful tank! :) All the best mate and keep us updated? :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Not sure if you've already seen this photo Allen and it's not much but I wouldn't not have it on my tank as it serves as a reminder of how helpful you've been to me and how much of an inspiration and motivator for this hobby as well. It's also there just to quietly keep me striving to obtain the best environment I can for my soon to be aquatic friends :) So stay strong and thank-you for your patience and help with not only me but everyone on RS that you have helped and will help :)