Big Al's "Mountain Reef"

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well it's a LONG way from being "Ready" but I did unbox the tank and stand tonight so that's a start! I'm going to shoot for some form of a "Bonsai" look in this tank so wish me luck!

Here's the first picture of the tank (boring LOL)
RSM_2_17_2011.jpg

The ROCK is on order (Thanks Reef Cleaners) so one day next week we'll be WET!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
We love all pics !!! Thanks for starting a tank thread - really look forward to following along & all the best of good luck !!!
1218.gif

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks yall! I can't wait to get the rock & sand into this tank and start moving some coral over.

I gotta start out giving John and ReefCleaners.org some HIGH remarks. I emailed John asking questions about their "50# Base Rock Package". We exchanged several email (and FAST too) and the next day not only has he hand-picked my rock but it's already packaged and en-route! I can't say enough about the customer service that ReefCleaners.org shows every single time. Maybe John needs to look into teaching "Business 101" and "Customer Service - How it SHOULD be done" classes!

THANK YOU JOHN! :whstlr::bigbounce:thumber:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Does anyone have their tank in some type of "Spill Containment" pan/tub? I'm placing this baby on hardwood floor and I've seen first hand what NaClH2O does to hardwood even with limited exposure. I don't want to do that to my mom's floors (did I just say mom's floor? oiiyyy).

I was thinking about looking to get a washer/water heater pan and sitting the whole unit into that to help contain smaller splashed and spills.

So whatcha think? :dunno:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Nope one of the beauties of AIO... you should be fine Allen... unless you add a sump & overflow... you can feel (short of a tank glass break 1 in 1000) ... very confident in no leaks - I have a $3,500 TV 4" from mine & well... I don't splash... you should not either... with even a bit of care - imo - cheers !

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No it's still in the living room Up & Running. Grrr

I bought new rock for a couple of reasons:

1) The design I'm going for requires a fairly specific set of rock and pretty much little to none of what I have now will work long-term.

2) If I take a large amount (1/3) of the existing LR out of the system without removing a proportional amount of the bio-load I could cause some water parameter issues

Hope this helps :)

Come on up :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Allen I have see pics... of lots of RSM's in some very expensive homes on some very nice hardwood floors - of all the post in the RSM club (I have read them all) I never remember anyone putting anything under them to catch water... leak or splash... anyone that knows of one... jump in ! Cheers !

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Al - The pan sounds like a wise idea. Maybe put a rug under that to keep it from scatching the floor? I don't recall anyone doing this before.

catran

I think that's a great idea Al. I was thinking of sort of a modded pan of some sort for a sump I want to build. I plan to put a leak detector in it because I am so scared of an flood. I love wood floors and it would be a shame to ruin "your" wood floor!