Back at it with the RSM250

Lipman

Thanks guys, ill try and get a good picture of one of the Astrea Snails. When they are fully out of the shells moving they are really cool looking.
I ended up grabbing 10 more of them yesterday, decided not to get anymore crabs though.. (They itch cc:*goma*) :p

Lipman

On a Side Note, My tank sits at about 80 right now.
You would think living in Canada and my tank being in the basement that It would be a bit cooler but guess not. Now that Summer is approaching I'm thinking about getting a Chiller. I've looked on Ebay, craigslist etc to find a deal and no luck so far.

My question is this, since i just need to lower the temp a little bit do i need to get an expensive unit, or can I go a little cheaper?. Does anyone know of any online deals happening now or anytime soon?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
The problem with chillers, I just don't think there are any cheap ones. But I can tell ya, that having one sure takes lots of worry away. Any chiller will be better than no chiller....we have to worry about LIGHTS and PUMPS giving off heat constantly.
I bought a JBJ 1/10HP & that's a little less than maybe I should have bought but it's price was easier to accept than the next size up & it's doing a very good job for me.

Lipman

Looks like I may be able to get myself an Aqua euro usa brand chiller 1/4hp. Its been used for 3 months and its going for $350 CAD. I plan on trying to offer the guy $300 at first to see if he will cover my 2 hour drive.
Is this a good brand, good price? He said he paid $550 USD

Look forward to hearing some feedback :)

I have that model. I got mine on sale from a LFS and paid about the same amount. If you can get that, I would say go for it.

Lipman

The dimensions are just really big 17.5/13/17.5, My tank is also only 65 gal and this one does up to 170 does that make a difference?

The 1/4hp will do just fine for your tank. You may find that it doesn't need to run as much as if you had the 1/10hp like I have. It will also work in case you decide to upgrade to a larger tank in the future.

Lipman

Looks like I got that chiller, i just have a 2 hour drive ahead of me to get it. Its a beautiful day though so I'm excited for the drive lol (i finally dont have a snow)..

Question is this, how can I test this if at all when I go pick it up? I'll plug it in but is there anything else I can do to make sure it's working correctly?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Congrats, I hope all is well with it! I know you will have lots of worry relief, not having to think about your tank temps getting too high and fluctuating so much. I think the only way you'll be able to check it out is to hook it up. Maybe you should ask him to guarantee it to work right...?? It's a 2 hour drive back if it doesn't. Maybe you could check out the LFS while you are that far away :D ...I know I would. Safe travels, update with good news :)

Lipman

Ya i have always had a hard time buying things from Craigslist. Ill talk to the guy about if it doesn't work and what we will do from that point. As for a LFS, this guy is all the way up in the country side, nothing but land, lakes and tree's for as far as you can see. I don't think he has a LFS anywhere even close to him!

Ill just trust the guy and hope him and I can work something out :)

Lipman

Ok just got home, what an amazing day!

I got the chiller, the guy was very nice and let me know if it did have any issues to just bring it back ( I went to his house so I know how to find him lol) and he would give me the money back. He ensured me it works though.

Im going to let it sit for about 24 hours because it did just bounce around a bit in my car.
Im looking forward to setting it up :)

Lipman

Here is a pic of my new setup!
20130504_173204_zpsc633af77.jpg

20130504_173236_zps1920b49e.jpg

20130504_173243_zps7dcd884d.jpg

Now i just need to wait for the Tunze 3155 ATO and I think (I Hope) I'm set!

Thanks for the help again everyone I would have had a hard time getting this far without all of you!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Great setup! Beautifully neat too which makes everything so much easier :eek:lsmile:

Lipman

Ok finally got it all set up today, interesting system that's for sure.
I had some issues but after looking online it seems like the 1/4 model (maybe others also) show 1 degree off, So 79 really means its at 80.
It also only kicks in when its 2 degree difference from what you want it at, ( if you have it set at 77 it will turn on when it hits 79). Saw online someone say its so its not always running just to set my temp 1 degree lower and it will balance out (So if you want 77 set it to 76).

I have it using the pump from the right chamber in my tank right now but im unsure if that's strong enough ( still trying to figure that one out).

In the end its working and doing what I need it to, and when its on I have no clue! (I have heard it though at one point to make sure it was not broken).

That's my little update!

Hey there......congrats on getting it setup and running. You will now have some peace of mind.

I ended up getting another pump just for my chiller. It was an Eheim and it works like a charm. Just make sure you get one rated for your tank size in gallons. I put it in the same chamber on the right, but put mine below the secondary tank pump since that one kind of just hangs there in the middle.

Congrats again!!!

Lipman

So it looks like everything is working, temp is holding. Im going to install a fan on the back of the stand though to help it cool it better.