Back at it with the RSM250

Lipman

Just an update -

I was given the green light to add a few things to my tank! Lets not get too excited because im going to start up with a little clean up crew.
I need to get this algae cleaned up a bit, my LFS suggested some snails, crab and stuff like that but I want to see what you all suggest.
I know snails can multiply fast and i don't want them to take over the tank, suggestions on this would be great.

Besides that does anyone have any suggestions on what i can put in my tank that will do a great job at cleaning?

Very excited, even though its just a clean up crew :)

thedru13

Hey Lipman... I just ordered a CUC this is what I got for my 250...
50 Dwarf Ceriths
12 Nassarius
15 Florida Ceriths
10 Nerites
14 assorted hermits
2 Emerald Crabs

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I love snails for cuc ! Mine keep my tank 99.5% algae free... around one per gallon is what I like :dance:

Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, Nerites, Margarita, Mexican Turbos & Nassariu

You can start off a new tank 1/2 this many, than add more in a month or two.

No hermits here... crabs eat snails ;)

I skipped on getting hermits after reading some of the posts here also. I also talked to the LFS and they told me that sometimes the hermits will kill the snails for their shells if theirs are getting too small. The turbos are esp susceptible since they have larger shells than some of the smaller ones. If you decide to go with hermits, try to make sure that your snails don't have larger shells than the hermits.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I got 4 BIG Mexican Turbos & they ate down a whole forest of wavy green hair algae right after my tank cycled. They are HUGE now an I wish I only had 2 because I'm having to feed them dried seaweed now, algae doesn't have a chance to grow.
Here are 3 of them polishing off a clipper of seaweed:
null_zps9a4660b5.jpg
[/IMG]
Don't get too many of these but one or two are awesome! :D

Lipman

So after going to my LFS and having my water tested I was told to wait it out a few more days!!! :waa:
I guess its part of the game though, going to wait it out 3 more day and hope everything looks fine then.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry you have to wait longer but that's better taking a chance of killing your first tank buddies with toxic ammonia & nitrites.
Did they tell you what the test results were? Maybe you have a decent LFS...there are ones that would sell you your CUC no matter what the tests showed.

Lipman

The store I use is a really good one with bunch of great people. They told me im really close but they don't want me to take the risk. I believe they said i still had trace amounts of nitrites in my water. Im assuming now that Im using Ro water this will also help me get that nitrites level down to 0.

Lipman

At first I though it would just be easier to use tap water. Yes its easier in terms of its right there at my tap, but in the long run it makes it harder for the tank i realized.
Ill try my LFS again tomorrow afternoon. Im just so excited hahah

Lipman

Hello Everyone, hope you all had a great weekend!

I'm currently looking into purchasing a "tunze 3155 ATO", It seems to be the suggested top off system in the forums.

Just wanted to know where everyone got it from, if online can someone provide me a link? I prefer to use sites others have used before.
Ill ask my LFS about it today they may have one in stock.

Thanks in advance!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I've debated the ATO also...still don't know if I'll add one or not. I hate installing anything (not a DIY person) and I fear forgetting to turn it off & dropping my SG too low. But it sure would be good for times that I might like to be out of town for a few days.
Can't advise on where to get one, but I'm following along to see how you do with it! :D

Lipman

I'm a very big DIY guy!
Main reason I want this is because I'm topping off about 1 Gal a day into my tank, yes I can do this by hand but i can see this getting very annoying after a few months. Another huge reason is exactly like you said, being out of town!
Ill be going out of town in June and want to get this all set up before then.

Ill keep you updated on if i get one, and if I do ill post pics of install :)

Can't help you with the sites. I know MarineDepot.com carries them. I got lucky, I was talking to my LFS and told them I was wanting to get one, so the next day, they were to their supplier, and got one for me. I just had to pick it up in their store. It was the best thing I could have added to the tank besides my chiller.

DaddyTLi

Hello Everyone, hope you all had a great weekend!

I'm currently looking into purchasing a "tunze 3155 ATO", It seems to be the suggested top off system in the forums.

Just wanted to know where everyone got it from, if online can someone provide me a link? I prefer to use sites others have used before.
Ill ask my LFS about it today they may have one in stock.

Thanks in advance!

I use three main sites Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Supplies - Bulk Reef Supply, Aquarium Supplies, Fish Aquarium Tanks, Fish Supplies, Aquarium Lighting and more!, and Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products.

Tom

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I buy from Bulk Reef Supply and Dr Fosters and Smith for almost all of my tank stuff. There are times I can't find something at one of these two but they get 99% of my business. Both have quick shipping and great customer service.

Lipman

Thanks everyone, Ill ask my LFS today and hope for the best!
If they don't have it Ill order online ( just hate ordering online sometimes when Shipping to Canada is so much sometimes).
It seems as if this is the product I want though, great reviews and everyone seems happy!

Thanks again everyone

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Congrats, easiest & best install ever :D
If you tie the CPE bags to the shelf above them (through the holes, so to dangle them in the water flow) it makes it a little easier to raise & lower the shelf when you need to take it out for any reason. Just sitting them on the shelf works OK too but they sometimes get pushed off the shelf by water flow going up & down. Mine do anyway :)