Back at it with the RSM250

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I add about 3/4 to 1 gallon a day topoff - with no chiller & rear cooling fans always running... some days I go two days then a gallon & 1/2... keeping the water level consistent is key to the skimmer working

Lipman

Thanks for the fast reply, sounds like we are in the same situation with the no chiller and rear fans always running. I'm actually shocked how fast that water drops but happy to hear that its normal.

I Just added some water to top it off!

When you add water do you try to get the perfect salinity level, or try and match the tank? I found after the evaporation the salinity level was up a bit in my tank, So when I mixed I went a little less to try and get that balance. (Was that the correct thing to do?)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Topoff water should be plain ro/di not saltwater, the salt does not evaporate - of course checking with a refractometer is always a good idea :)

Here where I live, we have temps to 116F

ambient home temp, we keep at 73F

Lipman

Yes good point, I actually knew that but for some reason i guess i just got excited and jumped on the fact i got to play with my tank lol.
Im going to look into where i can get my hands on RO water for top offs, and ill use my tap still (for now) for water changes.

Lipman

Maybe a Stupid question, but is it safe for me to use a zip tie in my tank?
I find my carbon filter keeps floating up and the slows the water flow on the main pump to the point where it almost runs dry. Wanted to see if i could zip tie the carbon bag down to that shelf inside the back. :)

Lipman

Haha, i was actually just looking at the post as you said to check it out.
Ill use a zip tie for now and then order this shelf tonight!

You guys are the best, thanks again!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Here's a better link to the RSM 250 media shelf & it's on sale for a few more days:
RSM 250 Media Basket
I had troubles with the little stock shelf floating up so I'm not sure even a zip tie would hold your carbon bag in place. I actually place a rock on top of it & even that had to be re-done fairly often.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
There are no dumb questions, we are all learning and most of us have asked the same questions at some point in the journey ... I remember topping off with sw too, until someone reminded me, when I was started out... we are all learning & here to help everyone have sw success :) I have used zip ties too ;)

Lipman

got home to find my tank having the same water issue due to my carbon bag. Just ordered my inTank upgrade media shelf for the RSM 250!
Once again, thanks for the tip!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Congrats on a GOOD BUY & on SALE too :bouncer:
Lots of us (me included) run 2 bags of Chemi-Pure Elite (CPE) and a 100ml packet of Purigen on the shelfs.
If that's the way you want to go, we can post you a picture of how to load it. I really love my shelf :D

Lipman

I ALWAYS love to see pictures of others tanks, it helps me out and also lets me know if im on the right track!
I'm going to the store tonight to grab some stuff, ill get a few of the suggested bags from above (even though im not sure what they all do yet ;P )

Lipman

Sorry guys ive been MIA over the weekend. I had a green algae outbreak in my tank over the weekend and i have been just been working on getting it under control. Lights have been turned off and working on getting my levels all sorted out again.
Pictures coming soon.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Green is part of the cycle process, betting you're right on track. :)
Here's Glenn's picture of a loaded media shelf (using CPE & Purigen)
DA249235-9FAD-4DCF-9433-F129960B0C6C-26119-00001F3A4F58B475_zpsf98a872f.jpg
[/IMG]
And here's where I use the blue/white filter pad:
null_zps86b95b4f.jpg
[/IMG]
I cut it to fit, stretch it a wee bit thinner & change it out fairly often. It gets dirty fast sometimes.

Lipman

Is it ok to use woman's nylon as a filter bag? My wife has so many lying around and figured if they do the same job I would take advantage of it. :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Is it ok to use woman's nylon as a filter bag? My wife has so many lying around and figured if they do the same job I would take advantage of it. :)
That's EXACTLY what I used. :) You can expect it to grow a fungus type coating over it also. I used a small rock to anchor it to the bottom. & also used it to lure out a great long bristleworm. I leave small ones in as part of the CUC but this one was to HUGE for my liking :D
I know how excited you are and this is just the beginning of the FUN. L:heart:VE this hobby ;)