Back at it with the RSM250

Lipman

I think I may bring mine back down to the 65-70 range. I would mess around with colors but unfortunately I can't due to the broken LEDs. (Once again my fault for not dealing with that when they were willing to help).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Hey LipmanJ!
I understand that sometimes we get busy, happens to me pretty much daily.

We are still willing to assist you with getting your LED system up and running back at 100% functionality.

Just shoot me an email at Techsupport@StevesLEDs.com and just make the title "LIPMANJ" I'll set the email to automatically forward to me so I can personally assist you with this.

How's that for service?

Jeff

Lipman

Wow Jeff, that is simply amazing! I can't thank you enough for that! I'll get right on it and email you so we can get these LEDs up and running! Once again thanks so much!

This is the exact reason why I decided to purchase these LEDs in the first place, top quality product and amazing service to go along with it.

:)

Lipman

Another update, did another 25% WC on Sunday and the tank is finally looking good again sand is back to a white from brown. Blenny is happy and settled in and working away. Still have a lot of brownish/redish algae though.

Going to take my hood apart on Thursday and get my LEDS sent back to Jeff, he's been more then helpful :).

I also have realized my CUC is down to 1 Tux Urchin, and 3 blue leg hermits, and 2 Snails. The Blue leg hermits have eaten ever snail they can get to. This being said im going to pull them from the tank and replace with only snails at this point.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Pics to come soon :)

Lipman

So i noticed yesterday that my hammer head was not very happy. Im not too sure if its due to the constant WC's or what.

So i decided to hold off on the 5Gal WC today and go back to the %25 sundays.

lights are the same, pumps are the same etc. If anyone has suggest please let me know!

Lipman

So I decided to contact a company today that does maintenance and makeovers for tanks. They will come to my house to quote how much it will be but i figured for the next bit to get my tank where I want it I may need some help.

I have requested monthly maintenance and cleaning and as for the makeover, i may have them add a sump, or whatever is required to get the tank back to where I want it.

Once its back on track I will cut this down to once every 2 months.

Has anyone done this before, it feels like im cheating but i also just want the best for this tank.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
it's not cheating... if it helps you enjoy the tank/hobby ! besides if they whip it into shape & it stays looking great, you will learn from what they are doing... :nessie:

Just be sure to post pics along the journey and share with us !

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
OH MY GOD :eek::eeknew: You're back Josh!! :D :bounce: How did I miss seeing your thread pop back into life!?

It's really good to hear from you again mate! I hope the family is all doing well and life is treating you right :) It's also great to hear that your tank is still running and while it may have had some neglect that you're getting back into it and bringing it back to life and full happiness again! It sounds like the strict water changes have helped and started to make a real difference again too.

I definitely agree with Glenn though, it's not cheating. Especially if it helps you get more from this amazing hobby and helps your inhabitants with an extra set of hands doing some maintenance. Hopefully it's not too expensive and they're a nice bunch! :)

I'm really glad to hear everything is good and seeing you post again mate :) Looking forward to some pics again, it's been a while :nekid: haha

Lipman

Wrangy, great to see your name pop up back up in here as well :). Hope you and the tank are doing well!

The guy for cleaning my tank called me back but I was away and missed it. I'll call him back again tomorrow to see what their price brake down is :).

Another water change down and changed out the media today. Nice to be back into the flow of things!

Question for all,
How long can my tank stay dark? I'm about to return my LEDs and want to make sure everything in the tank stays happy!

Also a side note, I added a starfish and rainbow torch last week both are doing great.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and got their water change done :).

5a131b49c53a7a7f175f58d1f923e3ab.jpg
483785e683d8746a0ec0e6e071622337.jpg

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wrangy, great to see your name pop up back up in here as well :). Hope you and the tank are doing well!

The guy for cleaning my tank called me back but I was away and missed it. I'll call him back again tomorrow to see what their price brake down is :).

Another water change down and changed out the media today. Nice to be back into the flow of things!

Question for all,
How long can my tank stay dark? I'm about to return my LEDs and want to make sure everything in the tank stays happy!

Also a side note, I added a starfish and rainbow torch last week both are doing great.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and got their water change done :).

5a131b49c53a7a7f175f58d1f923e3ab.jpg
483785e683d8746a0ec0e6e071622337.jpg

Don't worry I'm not that easy to be rid of ;) I still like to hang around and pester everyone when I'm feeling annoying :p Tank is doing famously :) I restarted it at the beginning of the year and it has come along in leaps and bounds since :)

Hopefully it won't break the bank and you can have that extra set of hands to help keep the tank going along nicely! I'm sure you'll notice another improvement with the new media settling in too now!

I believe Glenn left his tank without lights for 10 days while he had his hood fitted with some glorious new StevesLED's :D @nanoreefing4fun am I correct? lol 3 days won't make any difference, I've done that but after 5ish you might see some sulking for a few days to a week when you do get lights back but nothing that isn't dire! If you were really worried, get a cheap t5 fixture, even just 2 bulbs and run that for the period you have no lights or see if you can borrow one from someone :)

Lovely new additions :) That torch is really nice!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Dom is correct ^, my corals went 10 days with no lights & did fine ! I will never hesitate to recommend 4-5 days in the dark to fight algae if needed - you should be fine.

and here is a an encouraging sidebar - something I have not shared before... I was worried about my corals going longer than 10 days (while they were developing the new drop in RSM 250 lights, with vids) & Steve ( of StevesLED's) actually had my hood (new leds) driven to me, rather than ship them 600 miles one way to save a few days shipping... one of his employee drove 20 hours round trip to get them to me, was the best customer service I could ever imagine, driving 1,200 miles for a personal delivery.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I borrowed lights from a LFS owner while I waited for my replacement hood so my tank was never in complete darkness. Doing that probably just eased my mind more than benefiting my tank. ;)
I'd love to have someone with SW tank knowledge to do tank maintenance for me. Josh, you are lucky to find help of this type. I hope the help turns out to be good & reliable. Keep us posted with an UPdate of his it goes please!!

Lipman

Testing testing, is this thing on ;). I'm back everyone and hope you are all doing well.

So time for an update, my tank got some really bad algae, I tried everything, I even called in the pros and they told me It was just to far gone. Everything had died so it was time to just shut the tank down (about 5 years ago). Hard news to take, but the amount of money and hours I was spending to try and keep it going was getting crazy all to look at algae.

Since then my fresh and salt water tank have just been sitting here looking horrible. After listening to my wife complain about how they looked I started last November removing all my old sand, live rock etc., I cleaned up some of the rocks the best I could and put them aside for the odd chance I decided to start again. Well last December I had my first kid and I remember all the fun I had with my dad working on a tank so here I am setting it back up!. He is only about a year old now, but I've seen him at the LFS and he is mesmerized by the tanks (if it will give me 30 min of quiet, well ill take it).

I had to fix a few pumps as the impellers broke, cleaned up old pumps and cables not being used, cleaned everything down, ordered a bunch of new filters for my RODI system + Tank, and ordered some new fans that ill install this week. Hoping in the next few weeks to get water and sand so I can get the cycle started!. - Actually super excited to start again but this time fresh and with a lot of knowledge I didn't have the first time around.
This time around I'm going for a cleaner setup, less rock (so I can clean everywhere in the tank if needed, last time I was not able to get behind the live rock and it was gross). I'm also going with a finer grade sand this time around as I do like the look better and I'm only going to stock with Fish for the first little bit to be 100% sure my tank is stable.

If there is still interest, I will update along the way, hopefully it may catch someone's attention who was in the same situation I was and maybe give them that push to start again. Once again, hope everyone is doing well and hope to see some names from the past if they are still lurking around.

StirCrayzy

Its been pretty slow around here lately, i check in here and there and always hoping to see some action, but alas ... here we are...
My tank has always been pretty ugly but healthy, so i can relate to the struggle. Im never looking to get a super clean tank for that reason, but had it lookin really good at one point which got my wife an kids more interested, so after i move houses, might setup a little different for the next round...

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Welcome back! I love a good 8 year revival thread! Excited to see the new build and happy to help with any selection debates - for instance fine sand is nice but too fine and it blows around a lot.

Are you looking to do softies or sps? That answer will help understand flow need.

And congrats on the little one!

Lipman

Thanks for the welcomes (again)!

Its not as busy as it once was here I agree, but maybe we can get people to come back or at least get them interested again :). As long as you have a healthy tank, that's what really matters @StirCrayzy

@PSU4ME At this point in time I'm thinking fish only, since I wont have as much time this time around as I did last (because of the kid) I think just dealing with some fun fish for him would be the best (some clown fish etc). If I get coral maybe some Zoas, Frogspawn or just overall easy coals. I never thought about the sand blowing around, deff something I need to consider. Thanks for the congrats :)

At this point my update is this..
I added some extra live rock to my tank as what I had I felt was not enough (Still a very simple clean look but built up a little more) - Pics will come soon :).

I went to start making some water and I realized that these filters are super old and i should just get some new ones before I start the process, those arrived yesterday so tonight is the night *WE START TO MAKE SOME WATER!* - silly how happy this makes me.

Anyways, thanks for stopping in, and I will keep the updates coming just for the chance we see some old faces ;).

Lipman

Got a quick question hopefully someone can help.. it's a newbie question but I figured I should ask..

When I start my cycle should I be using my 2 chemi pure elite and Purigen, or should I wait this out for the cycle to finish?

Also should I use the skimmer during the cycle process?

Some additional info, Im using dry rock, live sand and no bio filter bag ( was told to not use that last time I did this). I do have the big black sponge filters though that protect around the pumps.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Lipman

So I'm going to run the CPE and Purigen, but ill leave my skimmer and lights off (after looking more online).

Current update
My RODI is making water (need 70Gal, so taking some time). I got some bio support to help with the cycle, and I picked up 40lb of ocean direct Caribbean sand.

Next few days the plan is this..
1- Add water to the tank
2- Add salt to the tank
3- Add sand to the tank + Bio support.
4- Test, test, test + keep adding bio support.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
What are you using to cycle? Always been a fan of the raw shrimp method!