Back at it with the RSM250

Lipman

Last time I never used anything but I did have live rock from the LFS.
This time around I do have the live sand, but I have been considering a shrimp, or even just ghost feed the tank.. I've been on the fence tbh and still not 100% sure!.

I just want to do it as clean as possible, not to add any extra to the tank so was hoping the sand would be enough... Maybe its not though?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
You don’t want a weak cycle imo as it could cycle again. It’s a cleaned shrimp in there and follow with some testing!

Lipman

It's a learning experience and I'm going to change it up vs last time Shrimp it is! - agree a second cycle is not what I want to deal with lol.

Only about 20 more gal of water to go before I can fill it up, add some salt and the sand :).

Lipman

Started to fill the tank last night!
Still need to make more water though, hoping to have enough by the end of the night..

Next step, turn on the pumps and get the water to clean up.
Then ill add the salt + sand + Shrimp the next day..

Excited to see water again!

Attachments

• PXL_20231201_015056003.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231201_015056003.MP.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 1

Lipman

Two days ago I added the sand + salt.
Yesterday I had to replace my heater - no big deal.
Dosed Bio support + added my shrimp!

Ill run my first tests tonight and sit and wait :D

Not the best pic but an update. - The water is clearing up from the sand day by day.
1701871106759.png

Lipman

So my pump 1 broke. I replaced it with a Jebao DCA-3000. I'll say this, I never realized how loud that stock pump was. I'm probably going to change pump 2 and the skimmer out with new DC pumps next.

Hopefully it will be quieter, use less energy and not run as hot.

Lipman

Replaced the broken water cooling fans today, they are still super loud and annoying but hopefully it brings my temps down. Tank just running with no skimmer or lights sits around 79/80F.

I've been looking at the Tunze Comline DOC DC Protein Skimmer 9004.001as a replacement to the stock one. I hear it will fit in place of the current stock skimmer with no mods required.
I'm also going to change pump 2 in the next little bit to a Jaebo DCA-2000, so far I'm happy with the DCA-3000 and hopefully those changes will also help with my high temps.

I'll continue to post the to few people who visit here, but more for myself to keep a log/timeline that I can refer to again one day. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Lipman

Beautiful aquascaping and your tank is sparkling clean!

I am also working on getting my old black RSM250 in a top shape again, does not look that good yet, but getting there slowly :).

Thanks! I wanted to try and keep it simple this time around so the feed back is nice to hear :).

Mine was a mess, lots of scrubbing and vinegar and finally got it cleaned the best I could get it. Awesome to hear you are getting yours back up and running, and also welcome to the forums :). It's very quiet around here these days but it's always great seeing new people.

Keep us updated with your tank and how it's going!

Magick88

Thanks! I wanted to try and keep it simple this time around so the feed back is nice to hear :).

Mine was a mess, lots of scrubbing and vinegar and finally got it cleaned the best I could get it. Awesome to hear you are getting yours back up and running, and also welcome to the forums :). It's very quiet around here these days but it's always great seeing new people.

Keep us updated with your tank and how it's going!

Mine was never completely shut down, but suffered near crash and was looking probably similar to yours soon before shutdown. I decided to get a nano to start from scratch and move animals, which would allow me to fight more aggressively vermitid snails, aiptasia and just algae in the other tank.

Even just thinking about starting from scratch, having a nice and clean tank to look at to, gave me so much energy and motivation that I *almost* cleaned up the old one. Looks already good from a distance ;)

BTW, I love RSM250, I think it looks beautiful (cabinet & canopy), I also like T5s, I was using them to heat the tank, to avoid heater-related problems, canopy also limits evaporation.

I think it looks better than newer Red Sea models with LEDs - but I am dreading the moment I will need to exchange ballasts, I was looking for instructions in the forums today, to do it preventively, but links to some detailed instructions from Steves LEDs do not work anymore - have you ever done it?

Lipman

Mine was never completely shut down, but suffered near crash and was looking probably similar to yours soon before shutdown. I decided to get a nano to start from scratch and move animals, which would allow me to fight more aggressively vermitid snails, aiptasia and just algae in the other tank.

Even just thinking about starting from scratch, having a nice and clean tank to look at to, gave me so much energy and motivation that I *almost* cleaned up the old one. Looks already good from a distance ;)

BTW, I love RSM250, I think it looks beautiful (cabinet & canopy), I also like T5s, I was using them to heat the tank, to avoid heater-related problems, canopy also limits evaporation.

I think it looks better than newer Red Sea models with LEDs - but I am dreading the moment I will need to exchange ballasts, I was looking for instructions in the forums today, to do it preventively, but links to some detailed instructions from Steves LEDs do not work anymore - have you ever done it?
I'm currently using Steves LEDs and love them. I maybe able to find you the instructions, almost sure I still have them. I may also have the ballasts still, if so I'm sure we can work something out and I'll get them shipped your way.

Lipman

So quick update, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I still haven't had my spikes during my cycle. I'm just sitting here patiently waiting..

Using live sand, bio support and I'm into shrimp #2. My ammonia sits at 0.5 - 1, nitrite is 0 nitrate is 20-40.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them. Otherwise I'll just sit and wait.. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Lipman

Update time, after weeks my tank has still not cycled.
No spikes nothing So I decided to remove the shrimp, did a 20% WC and added Bacto Blend and Bacto balls into the system.
Now we wait and keep testing.

Happy Holidays to all!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Water cleared up nicely! You might have missed the cycle but I would do two things. Either add slowly or add a small clean up crew and over feed a little. Test to see what happens

Lipman

So the first time I went up my tank I definitely missed it. This time I tested daily and don't know how I could have missed it again. The water looks great though. I'll give it until boxing day and add a lil cuc or a clown.

Can't wait to see some action in the tank again!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Dosing some microbacter will def help and if things go south, plan to have a big WC on hand!

Lipman

Levels seem to be where I want them, I guess I missed the spike again somehow. :dunno:

I'm going to try and grab two clowns this week to get something going! I was going to start with a CUC, but they would just starve I think since there is nothing for them to eat.

Very excited to get some life going again! I'll post pics as soon as I get them!