• Yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Underpriced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lbiminiblue

Well i haven't bought any and i don't know what it takes to maintain them...maybe as home grown corals become more common, the price willd rop

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
if you deal with the right people, good healthy acans can cost money. If you want cheap, get a poster of an aquarium. I dont think paying someone for their time/effor/expertise to keep/frag/treat and keep them alive. If it was easy, girlscouts would sell coral instead of cookies.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
For some reason, they don't do well in my RSM tank so I've quit trying. I haven't tried them in my nano, though. I couldn't get a chalice to thrive in my RSM but I have two thriving in my nano. I think my RSM lighting was just too bright for them, could be the case for acans too. I think the expense question really depends on who/where you buy them. My Reef to Yours has them for a great price, but I've seen other sites that are outrageous.

lbiminiblue

lol meant to put Will Drop...if your still confused, I mean that most of the time, captive raised sea creatures are cheaper, except for things like ORA mandarins that sometimes are trained to eat prepared foods.

Doogle

There are a lot of things like that which I think are overpriced, usually because they grow quickly is my reason. Bubble tip anemones, Kenya trees, montipora caps, acans, Duncan's. Although some fads are to blame, what's hot this year...chalices? Ugh
Divers Den and MyReefToYours. Ill buy acans from Jared anytime, I've been happy with them and he has better priced frags than other places.

lbiminiblue

I agree with you on that....but as far as livestock is concerned, i'm not sure the price can be helped. One thing I still can't wrap my mind around is the price of cleaner shrimp....

ReefApprentice

They at my stores sell 3 rainbow heads for $120.i get the "normal" ones for $20 a head that are purple and green or light blue with orange(i call them gators).

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
The purple and greens are sometimes also called hulk. That's still a little high for them at $20 a head. I normally sell that color at $6-$10 a head depending on the size of the frag (the more heads the cheaper per head it gets). In the wholesale world though acans have quadrupled in price in the last year.