About to take the Plunge into a RSM250, What would you do?

awolla

Hello, Everyone :) I am so nervous but have done lots of reading and studying and I think I am ready to take the leap! This will be my first saltwater tank, and I would love to know your opinions!

First, a Dumb Question: Does the RSM have an auto refiller?

Second: What accessories/ upgrades / to the standard equipment would you find most beneficial and necessary to the longlasting health and success of your reef aquarium? Like, chillers, heaters, lighting, skimmers, etc etc and if you could be specific as to the brands, I would really appreciate it! I know I have a long journey in front of me, and I really want to start off on the right foot.... oh, I mean on the right fin.

:bow::help:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello :wave: and welcome to RS!

No it does NOT have whats called an Auto Top Off system. I highly suggest looking into and purchasing the Tunze 3155 Osmolator.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

My 1st swt was a RSM 130D, I basically ran it stock, had such success with it & all my fish & corals, I bought a Beautiful RSM 250 & just Love it !

I run my RSM 250 stock too, I added a MP10 powerhead for additional flow, but didn't have to even do that, but I do recommend them.

I think it's the perfect 1st swt ! :dance: and the support of the RSM club, with so many having a tank just like your is such a plus - everyone here will help you have success !

awolla

Thank you for the WELCOME'S! It's really nice to feel confident about making such a large purchase and you guys are helping me out!

okay, I googed the tunze ATO and RAVE reviews! where do you think is a good place for the top off tank?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
awolla - Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club!

The top off reservoir is usually placed in the cabinet, but can be kept on the side also.

awolla

:hallo: and thank you! do you find the lighting to be expensive to run? would LED's be an upgrade that would limit the need for a chiller as well as lower electric bills? or am I just thinking too much!?

tnwillia

I look at it like this 6x39W = 234W total for the stock Hood T5s. Thats 2.5 100W light bulbs running say 9 hours a day. LEDs would run cooler and use less power but they are not cheap and its a big modification to get them into the stock hood in place of the LEDs. The chiller will depend on where you are, You want stability of the water temp (+/- 2 degrees). Biggest problem I had that took me to a chiller was temp swings of 6 to 8 degrees I could not control. IMHO best thing will be to start up the tank completely stock the first 6 months or so, learn it's quirks and then see what you may want to change. Good luck and have fun with it!

It will help everyone with your questions if you add your location to your signature, thanks!

awolla

I look at it like this 6x39W = 234W total for the stock Hood T5s. Thats 2.5 100W light bulbs running say 9 hours a day. LEDs would run cooler and use less power but they are not cheap and its a big modification to get them into the stock hood in place of the LEDs. The chiller will depend on where you are, You want stability of the water temp (+/- 2 degrees). Biggest problem I had that took me to a chiller was temp swings of 6 to 8 degrees I could not control. IMHO best thing will be to start up the tank completely stock the first 6 months or so, learn it's quirks and then see what you may want to change. Good luck and have fun with it!

It will help everyone with your questions if you add your location to your signature, thanks!

Oh,okay!

Thank you so much for the tips, I have been avidly reading 'the conscientious marine aquarist' and it's been very helpful, but you guys are even better! I live in Florida, and it's hot & humid like 9 months out of the year, I keep my house at a constant 77 if that helps....

N83259

Welcome. Good folks & good information in this forum.

Chiller: You can wait and see if you need a chiller. Also depends on where you live and your HVAC system in the home. In my experience, if your room temp will regularly exceed 72-74degF, then you may need a chiller. My room temp is 72degF and with stock equipment I get a tank temp of 79-80degF. IMO that's the max, so I bought a chiller. Plus it buys me insurance if my AC system malfunctions while I'm away on hot days. You can observe temps after setting up the system and decide later. If you do buy a chiller and plan to keep it inside the cabinet, buy an internal exhaust fan.

RO/DI Filter. This is the most important piece of equipment you can have. Don't start a tank until you have one, or be prepared to buy RO/DI water somewhere. Don't be tempted to run tap water no matter how "clean" you think it is. Worth every penny and it's great for drinking and horticultural purposes too. They have come way down in price over the years.

Heater: Most folks replace the included Red Sea heater b/c of reported reliability issues. No big deal, good ones are cheap. Jaeger is good.

Skimmer: Stock unit works well for me. Others have upgraded.

Other: You need a device to check salinity levels. Do yourself a favor and get a refractometer. Very accurate, cost: $$60-$100USD.
You'll need a test kit, good salt mix, sand. Lots of opinions out there on which brands to buy.

As you go along you'll want tools and nick-nacks like algae scrapers, in tank thermometer(s), filter floss, media products (depending on water conditions). glue or epoxy for mounting corals, foods, turkey baster, fish net, maybe gloves. There's lots to spend on but you can get by fine on the basics, especially in the begining.

Advanced: As some people progress, they add sumps, power back up systems, extra powerheads for specialized flow, etc. The list goes on and you can customize a RSM250 if you want to acheive a lot of different goals, styles and biotopes. But the stock unit is very complete and can be used as is, but most customize to some degree as they go along.

Good luck and have fun. This is a great hobby, enjoy.

steved13

PREMIUM
Oh,okay!

Thank you so much for the tips, I have been avidly reading 'the conscientious marine aquarist' and it's been very helpful, but you guys are even better! I live in Florida, and it's hot & humid like 9 months out of the year, I keep my house at a constant 77 if that helps....

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary. With room temp of 77 I think you'll probably need a chiller, I run my RSM 250 with a JBJ arctica 1/10 HP and it works well.

RSM250PEARL

Hi awolla, welcome to RS and the RSM Club. Great source of info here with lots of helpful threads and helpful members. Good luck and have fun!

awolla

Welcome. Good folks & good information in this forum.

Chiller: You can wait and see if you need a chiller. Also depends on where you live and your HVAC system in the home. In my experience, if your room temp will regularly exceed 72-74degF, then you may need a chiller. My room temp is 72degF and with stock equipment I get a tank temp of 79-80degF. IMO that's the max, so I bought a chiller. Plus it buys me insurance if my AC system malfunctions while I'm away on hot days. You can observe temps after setting up the system and decide later. If you do buy a chiller and plan to keep it inside the cabinet, buy an internal exhaust fan.

RO/DI Filter. This is the most important piece of equipment you can have. Don't start a tank until you have one, or be prepared to buy RO/DI water somewhere. Don't be tempted to run tap water no matter how "clean" you think it is. Worth every penny and it's great for drinking and horticultural purposes too. They have come way down in price over the years.

Heater: Most folks replace the included Red Sea heater b/c of reported reliability issues. No big deal, good ones are cheap. Jaeger is good.

Skimmer: Stock unit works well for me. Others have upgraded.

Other: You need a device to check salinity levels. Do yourself a favor and get a refractometer. Very accurate, cost: $$60-$100USD.
You'll need a test kit, good salt mix, sand. Lots of opinions out there on which brands to buy.

As you go along you'll want tools and nick-nacks like algae scrapers, in tank thermometer(s), filter floss, media products (depending on water conditions). glue or epoxy for mounting corals, foods, turkey baster, fish net, maybe gloves. There's lots to spend on but you can get by fine on the basics, especially in the begining.

Advanced: As some people progress, they add sumps, power back up systems, extra powerheads for specialized flow, etc. The list goes on and you can customize a RSM250 if you want to acheive a lot of different goals, styles and biotopes. But the stock unit is very complete and can be used as is, but most customize to some degree as they go along.

Good luck and have fun. This is a great hobby, enjoy.

Thank you! I was wondering about the heaters, I read some people having problems with them working or even exploding... yikes!

There is a local shop that sells RO/DI water, but it seems it would be best to get my own, in the long run it's probably easier than hauling water back and forth...

I am grateful for advice... and so glad RSM has made a product that so many people stand behind.

awolla

I read somewhere that you can use anything to keep the water in, even large tupperware containers? like plastic totes.... ?

awolla

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary. With room temp of 77 I think you'll probably need a chiller, I run my RSM 250 with a JBJ arctica 1/10 HP and it works well.

okay, seems pretty mandatory........... thank you for the brand, i am looking into it now, and it's great to have a place to start.