20 Gal FOWLR journey

AJK

Hi friends, been awhile since I've visit. Phew !! Too much work lately. I'll leave out all the details, but basically 20 gal long tank wouldn't fit into 55 gal stand properly, so I built another tank stand. Frame work is finally done !! Stand weighs like 500 lbs, I can hardly pick it up, Lol !!!! next I'll be adding water resistance base to the wood, add front panel, doors, sand, paint, etc.. etc.. Lol !!! Then, put my sump together, overflow, etc.... Should be done in a few weeks, in the mean time, will be stocking up on sand/live rock for the tank. Then once my car is paid off in 3 months, T5 HO light or better. Stay tuned :)

55galtank1.jpg

Stretch

Has been struck by the ban stick
That stand looks great!! Great job!!

sent from Stretch's DROID X using Tapatalk

catran

Great job! Yeah, it looks heavy, lol! At least you know it's sturdy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AJK

Hello friends, been a long time since I visit, let me clean off the spider webs, Lol !!! I ran into some health issues, the past few months, had my thyroid removed, surgery took 6.5 hrs, surgeon stated I had the largest he's ever seen in his 40 yr career.

Once again I'm back into my salt tanks, my 20 gal is a yr and a month old now, doing really well, coraline went bezerk in the tank, constantly cleaning, clowns/damsels/featherduster doing fantastic !!

I finally finished 55 gal tank stand, messed up doors slightly, but no biggie, added water resistant sealant, still haven't decided what color to paint, but over the weekend I added 60 lbs of sand, preparing to cycle, so I can transfer 20gal to 55 gal,. Oh goodness, that's going to be fun !

Also finished 30gal with canopy :) More to come soon.

AJK

Hi Glenn, thanks friend, happy to be back :) Will visit your thread in a bit, see how your tank adventure is going.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Pretty new tank & love your clowns ! Great to hear you are recovering from the surgery & being able to get back in the game :dance:

AJK

Hi Glenn, thanks so much friend. I'm attached to my buddies now, they've been with me a year, I'm sure they can't wait to transfer to 55gal for more swimming area.

AJK

I feel horrible today, bad cold, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, headache, UGH ! But, while observing my tank last night, I noticed something growing on my rock, I was actually pretty excited, Lol !!! Have no idea what it is, good or bad, but tank is making progress. I tried to take pics, but none of them came out clear. They look like tiny bushes, growing all over the rock. If anyone could identify, that would be cool.

unknowncd.jpg

omerojs

Nice Tank !!! Hope to see the big one running!!
one thing that concerns me, and maybe you already thought about it... but that overflow and return lines that you have there.. i wonder if they would flood your SUMP if there is a power outage? could you try that by just unplugging the power of the return pump and see what happens..

AJK

Hi friend, thanks for compliment. Soon the 55gal will up and running. RO/DI unit takes forever to make water, Lol !!! Cycling in progress. Wow ! It's been a long time, since I researched sump overflow. According to my sources I read in the past, no problem with careful calculations. Many have created successful pvc overflow. But definetly going to refresh up on info and power outage test :)

catran

Hey, I'm so glad you're alright. Sorry to hear you were sick!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AJK

Hey, I'm so glad you're alright. Sorry to hear you were sick!

Hi Cat, hope your doing well friend. Thanx so much. Thyroid being out of wack, hardly had energy to do anything, but doing well now after surgery. 55 is finally in progress, cycling now :)

AJK

Hello friends, been awhile since I visit, but still havin fun with my salt tanks. My 20 gal is doing awesome ! Still have monthly coraline issues, Mexican turbo snails did an excellent job keeping clean, after coraline was gone, seem'd they deceased a few weeks afterwards. LFS doesn't have any at the moment.

But tank is 19 months old, bought an Atlantic anemone a few hrs ago, appears to be doing really, work'd it's way down the rocks, made a home for itself.

My 55 gal is finally set up !! :) 50 lbs of sand, tank full of water. Painting wood sealant was fun, now I don't have to worry about water damage. Still haven't decided what color to paint, I might just stain. Still need to finish sump. But seems like it took a month to fill with DI water from water filter, Lol !!!! Starting cycle phase. Tank is in my master bedroom, I moved tank several times in living room, just not enough room, wasn't happy. But I will have pics up of 55 gal real soon. Happy reefing everyone :)

atlanticanemone.jpg