20 Gal FOWLR journey

AJK

Hello friends,
My first fowlr tank began approx 2 months ago. Alot has changed over the past few weeks, I began with a 26 gal bowfront (tapwater), then transferred everything to 20 gal high, so far all is going well. Now, I have 2 damsels, a feather duster, kenya tree, mushroom polyps and something else (forgot name), 12 hermit crabs, 4 snails, will share pics later, would be cool if someone helps me identify. I made a video of tank, but quality is horrible !!!! Fish are very active swimmers, purple stuff growing on rocks.

Not to worry, only keeping 2 damsels in 20 gal tank. I bought a 30 gal for two clowns (future), and 55 gal tank to start reef (future).

I've learned by maintaining freshwater tank, less is better, same applies to saltwater.

I built a tank stand for 30 gal with canopy, will share pics later.

That's my update friends. More to come shortly :)

AJK

Hi friend,
Lol ! Oh really. Well to me it is. Thanks, I've learned alot here, making progress.

AJK

Hello friends,
Sharing some pics of progress, powder sand is so difficult to keep off rocks, no matter how much I use baster. I have over 100 pics, Lol !!! I'll share a few each week.

50001.jpg

Transfer from 26 bowfront to 20 gal high, damsels seem to love the 20 gal better, actively swimming compared to bowfront.

50002.jpg

50003.jpg

50004.jpg

Other then Kenya tree, I had forgotten what other two livestock is, help appreciated.

50005.jpg

And finally, tank stand/canopy I built for future marine tank. One day, I'll convert 120 gal to saltwater.

I took pics of each step of construction, in case other DIY's would like to give it a try. Measuring was most time consuming part of project. Next project is building a sump, wish me luck !!

AJK

Tonight, finally ordered a 4 stage RO/DI unit, can't wait till it get's here :) I'm sure my fish will be happy and no more lugging water jugs around to LFS. Purchasing more live rock on Wendsday and next on my list is HO lighting.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Hey AJK i was wondering if that was a fluval m series heater if it is i dont think it is fully submersible just wanted to let you know tank looks great.

AJK

Hi Friends, thanks so much :)

@Robzilla - Thanks for encouragement, 120 will be sw tank soon. Still have alot to learn.

@mcentire1123 - I thought same thing, cause top of heater state water level, package states submersible, so to be on the safe side, I called the company and they shared it was fully submersible. So, far it's working like a charm. Thanks :)

AJK

Making progress. Purchased a T5 dual light (10K and actinic) Wow !! what a difference lighting makes :) Also purchased 10 more lbs of live rock. Now, I can possibly upload some vids, with decent lighting. Rearranging tank tonight, more pics coming soon.

Last edited:

AJK

Hello friends, progress continues on. Today, I purchased black cover back glass, Aquaclear filter (hob), and API nitrite test kit. One day, I'll purchase master test kit. Well, only thing in hob filter is sponge. The powerhead attachment was way to big for 20 gal tank. Water change today. Re-arranged rocks to center of tank. Damsels are still doing well.

Hopefully, I get sump built soon. Once RO/DI unit comes in, I'll begin to add more beginner corals, which will livin up my tank. Maybe I'll have some visitors, Lol !!!

7500004.jpg

7500019.jpg

AJK

Continuing to make progress, refractometer should be here thursday, rodi unit in a few day's, picking up TDS meter from local hardware store thursday, another 50 lbs bags of IO salt, mixing salt with powerhead/heater in a bucket. Tank is doing well, will be doing better once rodi comes in. Now, I'm reading how to build a sump. That's the latest :)

AJK

My tapwater tested 169 PPM, now I'm going to test tapwater with Prime. Refractometer came in today, ro/di unit will be here on friday finally :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Just found this thread - looking forward to the updates. Nice build on that stand & canopy!

AJK

Just found this thread - looking forward to the updates. Nice build on that stand & canopy!

Hi Terry, hope your doing well friend. Thanks for visiting. Good to see you back :) Thanks for complimenting tank stand, plan on using 30 gal canopy for sps and clownfish, in my living room.