20 Gal FOWLR journey

AJK

Hello friends, I need to stay off CL, Lol !!! Bought a 55 gal tank today with stand, filter, sw gravel, rocks, etc..... A deal I couldn't pass up :thumbup: Just needs a good cleaning.

I began designing my 20 gal sump with skimmer, thinking this is an overkill for 20 gal DT. Have a beautiful strong oak dresser in my bedroom, was going to head to Petco, for $1 per gal sale to buy a 55 gal tank, problem is no where to put sump, got on craig's list and began doing some negotiating with several sellers. Finally, one accepted my offer. I picked up this tank/stand approx same price as tank from Petco. I was excited :bouncer: Today was my lucky day. Seller was being very generous.

So soon, my 55 gal sw adventure begins, stay tuned :)

55galtank.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Exciting. You have time to plan it right. Take ur time this will b fun. Now when u gettin the 125gal...?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

AJK

Exciting. You have time to plan it right. Take ur time this will b fun. Now when u gettin the 125gal...?

Hi Dmatt, thanks for visiting friend. I have to much time to plan, all my planning is making my wallet severly light, Lol !! Thanks friend, I'll try to slow down and enjoy. Happy reefing.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hi Dmatt, thanks for visiting friend. I have to much time to plan, all my planning is making my wallet severly light, Lol !! Thanks friend, I'll try to slow down and enjoy. Happy reefing.

This hobby is great right? Ya start small n u grow as your wallet allows Haha.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I can't wait to see the 55 and 125 running!! I love your yellow tail, DON'T get rid of him ! Does he have a name? Nice skimmer and clowns . What kind of sps you have ?

AJK

Sump in progress. Overflow cost me $15. As for toliet overflow tube, no stores had bulkhead in town. My brain at work, Lol !!! I bought additional rubber washers, cutting off top part of toliet mount. I'll probably end up ordering Eshopps overflow or bulkhead, if my design doesn't work.

sumpbuild1.jpg

sumpbuild2.jpg

Dollar store overflow :)

sumpbuild3.jpg

Collecting pcv for sump.

AJK

I can't wait to see the 55 and 125 running!! I love your yellow tail, DON'T get rid of him ! Does he have a name? Nice skimmer and clowns . What kind of sps you have ?

Hi friend, thanks for visiting. Thanks for compliments. I can't wait to see both tanks sw someday. I had a vision, when I bought 120 gal a few years back, but not the wallet size, Lol !!!! Thanks for lovin my yellowtail, I told em, and he's swimmin around on cloud 9,.

Actually I had 2, but one outgrew the other and became too aggressive. A member at the forum, named my first yellowtail Mr.Damsel, no name for 2nd one, unless you have one in mind.

All I have now is a Kenya tree/feather duster. My mushroom and candy coral didn't make it :(

catran

Wow, great deal on the 55g and stand! I'm going to have to start calling you MacGyver after your done with the overflow. Hope everything goes well. I've got my fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AJK

Hi friends,
After many hours of thinking, change of plans, overflow build with pvc. Dollar store containers worked too, but wasn't happy with the look. Ordered glass to be cut today for sump baffles, will be picking up on Thursday, making a mess with silicone, Lol !!!! 20 gal long sump, would not fit into stand, custom 20 gal long to fit in stand cost approx $55, new stand with correct dimensions $120, so I built a mini stand for my sump. Stay tuned :)

reeftank1.jpg

Progress so far with pvc overflow

reeftank2.jpg

PVC overflow test, it works !!!

AJK

Wow, great deal on the 55g and stand! I'm going to have to start calling you MacGyver after your done with the overflow. Hope everything goes well. I've got my fingers crossed!

Hi Cat, I'm becoming a craig's list expert, Lol !!!! Thanks friend, I've been brainstorming like crazy, trying to figure out all the measurements. So far, everything is going smoothly :) Tomorrow, I'll be making a mess with sillycone, Lol !!! Happy reefing friend.

Haaileybop

I am loving watching your progress! I think your handy-skills could put some people out of business! I just put my fish in my tank and I am already like hmmmm that bigger tank looks nice. LOL. And craigslist is awesome, I found my RO/DI unit on there for $50.

AJK

Hi friends, bummer picked up glass for baffles, width is 3/8" shorter then expected. So, more glass being cut at the moment, only this time, I have exact measurements, Lol !!! Picking up new glass within the hour. So, this evening, I'll start making a mess with sillycone. I may have to seperate baffles 1.5"-2", I have very large hands, will not be able to fit between an inch. Over the weekend, will be selecting a return pump. Hopefully by next weekend, I can get the 55 up and running. Stay tuned.

AJK

I am loving watching your progress! I think your handy-skills could put some people out of business! I just put my fish in my tank and I am already like hmmmm that bigger tank looks nice. LOL. And craigslist is awesome, I found my RO/DI unit on there for $50.

Hi Haailey, thanks so much friend. Happy, your enjoying progress along with me. I love watching your progress as well, learned alot from your threads. Should have called my thread budget reefing, Lol !!! Craig's list is awesome with patience. Great deal on RO/DI unit. Happy reefing.

Last edited:

AJK

Picked up glass today for sump, but too tired to install :( Now, I have spare glass for future sump use. Now, I'm trying to figure out, if I should put skimmer in sump or hang on sump. Decisions, decisions, more research, decisions, Lol !!

catran

Aw, sorry to hear the first glass was short. You have the weekend to do the sump!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AJK

Aw, sorry to hear the first glass was short. You have the weekend to do the sump!

Hi Cat, aww thanks so much for sympathetic thought friend. It was a setback. I haven't started sump yet, have too many questions, and not getting any answers, I called coralLife this morning, still haven't heard back from them. Hope all is going well with your tank systems. Happy reefing.

AJK

Hi friends, I haven't made any progress on my sump yet :( Over the weekend, I was thinking, skimmer will intake water from overflow compartment, skim, then return water back to the same compartment, before the fuge. So, skimmer will continously will be intaking water from skimmer out, mixed with overflow. Hope I'm not confusing anyone. So, I want to do is, extend the overflow elbow into the fuge section, just have to make sure overflow water does not go over baffle into fuge area, pump from skimmer will fill the fuge and return sections. But, I need to know the gph rating of skimmer pump. CoralLife has not called back yet. I don't know if it will work. My idea is, nothing but filtered clean water will return to DT. Probably not that critical, just somethin I thought up. Going to use ball valve to increase/decrease flow from overflow. I may just hang skimmer on DT. Just don't want a massive pump in DT.

sumpidea1.jpg