• Just trim out around glass and leave wall like it is

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

barbianj

Re: 1000+ Gallon Display Plywood / Fiberglass Build

A local guy put fishy-themed stained glass panels above his tank. Looked great.

Mbolt

holy cow! I'm afraid to let my wife see or she's going to stop me now! looks great, and you have way more talent & energy than I do!

MattShack

holy cow! I'm afraid to let my wife see or she's going to stop me now! looks great, and you have way more talent & energy than I do!

Thanks mbolt. It's definitely taking a lot of energy. I was thinking yesterday that I should have built this during the winter. It has been miserably hot and humid here for the last few weeks.

MattShack

Last night, I decided the tank was just a little too tall. We did 3-D drawings, and everything looked good on paper, but when standing in front of the tank, you could see too much of the top of the tank. So, I decided to lower the stand 4" today. I know this may not be the most interesting day of the build, but it is all I was able to get done.

The top of the stand was too heavy to even try to lift off, so I had to pry it up and place blocks under different sections and take one section of the stand out at a time, cut it, prime it, and put it back. This turned out to be a very long process.

Maybe tomorrow will be more interesting, I plan on getting some of the actual tank done.

Taking everyting apart.
061209disassemble.JPG

First section of stand removed.
061209standprime1.JPG

Cutting 4 inches off.
061209standprime2.JPG

First piece 4 inches shorter, primed and put back in place.
061209standprime3.JPG

2 sections in complete. You can see where I have wood blocks. I had to move them around everytime I took a section out.
061209standprime4.JPG

Center section back in.
061209standprime6.JPG

Stand shorter and primed. Now I have to lower the top back down.
061209standprime7.JPG

And, Finally done. That was a lot of work for 4 inches.

061209standprime8.JPG

Hopefully tomorrow will be more interesting for all of us:D

BarbMazz

I've been following along. Too bad about the setback, but way better now than even a little bit later, right?

Fabulous. Just fabulous. Best of luck to you as you go on.

AndtheBonus

I've been following along. Too bad about the setback, but way better now than even a little bit later, right?

Fabulous. Just fabulous. Best of luck to you as you go on.

You took the words right out of my mouth! It is def better to do it the way you want to now then realize you don't like it when its all set up!

MattShack

I anticipated that I wouldn't get it right the first time :) That's why I didn't really permenantly attach anything. But the stand was the last thing I thought I would change.

MattShack

Today, I took the back and side wall panels apart and used epoxy to glue everything together. I took a few step by step pictures to show what I did.

I traced where the framing was on the back of the fist layer of plywood.

061309walls1.JPG

Next, I applied epoxy to the framing and the back of the plywood. I let the epoxy sit for a few minutes to soak into the wood, then I coated each piece again until it stopped soaking into the wood and kept the "wet look".

061309walls2.JPG

061309walls3.JPG

I attached the first piece of plywood to the framing and did the same thing to each piece of plywood making sure to have some epoxy on the surface after it stopped soaking into the wood. I didn't want a "dry joint" in the wood.

061309walls4.JPG

061309walls5.JPG

Completed side panel.

061309walls6.JPG

I did the samething for the other side and back panel. The front panel is going to have to be built in place because of the way it is constructed. I still have to fill in over the screws with thickened epoxy.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM

Hey Matt, looks like a good time had by all lol! I cruised some of the glass calculators and a minimum safety factor is 3/4'' , rated at 2.5 x for saftey .945 or 1'' is the closer thickness. are you planning a ledge to set it on? from reading its going to be up off the base somewhat, it will slip and tear the silicone without one, my concern on a 10' length of glass is the torque and bowing and the natural give that plywood has especially with heat and moisture. A fantastic build for sure and I hope your in a termite free zone lol, all the best!

MattShack

Hey Matt, looks like a good time had by all lol! I cruised some of the glass calculators and a minimum safety factor is 3/4'' , rated at 2.5 x for saftey .945 or 1'' is the closer thickness. are you planning a ledge to set it on? from reading its going to be up off the base somewhat, it will slip and tear the silicone without one, my concern on a 10' length of glass is the torque and bowing and the natural give that plywood has especially with heat and moisture. A fantastic build for sure and I hope your in a termite free zone lol, all the best!

I've seen that calculator. I'm not sure what they're basing that on. I've seen other calculators that say 1/2". I checked into it extensively and 1/2" is supposed to be good enough. I have driven a few place to look at tanks like this before I started this one, and the one's I've seen had 1/2". I was going to go with 3/4" but was basically talked out of, I was told it would be a waste of money. If it breaks, then I'll just order 3/4 and learn my lesson (after I clean up the water) :LOL: I'm not leaving the support up to the plywood alone. I'm going to put steel in also.

The glass will be sitting on a base. I'm not going to rely on the silicone to hold it in place. I haven't gotten that far yet, but I plan to post pics to show how the glass will sit before it is installed.

MattShack

sasquatch,

I think I see why the glass calculator says 3/4". It is calculating based on glass being "simply supported on all four EDGES". The plywood tanks have a lip that supports the glass from the face. In my case, I will have 3" all the way around supported.

Willie McDaries

sasquatch,

I think I see why the glass calculator says 3/4". It is calculating based on glass being "simply supported on all four EDGES". The plywood tanks have a lip that supports the glass from the face. In my case, I will have 3" all the way around supported.

the garf calc says I needed 3/8" for my tank,the people that I ordered from suggested 1/2",but they weren't taking into account the 2" frame around the glass :D

MattShack

the garf calc says I needed 3/8" for my tank,the people that I ordered from suggested 1/2",but they weren't taking into account the 2" frame around the glass :D

The GARF calc said 1/2" for mine. 1/2" for up to 36" tall. What size did you end up going with?