Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Cut access above tank.

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frankie

RS STAFF
Re: 1000+ Gallon Display Plywood / Fiberglass Build

Looks great. You should have no trouble with sitting a tank that big on that stand. Well done.
I to am curious about the glass thickness and cost if you don't mind.
Will you be building this tank in the house? I would suggest not doing that for fume reasons and air quality.

MattShack

Matt,
this is hind site and a builder, a truss system is stronger and cheaper unless you need the space under neath, as I said hind site, but you got me going to start a new project!!!!!!!! Just salt is getting so $$$$$$$$ I lived in Concord MS for a year, wher are you to it?

I put 2"x8" joist on top, going to post pics in a min. I thought about the truss, but took the easy way out. :yup:

Ridgeland is just north of Jackson. About 200 miles from Concord.

I'm not looking forward to buying all that salt. If I could just figure out how to make DIY salt............

MattShack

1ofmanynguyens and Frankie

The glass is 1/2" Starphire. Got it from glasscages.com. It was $550 delivered. I had to meet them to pick it up, but I got lucky. They were passing through about a mile from my house.

I have to build it in the house. It won't fit through the door. I would have to take a wall out of the house to get it in and my wife put the brakes on that.

I thought about the fumes, but that part of the house can be closed off from the rest of the house and has 2 exterior doors. I plan on closing the interior doors and taping plastic over them, then opening the 2 exterior doors with fans. I hope it won't be too bad, but the narrowest point is 60".

Im sure you have thought about this but will that thickness of glass hold that much pressure? And be careful with the fumes.. i was working with silicone outside and i got a headache from the intense fumes.

MattShack

The "studs" on the stand are 2"x4", 12" on center. The joist are 2"x8" also 12" on center. The joist line up and sit directly over the 2"x4" studs.

060609%20Stand%20Topframe2.JPG

060609%20Stand%20Topframe1.JPG

MattShack

Im sure you have thought about this but will that thickness of glass hold that much pressure? And be careful with the fumes.. i was working with silicone outside and i got a headache from the intense fumes.

The glass thickness was one of the hardest thing for me to figure out. I was leaning towards 3/4", but I've looked at large tanks with 1/2" and talked to several people. Everyone says 1/2" is enough. GARF's website say 1/2" can be used up to 36" in height. My tank will be 40" tall, but the glass will be elevated from the bottom so you can't see the sand edge. It's supposed to work. I hope everyone was right.:fingerx:

The glass thickness was one of the hardest thing for me to figure out. I was leaning towards 3/4", but I've looked at large tanks with 1/2" and talked to several people. Everyone says 1/2" is enough. GARF's website say 1/2" can be used up to 36" in height. My tank will be 40" tall, but the glass will be elevated from the bottom so you can't see the sand edge. It's supposed to work. I hope everyone was right.:fingerx:

Me too because if it doesnt... Ridgeland, MS will have a new mini ocean. :drown:

MattShack

just curious...whats your livestock plans?

I have a good number of sps corals, a few lps, and a few softies. Currently I have 1 regal tang, 1 yellow tang, 2 gsm, 2 engineer gobies, 4 chromis, 1 six line wrasse, 1 mandarin, and in two other tanks, a mated pair of black clowns, and a mated pair of ocellaris. I'm going to put all, except the mated black clowns and orange clowns. I want to add several tangs, particularly a unicorn tang. Probably add several more yellow tangs. I can't tell you for sure because I change my mind too much. :yup: So, mostly tangs.. haha..

i figured that you could use quite a bit more then that lol. Nothing substantially bigger? i geuss im too much of a n00b, but cant you run some bigger fish in their too?

barbianj

That's a big upgrade, 75 to 1,000!

Do you have to do any bracing for the floor, or is your house on a slab?

MattShack

That's a big upgrade, 75 to 1,000!

Do you have to do any bracing for the floor, or is your house on a slab?

House is on a slab and if the house is built like it is supposed to be, there shoud be a footing running under the tank.

premilove

wow that is amazing. what are you doing for filtration? i saw that no one asked! i think that is one hell of a good question..also, lighting, and other equipment if you do not mind sharing!

MattShack

wow that is amazing. what are you doing for filtration? i saw that no one asked! i think that is one hell of a good question..also, lighting, and other equipment if you do not mind sharing!

I don't mind any questions or suggestions.

Beside biological filtration, I'll have a skimmer running ozone (posibly DIY skimmer), refugium and occasional filter socks. I've had good luck with this set up for a while.

Lighting will be metal halide using Lumen Bright reflectors and probalby ReefLux lamps, either 400w, 250w, or a combination. Not 100% sure yet, the Lumen Brights is the only thing I've definitely settled on with the lighting. Also, will have T5HO supplement. Thought about really rocking the boat and going 100% T5's but after figuring the wattage, the metal halides are actually more efficient on this size tank.

Pumps will be a combination of Reeflo pumps. Probably going to use one Hammerhead for closed loop if I can get my DIY wavemaker to work like I want. If it don't, probably two Hammerheads with OM 4ways. Probably a Barracuda or a Dart for return from the sump.

Will have fans on humidistat and thermostat to control temp and humidity in fish room. No chiller planned right now. If I need a chiller, it will be DIY. I plan on installing the plumbing for it during the build just in case.

DrHank

Just caught up with your build. It's quite a project. I wish you the best.

barbianj

Thought about really rocking the boat and going 100% T5's but after figuring the wattage, the metal halides are actually more efficient on this size tank.

Does that take into account the heat generated from the MH? I think if you had to start running a chiller, the power consumption would be in favor of the T5's, but you can always decide more T5's or chiller when the time comes.

What type of overflow will you be using?