Search results

1. MidWest Frags

Black coral ID

It is a Tubastrea micrantha or Black Sun Coral
  2. MidWest Frags

My package of coral frags just arrived..now what?

Are the bags at all cold? or are they room temperature? If they came in cold it would be much more important to get them in the tank. Matt
  3. MidWest Frags

My package of coral frags just arrived..now what?

The best thing to do would be to get them into the tank ASAP. But depending on what kind of frags they are, zoas, softies mushrooms, i would say that they can stay in the bag for another 2 1/2 hours if they are kept at the proper temperature. But I would recommend getting them home. Matt
  4. MidWest Frags

sps, zoas, palys, and lps

The encrusting one appears to be an encrusting Pavona.
  5. MidWest Frags

can someone please help with a frag tank setup-up!!!!

Hey, The idea of pumping in and out of the tank has been thought of by many but will never work. Even if you get the exact same pump they may have one or two GPH difference in the amount of water they push, therefore results in flooding or draining your tank. Is the bottom of the frag tank...
  6. MidWest Frags

Help once more

Sometimes polyps just close for a day or two. If the closed polyps have some color like pink, blue, purple, beige, gray and are plump, the zoa is alive and well. Black, dark brown and shriveled is not good.
  7. MidWest Frags

montipora bleaching while others are fine?

Montipora's, especially digitata's are more susceptable to salinity changes than most SPS. Just a thought. Also I would get a magnifying glass and closely check out the dying edge of the Cap. The nudis are bright white and sometimes blend in with the edge.
  8. MidWest Frags

March '08 Photo Contest VOTING!

Congrats Matt! You really have a talent there.
  9. MidWest Frags

Powder Blue and Achilles Tang

Thank you for sharing your experience Dr. Hank - and here I was concerned that the Powder Blue would hurt the Achilles. I think we'll leave well enough alone.
  10. MidWest Frags

Powder Blue and Achilles Tang

Has anyone kept a powder blue and and achilles in the same tank? We have a 210 that currently houses a Red Sea Sailfin, Achilles, Chevron and a Purple Tang. LFS has a beautiful powder blue that he's had for a month - is eating well and looks very healthy. Was curious if there would be an...
  11. MidWest Frags

Tank Temps

78 - 80 year round, day & night
  12. MidWest Frags

Moving an aquarium

ronfox - The real issue is how quickly can you set the tank back up. Think through the project before you take the tank down. Think about the new tank placement, power, ro water/salt and have all that decided before you take the tank down. Lynn is correct as far as moving the corals and rock...
  13. MidWest Frags

WTB Used ASM G1X - G2 Skimmer, 36 - 48" Aqualight Pro Hood

We just pulled out a G-2 and installed a G-3 in it's place. It has the gate valve mod. Excellent condition, no cracks with usual algae buildup. Used for about a year and a half. I'll take a look at the Sedra impellar tomorrow. Still interested?
  14. MidWest Frags

The 90 gallon Road Trip

So Matt ... it's been many days since your last post. Anything new?
  15. MidWest Frags

My Never-ending Calcium Problem

Looks like micro bubbles. Some are so small that they hang and actually drop in the tank or stay suspended. They attach to rocks or coral also.
  16. MidWest Frags

Skimmer???

Size of tank is a biggie. How do you feed? What corals dominate your tank? Do you have a sump? Many skimmers out there at reasonable prices. We just need to know a few details.
  17. MidWest Frags

The 200+ Club

Wow double post sorry!
  18. MidWest Frags

The 200+ Club

Heres one he took! There are more photos in my gallery too.