Skimmer???

Nemo12

It turns out my skimmer is leaking So I need a new one. Any recommendation for a hang on tank skimmer?

lcstorc

How big of a tank.
My favorite is the Aqua C Remora or the Remora Pro depending on tank size.

Size of tank is a biggie. How do you feed? What corals dominate your tank?
Do you have a sump? Many skimmers out there at reasonable prices. We just need to know a few details.

Nemo12

46 gallons no sump just live rock and fish. Hoping for a skimmer I can run to store and get I can only find aqua C remora online.

Intranick

anybody know a good place to pick up a remora?

Otherwise, What about the corallife ones? those I can get -locally- the remora I cant

Melanie

Stay away from the Prism skimmer as well.

Although I haven't tried the Remora, I hear only great things. If you don't want to buy on-line then check Craig's List and the newspaper and your local reef club.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I have to counter that remark. I had a prism pro that worked great on my 30 gal. clown breeding tank in NY. that pulled tons of junk out. It is now running on a neighbors tank who couldn't afford a skimmer and that tank has cleaned up pretty good.
I will say that the Remora Pro is the way to go! (hey that rhymed!)

Intranick

Although I haven't tried the Remora, I hear only great things. If you don't want to buy on-line then check Craig's List and the newspaper and your local reef club.

I prefer to buy online, I just dont know a reputable online store that has one..

prow

i like reefgeek.com to buy most of my dry goods. marinedepot.com is good also. aswell as drsfostersmith.com. any of those are good online retailers.

Intranick

i like reefgeek.com to buy most of my dry goods. marinedepot.com is good also. aswell as drsfostersmith.com. any of those are good online retailers.

yeah i -just- checked, reefgeek carries it, drsfostersmith does not, havn't ordered from marinedepot yet.

BoomerD

yeah i -just- checked, reefgeek carries it, drsfostersmith does not, havn't ordered from marinedepot yet.

IME, Marine Depot is one of the most reputable on-line stores around...

Unfortunately, you're not gonna find a screamin deal on the Remoras, unless you compare the on-line prices to one of the LFS that happen to sell them...then you might see quite a deal...

Probably gonna pay somewhere around $225 for a Remora Pro with the Mag-Drive pump...DO NOT buy one with a Rio pump. Those have killed a LOT of tanks over the years.

AquaC Remora Pro Protein Skimmer With Mag-Drive 3 Pump (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Protein Skimmers > Hang On > Spray Injection )

(heh-heh...looks like my price guess was pretty close!)

Also, IMO, the drain fitting is not worth spending the $$ on. The collection tube inside the collection cup has to be cleaned periodically or the skimmer quits working anyway, and it only takes a couple of minutes to clean the cup/tube.