Powder Blue and Achilles Tang

Has anyone kept a powder blue and and achilles in the same tank? We have a 210 that currently houses a Red Sea Sailfin, Achilles, Chevron and a Purple Tang. LFS has a beautiful powder blue that he's had for a month - is eating well and looks very healthy.

Was curious if there would be an issue with the Achilles since they are from the same family. I would not want to risk the Achilles.

Of course, we would quarantine.

Thanks for any advice -

DrHank

You are already overloaded with tangs. Probably no problem yet because the fish are young. As they get older and larger they get more aggressive.

Back in the 80's I was inexperienced and did put an Achilles together with a Powder Blue. I thought that having 3 tangs in a 75 gallon would be OK. I made sure that the Achilles was smaller and added the Powder Blue last. It was a disaster. The Achilles tore into the Powder Blue as soon as the fish was released. Hurt him so bad that even though I got him out I couldn't save him.

About 2 days later, the Achilles started to come down with ick (big time). To make a long story short I lost most of my fish within 2 weeks.

Personally, I think you've got too many tangs already. I wouldn't recommend adding the Powder Blue (or any other Tang for that matter). Keep a close eye on those that you currently have and be aware that although they are fine together now, that may not be the case as they mature. Good Luck.

Thank you for sharing your experience Dr. Hank - and here I was concerned that the Powder Blue would hurt the Achilles. I think we'll leave well enough alone.

DrHank

I think a wise decision. There are a lot of beautiful fish other than tangs. I made the mistake once of mixing different members of the Acanthurus family. I'll never make that mistake again.

I've also known folks who had two or three tangs in the same tank for years until one day one turned on the other. Tangs can be nasty and they are unpredictable.

kimoy

I used to ahve them in my tank together with a yellow, unicorn and a mimic and they were all fine. I added the achiles and the powder blue at the same time though. I miss those fish, they outgrow the tank so they now reside on a bigger tank. but I still have this much tang in my tank.