Tank Temps

fishnu

Does anyone let their tank temps vary like this over the course of the year?

watertemp.gif

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I keep mine stable at (or that's my attempt) 78-79 24/7 and 365 days per year. I have heard of others going with a "annual cycle" on the tank temp but I don't bother with that. At least I haven't yet.

hma

I do not change the temperature however my IKS aquarium computer. :away: In the winter 25°C/77°F in the summer 28°C/82.5°F. in addition I use a night-time heating reduction of 1°C :snshne:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Why the nighttime reduction Heinz? Is this to more accurately simulate night time cooling?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Yes, I change the temp of my tank depending on the seasons.

Heinze - I too am interested in why you do the nightly 1 deg drop.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Doni do you change it because you want more "Realism" or just because "you can"? :D

I do it mostly for realism but also to err on the side of conveniece (Keeping the tank at 77 during the winter months is much easier than trying to keep a constant 80-82)

I am contemplating allowing my controller to completely govern the temp (75-82) via the season table.

hma

my IKS offers this option to me and uses it only for one reason. The metabolismus of the animals is accustomed to it, I can the variation in temperature realize, therefore I do it. Fish do not sleep at night, but its metabolismus is clearly slowed down in the nighttime. This very natural day/night temperature difference supports that.

michael_cb_125

In the spring my tank temp, is around 79. Then it progresses to 82 durring the summer, and falls to 78 in the winter. I like how it does this, but it is partially because I like in a partially insulated 100 year old farm house.

DrHank

I would think only those in the southern hemisphere. I's about 6 months out of phase for all of us. It seems that it would make our chillers go crazy in our summer. The electric company would probably recommend that we do.

fishnu

I was not suggesting maintaing a Southern Hemisphere cycle....only whether you maintain a cycle. I was unsure whether you tried to maintain +/- 1 degree or if you varied with the seasons. I guess our breezy houses do that for us!.

If I have to wear a sweater, so will my fish.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
On My tank(s) I like to maintain a +/-1 degree all the time. It's a good goal to have :)

when you get the sweaters on your fish will you take some pics? I want to see that :)

prow

my Aqua Jr controller does the seasonal temps, 78ish winter 81ish summer and it also adjusts the photoperiod as well.

CATALYST

I set my heater/chiller at 78 and hope for the best. It fluctuates with the season only because I'm too cheap to heat and cool the whole house.