Search results

1. JT101

Help! Emergency (i think) - need new sump pump asap!!!!

All is well (sorry for the late reply) and thanks to all. I'm all up & running with a SUPER QUIET Deep Blue Triton 4 pump. Can't tell if the darned thing is on unless I put my ear down low near the bottom of the tank stand with the doors open....! John
  2. JT101

coralife mini aqualight t5 (It's only 11 inches!!!)

I recently bought one of these to put over the middle compartment (fuge part) of an Aqueon ProFlex Model 3. Unfortunately, "a little bird" just told me that it's way underpowered. It's only 12W, but I don't know what I really need. I LOVE the fit/form of the thing, it fits PERFECTLY over...
  3. JT101

I just wanted to make sure it would be OK because there's NO salt in the tank OR the sump, just 100% pure RO/DI and shallow sand bed. I guess even another 5 days would be OK?
  4. JT101

Help! I just finished setting up my new 46 gallon tank with a Aqueon Pro-Flex Model 3 Sump. Sand and water in the tank, RO/DI water, sump all filled but NO salt yet (just has fresh RO/DI in both). Well, wouldn't you know but my return pump is defective and VERY noisy (Danner Model 5 500GPH)...
  5. JT101

Happy BDAY JT101!!!

Thanks everyone!
  6. JT101

What size sump?

Hello all, I recently got a 46g bowfront tank that I'm going to set up and gradually transfer over livestock from my 25g AP24 into. The recommended sump that the LFS tried to offer (an ESHOPP's refugium/sump combo) is smaller than the largest one I can fit in the bottom of the stand. Is it...
  7. JT101

Starting a new tank

Thanks Everyone! I am going to err on the super-cautious side and transfer my two clowns, my leather, plate coral and bubble coral ONLY. Everything else will go into the trash. I'm worried about "cooking" my LR - I'd rather just start with new LR. Thanks again. John
  8. JT101

I still don't understand refugiums...!

Sorry gang, but here I go again...! To this day I still don't understand how a refugium can sort of "force" all the microalgae and macroalgae growth to grow inside IT, and magically keep the display tank clear. I mean, how does the tank "know" not to allow any HA to grow in the display...
  9. JT101

Starting a new tank

Thanks Dion. I have been told so many things about what I am attempting to do. One camp says, as you do, that putting my existing stuff into a new tank will not STOP me from getting MORE HA than the existing tank already has, and that it might happen even with pristine LR and sand. The OTHER...
  10. JT101

Starting a new tank

Thanks for the fast response. I was thinking about how I was going to move things from one tank to another and I realized that I have no choice but set-up the new tank where the old one is FIRST. However, there is one thing I neglected to mention: the AP24 has some hair algae I have been...
  11. JT101

Starting a new tank

Hello all, I have an AquaPod AP24 that was established June 2007. I just came across a 46 gallon bowfront tank that I'm interested in puchasing from an LFS. The new tank setup has provisions for a refugium (which I never had with the AP24) as well as a decent skimmer (my NanoCustoms skimmer...
  12. JT101

Almost ready to throw in the towel

Hi Eric, Thanks for the info, here are some points I want to make: 1. I scrubbed the rock in clean ASW, not fresh. 2. I used to run the DE filter every two months, when the tank was new, never had a problem with it until about 7 months ago so I didn't think the DE filter had anything to...
  13. JT101

Almost ready to throw in the towel

Hello All, I'm going on 3 years and and 3 months with my AP24. I had a gradual hair algae outbreak about 7 months ago and I have been battling it ever since. I have taken to scrub each and every rock bare with a brush, then running a diatom filter in the tank, THEN doing 3 massive 40% WC in...
  14. JT101

I think cyano can be CURED!

Not just controlled, CURED!!! I used Chemi Clean about 2 weeks ago and there hasn't been a TRACE of ANY red slime, cyano or any other type of red algae since the treatment. I know that it has been said that it can come back even after a treatment, but I have to think that one of the two...
  15. JT101

Red and Hair Algae taking over...slowly...

Hi Lynn, I've been feeding the following frozen foods for almost 3 years: Marine Cuisine Mysis shrimp Cyclop-Eez John
  16. JT101

Confused about Red Slime/Cyano origin

Hi Lynne, Thanks for your input. Unfortunately (and please don't take this the wrong way) but I am completely in disagreement with the "lack of flow" theory. I have seen in my own tank, and in several others, that cyano will grow even directly in the flow of a PH. In fact, some areas in my...
  17. JT101

Confused about Red Slime/Cyano origin

Hello all, I was at my wits end battling the dreaded cyanobacter in my AP24. I tried scrubbing the rock while running a DE filter for 2 days (I did this at least 2x), practically starving my fish and corals of food and light, siphoning all the substrate etc. Every time I would do this, the...
  18. JT101

Need a new skimmer pump ASAP!!!

Hi Tom, That link doesn't work, and I recall even when it did they only sold skimmer pumps for their most recent skimmers which don't fit mine... Thanks in any case. John
  19. JT101

Need a new skimmer pump ASAP!!!

HELP - PLEASE :surrender: I have a Sapphire Aquatics AP24 skimmer. This is one of the earlier versions that sints completely inside the back chamber of the CurrentUSA AquaPod 24. The pump is the one that has the little grey slide switch to control the bubble intensity. Due to...
  20. JT101

Red and Hair Algae taking over...slowly...

Sorry, one more :o : How "durable" are green star polyps? I mean, how far gone has anyone ever seen a polyp "mat" get before it comes back due to improving conditions? Mine look pretty far gone; there used to be hundreds of polyps on the main mat but now only about a dozen or so, because...