Starting a new tank

JT101

Hello all,

I have an AquaPod AP24 that was established June 2007. I just came across a 46 gallon bowfront tank that I'm interested in puchasing from an LFS. The new tank setup has provisions for a refugium (which I never had with the AP24) as well as a decent skimmer (my NanoCustoms skimmer died months ago and i've been going 'skimmerless' ever since).

My question is how do I establish the new tank, since it's going to be in the same exact place the AP24 is right now? I would imagine that my only options are to basically give away all my livestockything I have (rather than kill anything), taking down the AP24, move it away, set up the 46 gal and do the usual multi-week establishment period. Is there any other option? I don't have room for both tanks in the same area (corner of a living room). Thanks for any help!

John

Midnight

you should not have a long establishment unless your adding a bunch more rock and stuff. I just moved from a 75 to a 120 but didn't add anything other than new sand and there was no cycle at all.

JT101

you should not have a long establishment unless your adding a bunch more rock and stuff. I just moved from a 75 to a 120 but didn't add anything other than new sand and there was no cycle at all.

Thanks for the fast response.

I was thinking about how I was going to move things from one tank to another and I realized that I have no choice but set-up the new tank where the old one is FIRST. However, there is one thing I neglected to mention: the AP24 has some hair algae I have been battling since my skimmer went down. So, I really can't move any LR over, because I fear like death the possibility of transferring some HA into the new tank. SO, I think all I can move is a few "clean" corals and my remaining 2 clowns ONCE THE TANK IS ESTABLISHED. This is still the issue - how do I establish one tank (the new tank) where the OLD one is? I think I have no choice but to somehow move the old one over a little bit - I will have to live with 2 tanks in the L/R for a while. I guess I could drain 90% of the water in the AP24, quickly slide the whole tank/stand over, put the same water back in and then move the new 46g w/cabinet into the desired location and start filling it with water. But this means I will probably have a long cycle on the 46g since I can't move any LR over.

Would it be "safe" to put some of the sand from the 24g into the 46g to kick-start the cycle or should I just let the new LR I am planning to put in the 46g do its thing? Also, if I DO transfer some sand, should this go into the tank or into the refugium?

Thanks again
John

nos2074

Jus move everything over to the new tank. Add more sand. Add some base rock now or later, it wont cause a cycle.

Your HA problem has nothing to do with switching the tanks. Not putting those rocks in the new tank wont stop you from getting HA in it. Jus cut down your import of nutrients and up your export and you won't have a problem.

JT101

Jus move everything over to the new tank. Add more sand. Add some base rock now or later, it wont cause a cycle.

Your HA problem has nothing to do with switching the tanks. Not putting those rocks in the new tank wont stop you from getting HA in it. Jus cut down your import of nutrients and up your export and you won't have a problem.

Thanks Dion. I have been told so many things about what I am attempting to do. One camp says, as you do, that putting my existing stuff into a new tank will not STOP me from getting MORE HA than the existing tank already has, and that it might happen even with pristine LR and sand. The OTHER camp claims that you should do everything in your powerr to NOT introduce ANY HA into a new tank - in other words "don't try to kill it once started - prevent it in the first place". Both sides seem so convincing but I guess with the new tank I have several things working for me:

1. It will have LED lighting so it will run cooler, which I was told keeps HA down a little bit.
2. It will have a refugium, something my AP24 NEVER had, and:
3. It will have a decent skimmer, something I used to have but no longer do.

I'm close to taking the plunge - any day now...!!!

Thanks
John

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
When you move a tank any distance say from the LFS or your home you are going to have die off which will cause the tank to cycle, it may or may not be a long cycle but anything you add or change in your tank has an effect that often results in a mini cycle if nothing more.

You may consider cooking the rock you currently have to kill of the hair algae, I find it's is easier to prevent then control and exterminate once it's introduced.

Everyone has different way about doing thing so take what you will from everyone and follow your instinct.

JT101

Thanks Everyone!

I am going to err on the super-cautious side and transfer my two clowns, my leather, plate coral and bubble coral ONLY. Everything else will go into the trash. I'm worried about "cooking" my LR - I'd rather just start with new LR.

Thanks again.
John