Search results

1. woolfe

WTB 250 or 300 gal skimmer

I'm looking for an in sump skimmer rated for at least 250 gallons. I only have about $200. to spend on this. If anyone has one PM me please. My zip is 02777 and shipping can bring my budget up to around $250...... I know someone must have something just sitting in your garage or basement that I...
  2. woolfe

Anyone have any idea what these are?

Hello all. I came home from work tonight to find this huge cluster of what appears to be some type of eggs atteached to my yellow star polyp colony. I shut off two power heads to take the pictures and the polyps closed. Before that all the polyps were fully open. In my tank I have a hippo tang...
  3. woolfe

What's your favorite fish food?

I'm taking over ordering the fish food at the LFS where I work. So I thought I would pick the brains of the people on this board to help my decision on what lines to carry. I'm getting rid of Tetra because of all the binding agents in it. But Hikari, Ocean Nutrition, and nutrafin max are some of...
  4. woolfe

Skimmer options

Hello all, I have a question. We have a 200 + gallon system at the LFS where I work. The sump area isn't high enough to install a good skimmer. Are there any good skimmers we could use without a sump setup for it to sit in? I'm thinking there must be, but I don't know what to search for...
  5. woolfe

lobster trapping

I have a purple lobster in my tank I've been trying to catch. I've tried a couple of different trap doors on a 3" pvc pipe. My last attempt was a 1 liter soda bottle cut and put into the pvc to form a kind of cone. I'll attach a pic. I baited it with a whole squid! It didn't work. Does anyone...
  6. woolfe

What's he doing? Splitting or ?

My toadstool looked like it was dying a few weeks ago. It was all closed up and looking like crap. I left it alone because it wasn't disintergrating or anything. Now it looks ok, opened back up, and has a hole in the foot. Is it splitting? Here are a couple of pics.... Thanks
  7. woolfe

Free flourescent fixtures - FREE

I'm in the process of upgrading the lighting at the LFS I work for & am throwing away a lot of lighting fixtures. They're 48" flourscent fixtures with 120 V, 60 Hertz ballasts. They can accomidate up to two 40 W flourscent tubes. They're not pretty but could be mounted in a hood for fresh water...
  8. woolfe

Shrimp, Cleaners or ?

About a month/six weeks ago I noticed a TON of baby shrimp in my refugium. My two cleaners hang out near the PH that pumps up to it. Is it possible for them to have released the eggs, and the eggs to have hatched unharmed once they were in there? I've been feeding them cyclops and some micro...
  9. woolfe

Sg won't rise

Hello all, I haven't been on here for quite some time. I'm happy to say all is well now. I have a question. I just started a part time job in a pet store that's trying to get into selling marine fish. They have a 200 gal system. I'm not sure of the name of the system. I only worked two day so...
  10. woolfe

OT: Driving from MA to FL

Hi everyone. Has anyone driven down through Florida or live there? I'm leaving this afternoon for cape coral and coming from MA. A couple of us are having a disagreement on the best route to take. At some point we need to get from 95 over to 75. Is the best route to go by 4 or 10? Thanks for any...
  11. woolfe

Beautiful Yuma

eBay: Orange/Green Sunset Ricordea Yuma * Live Coral (item 120125455393 end time Jun-01-07 18:11:00 PDT) I want one of these so bad. The last auction I watched ended with the final price being around $270. I can't pay that much for one polyp but it is awesome looking.
  12. woolfe

Dendro's

Here's a site with awesome deals on Dendro's and Duncan's. These corals go for $100. bucks a head at my LFS. I want to get a few of the dendro's but can't find much info on them. Anyone have any experience with them?
  13. woolfe

New camera, photo contest!!

I got my new camera last week. It's a Nikon D50 and I've been taking pictures of everything. Last month the photo contest was posted on the 11th. I've been waiting and checking all day waiting for the subject for June. Doni pllllleeeeease......... I'll owe you big! :)
  14. woolfe

Wild pods???

So today was the first really nice day here in MA. It got up to 80 so I decided to go for a walk on the beach. It was low tide and as I always do I flipped over a few rocks to see what was there. Pods were jumping everywhere. I collected about 30 of them and set up a little 5 gal rubbermaid tote...
  15. woolfe

puffer question

A friend of mine did a really dumb thing. He went and bought a puffer last night because "it's so cute". Well his tank is only a 20g, he has peaceful fish and a bunch of snails, hermit crabs, flame scallops and a fire shrimp that he just loves. He called me and told me about it this morning...
  16. woolfe

Light fell into the refugium!

Hello, I got home from work yesterday & my fuge light was in the tank buzzing. In a panic I grabbed it, got shocked :bouncebox and finally unplugged it. Now here's a big surprise.....it doesn't work. I don't want to spend money on new bulbs if the light is ruined and they blow out as soon...
  17. woolfe

Plate Coral Dying help!!

My jawfish partially covered my plate coral with sand and now it's dying. I moved it up high on the rocks for now. Is there anything else I can do for it? :help:
  18. woolfe

Can anyone ID this for me?

I picked this coral up the other day. The lady at the LFS said it was a "young coral" I don't think she was right.....I can't seem to find pics of it anywhere.
  19. woolfe

My Maroons

I finally got my pair of maroons ready for their debut. I'm expecting great things from them. For those of you who know the light green anemone is the "rainbow anemone"
  20. woolfe

Red Algae everywhere

For the past couple of weeks I've had an ongoing problem with red algae in my refugium. I've increased the flow slightly, vaccumed most of it out, and started rinsing the mysis before feeding it to the seahorses that live in there. I added a bunch more snails and a sand sifting cucumber. It just...