Light fell into the refugium!

woolfe

Hello,

I got home from work yesterday & my fuge light was in the tank buzzing. In a panic I grabbed it, got shocked :bouncebox and finally unplugged it. Now here's a big surprise.....it doesn't work. I don't want to spend money on new bulbs if the light is ruined and they blow out as soon as I turn it on. I did take the whole thing apart and dried it as best as I could. I couldn't get to the ballast though. It's built into the metal housing and you can't get to it without cutting the light apart. Does anyone know if it's possible to save this light? Has this happened to anyone else? I just know it was my freakin' cats! I love them but I have to tell you their pushing their luck! :guns:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Wow, this just happened to DaBird and Murkywaters, big impact on the water quality, ill try and bring up the thread for you.waterchanges and carbon may be in order. This may seem strange but try and rinse everything with fresh water to get the salt out, let it drain real good and then use a blow dryer.Steve

woolfe

I'll add the carbon as soon as I get home. I've never used it before where's the best place to put it? Should I put it right into the fuge where the light incident happened or in the sump where it will get the most circulation? Everything looked ok last night & this morning but I don't want to take any chances. My water wasn't cloudy at all. I'm hopeing it wasn't in there too long.

bluespotjawfish

I would put the activated carbon in an area that has flow (the sump). Or put it in both locations. Most likely, by the time you get home there will either be a big problem (sad looking corals, cloudy tank), or you may have gotten lucky.

murkywaters

Darn Woolfe, I'm sorry to hear that. It caused us big problems. We filtered the tank with something called a hiatt system to get everything out of the tank , did frequent water changes and used a filter sock that we changed often. We lost acros, milli, montes, fire shrimp, and more. there is a list in the thread Steve left you a link for. I hope you have better luck than we did although we didn't lose everything so we feel blessed. Keep us posted please

woolfe

Thanks for all your concern. My green torch looks really bad! Everything else looks ok except most of my xenia is closed up. I put the carbon into the sump and the refugeium. Hopefully, everything will be ok.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Bummer man! I'm just glad we didn't loose you! Don't ever just reach in and grab an electrical unit when it falls in the water! Pull the plug first.

DaBird

I would do a massave water change, like 40% to start...Then more at 20% till you've changed at least 100% of your water, sorry for your troubles and I hope that you are lucky and don't even have a hic-up...Danny

KodiakBear

Bummer man! I'm just glad we didn't loose you! Don't ever just reach in and grab an electrical unit when it falls in the water! Pull the plug first.

Better yet, don't go near the tank! Trip the breaker instead. I have mine marked really big with "fish room breaker" Just in case. Really glad you're safe though!

KodiakBear

You have a fish ROOM? Lucky!

well, not really. It was a 3rd bedroom when I bought the house, then turned it into the 'office' with the addition of hardwood flooring, a computer, and a couple book shelves... Little by little the fish tank is taking over, so it is now just 'the fish room'

woolfe

I know, but I paniced! LOL

Except for 1/2 of my green torch everything seems to have made it. WHEW!.... I did three 30% WC's over the past week. I need to get an RO/DI unit. Lugging all that water is getting to be a bit much. :willis:

Sorry I haven't been on here much so I didn't see this until today.