puffer question

woolfe

A friend of mine did a really dumb thing. He went and bought a puffer last night because "it's so cute". Well his tank is only a 20g, he has peaceful fish and a bunch of snails, hermit crabs, flame scallops and a fire shrimp that he just loves. He called me and told me about it this morning. After explaining to him that he couldn't leave any of his cleaners in there unless he wanted them to be food. I told him he should take it back to the store. He called and they said sales are final and the only way he can get his money back is if it died! So I bought it from him. I put him in my 30g maroon tank for now. I plan on getting a 7' predator tank within a year or so. I think he'll be alright in there until then.... WIll he? My question is he has a spot on his side, it doesn't look too bad yet. Is there any shrimp he won't eat and will allow to clean him? I haven't read too much about him yet and have never seen one like him in the store. It was labeled as a short nosed puffer but in looking around at some pics I think he's a striped dog face. Any info. anyone could pass along to me about caring for this guy would be greatly appriciated. I'll go see if I can get a good shot of the spot right now & post it in a few minutes.

woolfe

Here he is.

Attachments

• puffer 011a.jpg
    puffer 011a.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 38
  • puffer 012.jpg
    puffer 012.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 38
  • puffer 014.jpg
    puffer 014.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 38

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Woolfe, from what I remember on puffers.Quarantine, they are famous for Ich and intestinal worms, the worms claim more puffers than anything, they get HUGE and worst of all, they are irresistibly cute and have great personality, best of luck! Steve

woolfe

hmmm I don't have a qt tank. If I leave him there until tomorrow and he has something will it pass on to my maroons that fast? He looks healthy, swiming around, eating very well, and that spot has faded since I posted earlier. I think it's just a blemish in his coloration that got dark for some reason.

murkywaters

I would love to have a puffer. They are as irresistable as Tribbles. But I'm resisting after I learned a little about them.