Search results

1. C

Planted tank help

I must agree with John in that "Otocinclus" cats are very good for algae removal. They get into the smallest nooks and crannies while being very peacefull. I used to have 50 gal planted tank consisting of crypts and Java ferns that started off slow but soon populated the tank. For substrate I...
  2. C

Fish Question

You could include some asterina stars. Theese are very small starfish that just climb your LR and sides of the tank eating deitrus and algae. My first fish was a yellowtail damsel. I was lucky because he hasn't been really agressive or hurt any of the other fish. But like the school yard bully...
  3. C

Blue Legged Hermit Killing Snail!

Heck, my blueleg hermits didn't care that they were fed "crab cake' pellets, given Dozens of shells to pick out of, they still decimated my nessarious and turbo snail populations, and themselves. The larger hermits pulled the smaller hermits out of their shells till there was only about two...
  4. C

Pumps Needed

Did you look in Walmart? Some of them in our area cary one for about $18.00. I just use mine for circulation along with my skimmer and refugium.:wave:
  5. C

OT: CONGRATS to Billyr98!!!!!

Re: CONGRATS to Billyr98!!!!! Congratulations to your family, Billy! The next time I run into you at "In Living Color", I hope you have her with you so I can see the little dickens. hehe. :snshne:
  6. C

O.T. Happy Birthday SNELLY 50!!!

:snshne: Happy Birthday Snelly! :bday1: I always enjoy reading your posts. I hope that your day is a GREAT one. :flower:
  7. C

baby nessarius snails

nothing new has been added to the tank since before Thanksgiving. if they was already in the tank, I should have seen atleast one before now. :wave:
  8. C

baby nessarius snails

Believe it or not, I never saw any eggs! They was never attached to the sides of the tank if there were eggs. They are greatly needed because for some reason new snails, nessarius and turbos don't seem to acclimate to my water, I have even tried taking all day to acclimate them. So needless to...
  9. C

baby nessarius snails

:dance: Last nite while looking into my tank, I saw what I at first took to be small grains of sand stuck to one of the glass sides. I then went and got a flashlight and shone it at an angle on the glass to see that the very small grain was moving. I found 3 three of theese tiny white, almost...
  10. C

So, what do you do for a living??

I work as a Medical Laboratory Technician with the nation's largest medical laboratory chain in Philadelphia in the Hematology dept. Rotating between running "complete bloods cell' counts on instruments, in coagulation checking blood-clotting time for patients on heparin (heart attack patients)...
  11. C

Regrettable Announcement

:tears: Dave we are going to miss you hanging around. Don't be a stranger, your advice was always apreciated, and hopefully you'll keep dropping in on us :crowd: . You will always be welcome and be one of us :contract: . Good luck with the kids! :wave:
  12. C

whoa, a star???

It's an Asterina starfish. They stay small, no bigger than a dime. Mostly live off the micro algae on the sides of the tank and liverock.
  13. C

Like In Living Color

cichlid tanks. lol
  14. C

Like In Living Color

I haven't bought any since around Thanksgiving time when I met Billy and Pete there. I think it was around $5/lb. Most of the other LFS in Marlton to Langhorne want about $7-8/lb. Their hardest problem is that they keep running out of the LR. It's downstairs against the far wall under the chilid...
  15. C

Which clown is best??

lol. no Kathy, he's kidding. I have two pink skunks and two ocellaris. The ocellaris are defenitely more friendly and less agressive to other fish ( and owners). They follow me all over when I am near the tank.
  16. C

whoa, a star???

If it is a small starfish, as you mention, you most likely have an asterina. They are small starfish that don't get any larger than about dime size. They mostly just subsist on micro algae on the tank walls and rock. The just reproduce by splitting into odd and uneven shapes.
  17. C

Like In Living Color

Did you check out their liverock? (If any was instock.) One of the most reasonable priced vendors for liverock, but they are usually done to bare-bones on it when I visit.:snshne:
  18. C

New reef

Ditto to the above. Try the seltzer, or something else that might get the mantis out of your tank. And please be carefull while handling it, it's not called "thumb splitters" without a reason. I wanted a mandarin also, but they require lots of copepods, and to keep replenishing the tank for him...
  19. C

Ocean Reef Aquatics *WARNING*

Sorry on your losses Doni, I hope that they will come to their senses and resolve this nicely for you. I hate it when a vendor doesn't come through. I had a vendor problem back in February when I bought my refugium. It took two weeks to arrive by FedEx from the day I "paypal"'d it and when it...
  20. C

OT: Its FFrankie's Birthday!!

Re: Its FFrankie's Birthday!! Hey! Happy birthday Frankie. Since the gang's all here, here's the refreshments :woody: :lurk: :crown: :bday1: I'll let Sasquatch provide some of the entertainment.