Fish Question

Rep. Day

The ammonia reached about .75 and then fell after a few days.

The current levels are:

pH - 8.4
Nitrite - zero
Ammonia - zero
Nitrate - 5.0

Dave

You could include some asterina stars. Theese are very small starfish that just climb your LR and sides of the tank eating deitrus and algae. My first fish was a yellowtail damsel. I was lucky because he hasn't been really agressive or hurt any of the other fish. But like the school yard bully, he tries to impress and see how much he can get away with. My ocellaris are like kids and will swim to your fingers and arms when feeding, and scrubbing the tank.

lcstorc

I've never seen asterinas for sale. They just appeared in my tank. I assume they came in on the LR.

Rep. Day

OK...Coral Beauty question. She (I have decided she is a she....guess because me is a guy) is finally coming out of hiding. I have been putting a little food in the tank and she has eaten a little, today she finally came out and started picking at the live rock. Is that a good sign? She has been in hiding for a few days but is now it seems getting more comfortable with the surroundings.

Also, the banded shrimp molted a few days ago and today is also starting to roam around.

does this mean things are going fairly good?

Thanks,
Dave

mps9506

Sounds good to me. Coral beauties are sometimes skittish fish, especially without other "dither" fish to help them feel a more comfortable. Given time they will start coming out more.

DrHank

Sounds great. Your shrimp will hide from the time that they start to molt until a new exoskeleton has hardened. My Coral Beauty spends all day picking at the rock is her thing.

Rep. Day

So let me ask a power head question. I have a 55gallon, on the far right a maxi jet 1200, mounted to the side panal, pointing up to create some ripples, then about 1/4 from the left, mounted on the back panel and a little lower, pointed toward the 1200, I have a maxi jet 900 pointing a little downard. Sorry if this is somewhat confusing.

The one on the left is pushing water down and toward the LR. which is pointed up and making ripples.

Do I need to change anything, should they be pointing toward each other to make bigger waves?

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always,
Dave

mps9506

So let me ask a power head question. I have a 55gallon, on the far right a maxi jet 1200, mounted to the side panal, pointing up to create some ripples, then about 1/4 from the left, mounted on the back panel and a little lower, pointed toward the 1200, I have a maxi jet 900 pointing a little downard. Sorry if this is somewhat confusing.

The one on the left is pushing water down and toward the LR. which is pointed up and making ripples.

Do I need to change anything, should they be pointing toward each other to make bigger waves?

Any suggestions?

Thanks as always,
Dave

Since you don't have any corals in there I don't think it's too big of a deal which way they are pointed, just try to make sure most of your tank gets at least a little bit of flow. Usually I recomend watching the coral polyps to determine if there is too little or too much flow in a given spot.
The nice thing about pointing power heads at each other is it makes the current more random.

Rep. Day

so tell me, with my banded shrimp and a coral beauty, in a 55 gallon do I have room for a Raccoon Butterfly? Would that make it too croweded, I also want a clown or two.

Any suggestions, I like butterflys, is there one better than the Raccoon for a beginner?

Thanks,
Dave

mps9506

Well the main thing with the butterfly is to make sure you get a healthy specimen from the start to save yourself a lot of trouble in the long run. Make sure it is eating at the store before you get it. I think a coral beauty, raccoon b/fly and two percula clowns would make a very nice tank.

lcstorc

Come visit some time.
Fl is a great place to visit and a pretty good place to live. Unfortunately it doesn't really help with the hobby since the water is so poluted and the laws are so strict there is very little native sea life that you can add to your tank.
I do have a wholesaler nearby who will ask his divers to look for a particular thing I want but that is about the only tank realated benefit.
Now the weather is where Florida is awesome. I hate the cold.

Rep. Day

I am in FL about 4 or 5 times a year...love it there. Normally end up in either Daytona or Orlando...but take road trips all over the place. I actually had the opportunity to visit with Jeb Bush on one trip, no matter what your politics, he seemed to be a very nice guy.

Yea, I am a FL fan!

Dave