New reef

klynna

Hi All,

Never done this before so excuse me if I don't know quite how it works. Anyway I'm new to this reef thing (three months up and running). I've had fresh water forever but this is quite an experience. I was given a 75 gal setup(as a gift) into which I put 55lbs live rock. I now have a small clown, a pajama cardinal, a hawkfish, a mandarin,tube anemone(really beautiful peach color) and several corals, clams, shrimp, snails and an unwanted bright green mantis shrimp that I can't seem to catch. any Ideas? So far so good, everybody is still alive and healthy. This is great!!!

vdituri

Welcome aboard!
What size is the mantis?
You really don't want him in there. He start to kill fish and animals. Trying searching for fish traps and mantis shrimp. The easiest way if you know what piece of live rock he lives in is to remove the rock.

klynna

Mantis is about 2" and growing! Bought a trap, hasn't worked yet. I've seen him in 2 spots will try taking out the rock. Thanks

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:hallo: Welcome to the Sanctuary! Mantis shrimps are the smartest crustaceans in the ocean! They laugh at traps. Once you locate its rock hidey-hole, pull that rock out, suspend it over a bucket and pour seltzer water onto the rock. The bubbling sends them shooting out of the rock. Have a bowl of saltwater at the ready and a small net so you can scoop it out of the bucket and put in the SW. Then take it to the LFS and trade it in or just give it to them. There are many people that would take a bright green mantis. Small mantis shrimps are probably not going to be a hazard to your fish. They mainly eat snails and mollusks that they can smash with their claws. If it's the spearing type of mantis, then definately get it out. The spearers go for fish. Best of luck to you!:)

DrHank

Welcome! Another thing that I would recommend is that you consider trading the mandarin. They eat amphipods and coepode almost exclusively. These are found in tanks with a lot of live rock which have been established for quite some time. You could supplement pods but this becomes an expensive proposition.

Also, the tube anemone is a beautiful creature but does possess a very powerful sting which can kill fish. Just something to consider. Good luck with your tank and again welcome.

Ditto to the above. Try the seltzer, or something else that might get the mantis out of your tank. And please be carefull while handling it, it's not called "thumb splitters" without a reason. I wanted a mandarin also, but they require lots of copepods, and to keep replenishing the tank for him costs about $20-$26 a bottle at a time. (also the same for the other dragonets and scooter blennies) Otherwise it sounds like your are doing GREAT. Post some pics when you can, we'd love to see your tank. Welcome to RS.

klynna

I hear what your saying about the mandarin but got him with eyes wide open. I'm willing to supplement the pods until I can be sure he has a good supply from the rock. He's soooo beautiful! I love my living things, have a house full. Thanks for the welcome and the advise. As for the mantis I'm working on finding his home. Again, thanks!