baby nessarius snails

:dance: Last nite while looking into my tank, I saw what I at first took to be small grains of sand stuck to one of the glass sides. I then went and got a flashlight and shone it at an angle on the glass to see that the very small grain was moving. I found 3 three of theese tiny white, almost transparent grains. Looking very closely at them, I saw that they were tiny miniature shapes of my nessarius snails. When I got home this morning I found a total of about 5 scattered around the tank on the glass. It's too hard to tell how many may be on the liverock because my Rainford's gobies are constantly spitting sand on it. As soon as the tank lights came on, like their parents, they headed to the bottom of the tank. :snshne:

Believe it or not, I never saw any eggs! They was never attached to the sides of the tank if there were eggs. They are greatly needed because for some reason new snails, nessarius and turbos don't seem to acclimate to my water, I have even tried taking all day to acclimate them. So needless to say I was greatly surprised to see them! I have had a few single turbos from time to time, but this is a first for me. And believe it or not, I am way behind on my water changes, due to the kids out of school and my refugium breaking Memorial Day weekend. I just got the parts and the refugium up and running again from scratch about two weeks ago because I lost my chaeto and copepods because I didn't have any place to store anything.

vdituri

They may also be the mini turbo snails.
A very dwarf version of the big guys.
Alot of live rock comes with them.

nothing new has been added to the tank since before Thanksgiving. if they was already in the tank, I should have seen atleast one before now.
:wave:

mps9506

I have seen lots of baby turbo, stomatella and nassarius snails in my tanks over the years without seeing any eggs. I think it is the cerith snails that leave egg trails on the glass, but I rarely see the baby ceriths.

Cassette87

Interesting! I've seen a few small snails in my tank over time, but not so small that they could be mistaken as coralline or something. I'll have to pay closer attention :)

mps9506

The stomatellas I see breeding all the time. They all come out at the same time and climb to the top of the rock work and start releasing their "stuff" into the water column. Most of the time they all do it within 3 or 4 minutes of each other. I was soooo amazed the first time I saw this.