Like In Living Color

kathywithbirds

Went to In Living Color in Marlton, NJ, about 15 mins. from the house. Great store!!

And I have been getting good advice from ya 'all (thanks!!), as (shoot, forget his name, the guy who used to work at Baltimore Aquarium) pretty much was on board with what I was doing for my fishy buddies.

Nice selection, fish look really healthy, even to a beginner like me, they had lots of standard selections as well as some really exotic specimens. The fresh water fish tanks downstairs are extensive, and there's a small room with koi and goldfish too.

They've got a bunch of clams there, beautiful! Wish I had a bigger tank already... My 3-year-old kept yelling though, got excited when she saw something she liked. And she liked a lot -- they had a "Dory" there and she wouldn't rest until it came out to see her.

Only con is the store facade is a little downplayed, had to keep an eye out for it while travelling down rt. 70.

DrHank

I grew up in NJ. Left in 68. Visited till 72. Went back a few times in 86-87. Gave it up permanently in 88. You folks have my condolences. Too quick a pace and too expensive for me any more.

In Living Color is a cool place I like it, never had a negative with them.

Did you see the shark eggs!!!!? I stil cant get over that...LOL...I so wanted to just go get a monster tank and get a shark egg...I would kill to watch it hatch.

kathywithbirds

Oh yeah!! There was one shark egg that was hatching... little white tail was wiggling all over the place out of the shell of the thing, really cool.

And let me tell you, NJ is ALOT cheaper than where my mom lives in PA, taxes are making it hard for her to afford her house. Home prices here are still reasonable in area, taxes aside. We've been in a few states now and I think this area has a fair amt. of bustle vs. $ for being close to major cities.

Did you check out their liverock? (If any was instock.) One of the most reasonable priced vendors for liverock, but they are usually done to bare-bones on it when I visit.:snshne:

kathywithbirds

No, we were still considering where to go with a tank when we went...

do you remember price per lb? I'm paying $6 per, I think that's a little high compared to online but then you have shipping...

Not to get off topic but NJ is not cheap living...lol...some places are better then others with amounts but deffently not cheap live as far as living needs all together.

And I noticed that they do move stock, cant really say if its because the prices are good and they just sell stock fast or if its cause they order what they know they will sell. (Live stock)

This is an interesting thought.I noticed that all the LFS I go to, either the livestock is fair price and dry is expensive or it the other way around but I havent found a 1stop shop yet...wierd

I haven't bought any since around Thanksgiving time when I met Billy and Pete there. I think it was around $5/lb. Most of the other LFS in Marlton to Langhorne want about $7-8/lb. Their hardest problem is that they keep running out of the LR. It's downstairs against the far wall under the chilid tanks.

jg2269jg

Hey Kathy i live in philly and if you are lookin for a lfs that sell some top of the line live stock at a very resonable pricees and live rock from like 4 to 6 dollors a lbs you have to check out the hidden reef they just reopened in bristol. I have been going there for years. They were originally located in the blue grass shoping center but a building they were attached to went upin flames and the hidden reef was destroyed but they finally reopened and it is the best lfs in the philly area. If you can get there i would give it a try.

caitrina

Or then again you could always start your own live rock production. I saw this awhile back and posted it in "articles" or something like that. It doesn't serve an immediate purpose, but when I decide where I am moving and I get moved and settled I am definitely going to try this stuff out. If for nothing else other than something to do. Would make a good school science project too.

As for the NJ v PA.....I am originally from Pa and the taxes there are ridiculous. I never thought I would say this, but FLORIDA= Home Sweet Home!

Reef Aquarium Farming News #15 p 1

ive had many bad experence with in living color such as bad advice and sick fish. all my freinds go there and all there fish had ick and pop eye they told my one freind he could but a baby hippo tang in a 29 biocube. there live rock is very cheap and there corals r alright.