Search results

1. S

Do I need to remove? Cut?

Hello, Help! My hammer oral is looking a bit different in that the base of the cluster is appearing light/pale compared to the rest of the stem, and there is a stringy white substance that comes out, but only occasionally. Do I need to remove, or leave alone, or maybe just cut back to the...
  2. S

Need to add to my cleanup crew

What would be the best critters to get to aid in this clean up work? Thanks for your help! Also, thanks for the help in my previous post about how to post pics. :)
  3. S

Posting pics

I'm trying to post a picture of my green algae overgrowth to get help finding out what algae eating critters are best at eating it up. Why is it such a tedious task to post a pic? Does it really have to be smaller than 300kb? Is there an easier way?
  4. S

Female hermit crab with flower accessory

I got rid of most of the aiptasia in my tank. This one seems to be indisposable, as it is a permanent accessory of my "lady" hermit crab. (Looks like she got her man) lol Too fast for the Aiptasia-X and the peppermint shrimps. :flower:
  5. S

Can peppermint shrimp devour hermit crabs?

I added 5 peppermint shrimp to my tank on Sunday. Why? Because the lfs had a sale for 5 for $24.99 (buying 5 was cheaper than buying 3 or 4), and I also read a recommendation to have 1 shrimp per every 5 gallons of water. So - I thought adding 5 should be okay since I have a 30 gallon. The...
  6. S

Help me ID

Please help me ID. Thanks! You guys "rock"! :apint: [/url][/IMG]
  7. S

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

[/url][/IMG] Is this brown hair algae? (Center of pic). I have snails and hermit crabs. They don't eat it. When I try to pluck them out, they retreat into the rock. How do I get rid of it? Thanks for your help -shareef
  8. S

Thowing out old water

Just wondering what others do. Where do you dump your dirty saltwater when you do water changes?
  9. S

First casualty

On August 4th, I purchased a Royal Gramma Basslet, we named Gurgle after the one on Finding Nemo. Last night (August 21) we found him dead. :( Water parameters are fine: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, pH 8.2, salinity between 1.025 and 1.026, temp 80. When I purchased him, I told the...
  10. S

Problem with AERO FORCE Hang-On Protein Skimmer by CPR Aquatics

Help. I have had this skimmer for a couple months and it has been very efficient. But within the last day or two I noticed the feeder pump is not sucking in water as powerfully or efficiently as before. Before, when I would feed the fish from the other end of the tank, the fish food would start...
  11. S

Water changes and snails/starfish hanging out near surface

Question: Whenever I am set to do a water change, my sea star, and sometimes snails are at the surface. Is disturbing them and moving them down traumatic? Or is it totally fine to move them as needed?
  12. S

Water changes

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but if ammonia/nitrite/nitrates are 0, and water still looks clean, is it necessary to do a % water change?
  13. S

Dead Turbo snail

I have a turbo snail that is obviously dead. I also have 2 scarlet legged hermit crabs that I think have already gone through mini-molting cycles, so I think will be in search of a new shell. My ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are at 0. Should I leave the dead snail in the tank, and leave it for...
  14. S

Hello

I am new to the saltwater aquarium hobby. I am taking it slow and simple, and hope to gain a lot more knowledge from this forum and with experience. One reason for taking it slow is the cost of the hobby. Whew! But it is worth it. The hobby has a calming, meditative effect on me. I have a 29...