Dead Turbo snail

shareef

I have a turbo snail that is obviously dead. I also have 2 scarlet legged hermit crabs that I think have already gone through mini-molting cycles, so I think will be in search of a new shell. My ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are at 0. Should I leave the dead snail in the tank, and leave it for the hermit crabs to discover? Or is it best to remove it? Thanks.

Doogle

I have smaller tanks and would remove it. Larger tanks can put up with larger ammonia spikes after deaths like that but if it's easy to grab I'd get it out.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hopefully he doesn't have a hermit large enough for a turbo snail shell unless it was a baby turbo. If so, get him his own tank. :)

bmplank86

Has been struck by the ban stick
One time I saw my massive hermit crab take a turbo snail and eat it alive...then take its shell. It was awesome

"No rain, no rainbow"

KRAZE

Snail isn't gonna cause much of a problem in a tank, unless its a MASSIVE snailin a small tank. If anything, take out the shell, rinse it out and put it back in...I have a couple dozen shells in the back of my rockwork, and I always notice hermits switch them for reasons unknown, I guess just for a change cuz sometimes they downsize, other times upsize!

shareef

Well whattya know! We tried to take the ol' turbo out, and he's alive, so we put him back in. How could he have not moved at all from the sand gravel for almost 2 days? But not complaining.

Some times my very large turbo stays upside down on my over flow for days at a time.... Ill never under stand the odd things that go on in my tank lol